Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dust Removal

Went to use the "dust removal" function on the K3 for the first time the other day and noticed it makes no noise, no vibration. It does display the "Dust Removal" screen though.

My K-r would give a significant vibration and noise when using this function. Understandably, the K3 is a different beast, different sensor. I can't compare the K100d, because it does not have this function.

Has anyone else noticed if there dust removal function is eerily silent and lacking tactile feel? I kind of think mine is broken or engineered to work to the extreme

02-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ignore, found this through internet search (had no results using forum search) :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246184-dust-removal-question-k-3-a.html
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Based on how folks claim the shutter is almost completely silent I wouldn't be surprised to hear they have dampened the dust removal as well. I know when I turn on my K-30 the Dust Removal is audible and I can feel it. It always seems like it might be detrimental to the longevity of the camera. however, I still us it.
02-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
Based on how folks claim the shutter is almost completely silent I wouldn't be surprised to hear they have dampened the dust removal as well. I know when I turn on my K-30 the Dust Removal is audible and I can feel it. It always seems like it might be detrimental to the longevity of the camera. however, I still us it.
This leads me to my new question, is it detrimental to use the dust removal function (on shutdown) every time? Is it "necessary" (insert Dodgeball quote)? How many of you wild Pentaxians use the dust removal function on a regular basis?

On my K-r I only used it once in awhile, usually after being in a dusty environment or during a rocket blower cleaning.

02-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai

I have mine set to go on each time I fire up my K5, and it hasn't hurt it at all. I remember thinking the same thing when I went to it from the Kx. I couldn't hear it (then I read Ultrasonic Dust Removal in the manual) where the Kx felt like it was going to try to jump from my hand. I'd leave it on, can't hurt!
02-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the k-x & k-5ii set to dust removal at start up. Can't hurt, might help?
02-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same thing here, on start-up. Works pretty good.
02-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I've noticed the only time that I hear/feel the sensor is when I have Shake Reduction on during Live View. I can't hear or feel it it otherwise, ever. I remember reading somewhere that you could tell that it was working during shutter actuation while using the OVF, but I have yet to be able to discern that it was working.

02-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it on the K-30 at start up and power off.
02-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
jup
Forum Member

If you're in very quiet place and your ears are good, the dust removal can actually be heard. But it's very high frequency silent pitch, kind of reminds me of a dentist's drill.

I have both K-30 and K-3 set to dust removal on shutdown. Can't hurt.