Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #31

Yeah I only tried to get to it in U1 just to see if I could get at it. Probably missed saving it. Thing is I want to disable it across the board. Doesn't seem possible. Having it disabled for so many years I'm going to have to learn how to use the camera all over again. Or just get rid of it. Not a happy camper.

02-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyoa1 Quote
Or just get rid of it. Not a happy camper.
You may send your junk to me. I will even pay the postage and send you a K10D in exchange.

I have some sad news for you. The back-button AF behavior is not the only difference between your K10D/K20D and the K-3. The current generation Pentax cameras are improved in almost every way and that includes the user interface. While much as stayed the same, much has changed. It is what it is. Live with it.*

Steve

* Or buy a different brand and learn that camera instead.

(...moved up from the K10D about 9 months ago and despite my advanced age, the transition went very smoothly with few surprises...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-13-2015 at 10:23 PM.
02-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Yeah I only tried to get to it in U1 just to see if I could get at it. Probably missed saving it. Thing is I want to disable it across the board. Doesn't seem possible. Having it disabled for so many years I'm going to have to learn how to use the camera all over again. Or just get rid of it. Not a happy camper.
U1, U2 and U3 are factory defaults unless you save them, so if you go to U1 and turn the camera off and on, it will reset it to shutter button af.

Start with changing the user modes and saving them with back button AF. Then as you use each of the other modes, set it in the menu. Eventually you won't have any shutter button focus unless you are in green mode.

It has been a while, I bought mine when they first were released, but I vaguely remember having shutter button focus come back until I set the User modes. You have to do the same thing for saving in raw mode and other basic settings. Although this is a bit of a nuisance and very ill defined and documented, you will find it handy. Certain conditions call for Av mode, for example, and the settings will stick for that mode, meaning that you can go back to it and find it set up.

I am working through setting up consistent video settings in all the modes on my bodies so that if I switch into video mode it works as expected.
02-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #34

Really just got the camera a week ago. (Shooting Pentax from the 70's) Aside from the AF it's great. But right now having quite a bit of snow with giant flakes. Had to pull out the k20D to get some clean shots of the back yard. Sounds really tedious to have to disable it in each mode. Not to mention no option in green. I pretty much always thot of the shutter AF a bug, not a feature. Oh well.

02-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Really just got the camera a week ago. (Shooting Pentax from the 70's) Aside from the AF it's great. But right now having quite a bit of snow with giant flakes. Had to pull out the k20D to get some clean shots of the back yard. Sounds really tedious to have to disable it in each mode. Not to mention no option in green. I pretty much always thot of the shutter AF a bug, not a feature. Oh well.
Hmm, I've never had any problems getting AF2 to stick on the K-3 (nor the K-5 for that matter). Might be because I don't use Green mode, though - P is my green mode, no less automatic in any way, but with all the customisation you could want.
02-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Not sure if this is happening, but if you use green mode the settings might stick for other modes.