Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I've heard that product review sites have practically had to beg Pentax for kit to review, and still they'd get put off for months sometimes. Other companies seek reviewers out and practically push the products on them. Pentax, being thin on staff, have failed to hire people to concentrate on this. And yet, in reality, it's one of the most important positions in the company. Hopefully Ricoh is changing this.
In the USA, RIAC hired a full-time, experienced Web-presence marketing person at the Denver headquarters. In the ensuing months the vibrancy of the RIAC website has improved dramatically. It feels to me as if 'Talk' in the online community has picked up. It seems as if DPReview has offered more attention and the ancillary reviewers are more measured in their commentary.

Imaging Resource has been a good friend to Pentax since James Malcolm came aboard (in terms of offering coverage and interviews, not measured in terms of expressed fanboy opinion) and seems genuinely impressed with the K3.

The problem we have is a desire to see immediate results. That won't happen. It will simply take time to heal the relationships damaged by Hoya (and by the actions Pentax had taken for a full decade prior to Hoya). Other companies buy their way into stores and magazines with ad money. That's like crack - feels great for a while, then you have to have more, and eventually it ruins you. I believe Ricoh will limit itself to reinvesting cash flow - there won't be very much 1st-mover expenditure on advertising until revenue has already risen. We've waited so long, and now we'll just have to wait longer.

Secondly, it isn't as if Sony and Olympus are just standing still waiting for Pentax to rejoin the party. Nature abhors a vacuum. Others have moved into the niches Pentax vacated. There are only so many shelves in a store and ad pages in a mag. If your competition is already on 'the shelf' you have to move them off the shelf - possession is 9/10ths of the law. Dealers will replace somebody with Pentax when they're convinced they can make more money in the allocated shelf space than they're already making - and not before. Same for the advertising / review relationship.

I know for a fact Ricoh has invested considerable time and effort in trade shows coincident with introduction of the K3 - much more than in the past and much more businesslike than we've seen in years. Their space at CES this year was professional and oriented to making presentations to dealers. Ricoh's strategy is to spend their money offering a higher profit margin on Pentax products so dealers will show the product rather than buying fleeting eyeballs n magazines and webpages so more consumers will buy from Amazon. Interestingly, that's the story they tell in the conference rooms to the dealers.

From the outside we can't see what they're doing - but they're really doing a LOT that we can't see. It will take longer to see the results, but in the end we'll be much better off.

02-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
that PR department seems to be absent after almost 3 years.
On the contrary, the PR department in Denver (for USA) is vibrant and very active, but they're focused on individual dealers and trade shows and on individual customer situations. We only see advertisements, which they aren't buying right now.
02-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Even digitalrev tv and thecamerastore are complimenting the K-3 even though they admit they are not Pentax fans
02-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On the contrary, the PR department in Denver (for USA) is vibrant and very active, but they're focused on individual dealers and trade shows and on individual customer situations. We only see advertisements, which they aren't buying right now.
I think that this strategy is good when you sell business copy machines. Not when you want to be known and to sell to individual consumers. And dealers are making place on the shelfs for products that are desired by many consumers, or for producers who pays for big advertising campaign. Last week, the biggest camera store in my country has sent a hole page of advertising material over the net, only for Olympus. Is Olympus bigger or richer than Ricoh, or they simply has more experience on individual consumers market?

02-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Im not saying that DPreview is biased , but,,,, i have noticed in their reviews, on their studio test setup image comparison, that three Pentaxs they tested slightly back-focused. I'm not sure if it was something they overlooked , the lens they used, or if they just failed to double check the focus
02-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a bunch of Pentaxes in my family, too. My wife's X-5, my bunch, and my daughter uses a K200D.
02-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I think that this strategy is good when you sell business copy machines. Not when you want to be known and to sell to individual consumers. And dealers are making place on the shelfs for products that are desired by many consumers, or for producers who pays for big advertising campaign. Last week, the biggest camera store in my country has sent a hole page of advertising material over the net, only for Olympus. Is Olympus bigger or richer than Ricoh, or they simply has more experience on individual consumers market?
The USA market differs from most others. For instance, the K500, a consumer-grade, entry-level dSLR, is only for USA and EU. Other than WG there really aren't any other consumer cameras here, for Walmart and Target and Costco where Pentax doesn't distribute. Q is a special market. dSLR's and expensive lenses need to be seen and held in dealer shops.

Olympus is already on the shelf and in the box stores.

Dealer promotion is essential for Pentax to succeed here and Ricoh has to give dealers a reason to order their cameras. Profit margin is the reason Ricoh gives. All the ads in the worlld won't make a dealer stock Pentax if they can't make a profit selling the cameras.

It is a multi-year strategy. These are the foundation steps. Ads and consumer promotion comes later.
02-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
digitalrev tv
When did they do this?

All I've seen is that K-5iis review they did. I'm surprised I missed their complement of the k-3.

02-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
When did they do this?

All I've seen is that K-5iis review they did. I'm surprised I missed their complement of the k-3.
Ohh my bad. Mixed up with another review. But there were other reviewers who admitted that they are not Pentax fans but are amazed but the K-3
02-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The problem we have is a desire to see immediate results. That won't happen. It will simply take time to heal the relationships damaged by Hoya (and by the actions Pentax had taken for a full decade prior to Hoya). Other companies buy their way into stores and magazines with ad money. That's like crack - feels great for a while, then you have to have more, and eventually it ruins you. I believe Ricoh will limit itself to reinvesting cash flow - there won't be very much 1st-mover expenditure on advertising until revenue has already risen. We've waited so long, and now we'll just have to wait longer.
Great point (actually, your whole post was)!