Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 review

Imaging-resource.com just completed their review of the K-3, although the conclusion is still preliminary:
Pentax K-3 Review: Initial Test

While this is not the final conclusion, the praises are there:
"Inside and out, new is the name of the game for Ricoh's flagship DSLR, the Pentax K-3.. The Pentax K-3 is a true, no-excuses premium DSLR, that stands toe-to-toe with anything on the market, while besting many on features and capability."

It adds nicely IMHO to the excellent review of Adam.

02-01-2014, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #2

Now, if only DP Review and Pop Photo get off their butts and post theirs!!! But of course, it still won't beat the Nikons or Cannons they love so much.........due to being in their hip pocket!!!!!
02-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
Now, if only DP Review and Pop Photo get off their butts and post theirs!!! But of course, it still won't beat the Nikons or Cannons they love so much.........due to being in their hip pocket!!!!!
If I had to accuse them of bias, it would be rather toward Olympus. C/N product can get a bit of bashing, especially when they do compare them to u4/3 or even other mirrorless. And when they get praised, you cannot say it is not deserved: they do some good stuff, or else models above entry would never sell.
02-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I think it's great to see Ricoh's first Pentax getting such high marks from reviewers that are normally reserved in complimenting Pentax. Hopefully, it's a sign of more good things to come.

02-01-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Olympus has launch a very aggressive PR campaign, not only on DPReview, but in stores as well. And in this field, Ricoh is very far behind. That's the problem. In this world, an exceptional product will not count if is not known by many people.
02-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
If I had to accuse them of bias, it would be rather toward Olympus. C/N product can get a bit of bashing, especially when they do compare them to u4/3 or even other mirrorless. And when they get praised, you cannot say it is not deserved: they do some good stuff, or else models above entry would never sell.
I agree. I think they're favorable toward Pentax too. I even suspect at least one them uses Pentax as his personal camera. It's only been recently they've lagged behind on the Pentax DSLR reviews - particularly the K-5 II and IIs. But let's face it - on the surface (and on the spec sheet) it looks like they offer little new over the K-5, so I can partly understand the review being de-prioritized. Nevertheless, the few changes made for a significant and worthwhile upgrade for many of us (like myself).

I believe the last thing DPR wants to see is an industry with only Nikon and Canon in it. Thus they spend a lot of effort and time giving coverage to Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, and Sony, as well as Panasonic and others. Pentax is getting less coverage because they've released fewer products to cover. Olympus and Fuji have been releasing more lately, and Sony's been on a product release rampage the last 2 or 3 years.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Olympus has launch a very aggressive PR campaign, not only on DPReview, but in stores as well. And in this field, Ricoh is very far behind. That's the problem. In this world, an exceptional product will not count if is not known by many people.
I've heard that product review sites have practically had to beg Pentax for kit to review, and still they'd get put off for months sometimes. Other companies seek reviewers out and practically push the products on them. Pentax, being thin on staff, have failed to hire people to concentrate on this. And yet, in reality, it's one of the most important positions in the company. Hopefully Ricoh is changing this.

Last edited by DSims; 02-01-2014 at 02:48 AM.
02-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hopefully, Ricoh will start to step up marketing. I suspect they may want a stable of Ricoh-developed Pentaxes before they do a lot of marketing.

02-01-2014, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hopefully, Ricoh will start to step up marketing. I suspect they may want a stable of Ricoh-developed Pentaxes before they do a lot of marketing.
It could be, but I think that's a mistake anyway. You can't sell a good product at it's true potential, without proper advertising, based simply on consumers that you had previously.
02-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

It could be, but I think that's a mistake anyway. You can't sell a good product at it's true potential, without proper advertising, based simply on consumers that you had previously.
I don't disagree, but I just get a cautious kind of vibe. Hopefully, they'll pickup steam soon. We'll see. Did Hoya ever really do any real marketing or dealer support?
02-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I don't disagree, but I just get a cautious kind of vibe. Hopefully, they'll pickup steam soon. We'll see. Did Hoya ever really do any real marketing or dealer support?
I don't know. In fact, I don't remember to see some marketing campaign made by Hoya for Pentax. And the observations made by DSims, are relevant.
02-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #11

Yeh, I get asked all the time when shooting........from the older/more experienced shooters: "Pentax, really? They still make cameras???"
From the young un-informed/delusional: "Pentax, what's that?" (seems this group only knows Iphone, Canon, Nikon, and to a lesser extent......Sony)
02-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Pop Photo
I guess it's not online, but they have already done theirs. It was in the January issue.
02-01-2014, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Yeh, I get asked all the time when shooting........from the older/more experienced shooters: "Pentax, really? They still make cameras???"
From the young un-informed/delusional: "Pentax, what's that?" (seems this group only knows Iphone, Canon, Nikon, and to a lesser extent......Sony)
My December Disney trip, an older Disney photopass photographer was excited to see my Pentax. He said he still had a box of takumars. I told him that they would work on a digital Pentax. What I should have done was offered to buy them!
02-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
Forum Member

I guess it's up to all of us to promote Pentax when we can. My daughter and I both shoot Pentax so we can share lenses and accessories. When she wanted her first camera it was a no brainer but all her friends were getting Canons and Nikons. I know she's glad with our choice. When I bought my first set up some 20 odd years ago, it was a Pentax. I don't recall why I bought Pentax but I'm glad I did.
02-01-2014, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edchristenson Quote
I guess it's up to all of us to promote Pentax when we can. My daughter and I both shoot Pentax so we can share lenses and accessories. When she wanted her first camera it was a no brainer but all her friends were getting Canons and Nikons. I know she's glad with our choice. When I bought my first set up some 20 odd years ago, it was a Pentax. I don't recall why I bought Pentax but I'm glad I did.
This is something that we do anyway, willing or not. But I hope that Ricoh managers don't relay only on us to do their PR. If it's so, they can resign. Now.

And even they made a lot of changes, including some unnecessary, IMHO, like the brand name, that PR department seems to be absent after almost 3 years.