Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 USB connectivity issue

I called Amazon this morning and requested a return of my K-3/135 lens package. I am having serious connectivity issues with it connecting to my computers via the USB 3.0 cable. It randomly connects when it wants to and it will freeze up or disconnect itself randomly. Then I have to manually take out the battery and put it back in for the K-3 to function again.
So it's going back for a full refund including the shipping which was nice of Amazon even though it was sold through "Electronics Basket", who by the way is a nightmare to try & contact.

Even though I love the K-3, I'm not entirely sure that I'll get another one right now. I've got 3 fine older Pentax bodies that all can produce some fine photos...

01-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I called Amazon this morning and requested a return of my K-3/135 lens package. I am having serious connectivity issues with it connecting to my computers via the USB 3.0 cable. It randomly connects when it wants to and it will freeze up or disconnect itself randomly. Then I have to manually take out the battery and put it back in for the K-3 to function again.
So it's going back for a full refund including the shipping which was nice of Amazon even though it was sold through "Electronics Basket", who by the way is a nightmare to try & contact.

Even though I love the K-3, I'm not entirely sure that I'll get another one right now. I've got 3 fine older Pentax bodies that all can produce some fine photos...
Hmm, with computer stuff like this I'd say the camera might not necessarily be to blame. Do you have a usb3 driver?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hmm, with computer stuff like this I'd say the camera might not necessarily be to blame. Do you have a usb3 driver?
Dealing with USB document scanners on a daily basis I agree. Mine from the same place has worked fine so far with no issues. And from the sounds of things hope I don't have to deal with Electronics Basket. If another USB port is available on your host worth a try switching to that one and see if it is a port hardware issue. I am running Windows 8.1 with default Microsoft driver version 6.3.9600.16459 for USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.
01-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys but I can assure you that it is NOT a problem on the computer's side.
I used to build computers with my son for many years. I currently own an i7 MacBook Pro running the latest version of Mavericks and Windows 8 via VMware...I also have an Asus i5 Zenbook with two native 3.0 ports.
Connecting the K-3 is the only issue I've had trying to connect via USB 3.0 PLUS the camera was locking up.

Anyway the K-3 is now on it's way back to Amazon for a full refund plus my shipping charges. Amazon Concierge service is excellent!
I decided that I won't replace the K-3 right now. I'm going to hone my camera skills on the K-7, K20D & K200D for the time being.

03-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

I had similar issues. It had to do with a cheap cable for me. It is a reliable connection with a good cable.

LOVE the camera, by the way.
03-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A little of topic but FYI:

One can also use a micro USB and connect to the wider of the two parts in the USB3 on the camera (the cable android phones use for charging and connecting to the computer) and get USB 2 speed.
03-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

Oh, apparenly I was using the USB 2 micro cable. Sorry to have been off topic myself.
03-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
I had similar issues. It had to do with a cheap cable for me. It is a reliable connection with a good cable...
This would be my first point of suspicion as well.

Steve

03-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
Oh, apparenly I was using the USB 2 micro cable. Sorry to have been off topic myself.
I just installed a USB 3.0 card and the K-3 did not connect right away, but after a restart it works just like the USB 2.0. I got a really heavy 3.0 Amazon Basics cable. Multiple RAW files transfer much faster. Now if I can just learn how to use Lightroom....