Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
How to clean my camera after shower?

Hi mates!

Yesterday I went for some shooting with my K3 and the 18-135 WR. In the meantime it started to slightly rain but I was not worried about it due to the piece of mind that WR gives you. But afterwards I started think: how to securely clean/dry the gear? What is your experience and comments on this? As me, coming from a "rebel/EOS D" world I never give any thoughts on this because at the first drop I just tucked my gear and headed to a shelter.....

Looking to receive your feedback so that I can enjoy this winter's rain more...

02-02-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great question, I'd like to know more about it too. I've never felt confident to get the gear wet even though it is claimed to be water resistant. When it does get wet, is it just a matter of wiping it down? Cleaning the glass? Obviously you shouldn't set right back in your bag.
02-02-2014, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

Microfiber cloth wipe down?

At first, when I read your title, I wondered why you were showering with your camera. Then I decided that maybe I didn't wanna know...
02-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it is just rain then I would think it is already clean as soon as it dries off. If it is muddy/sandy rain then I just rinse it gently under a shower, turning it over but at the same time careful not to zoon the lens, as it could draw in water by suction, Do not open the shower for full flow, just enough to get a fine spray rather than a dribble.

After the rinse wipe off with a cloth, a microfibre one seems best, and leave to dry. There will inevitably be water in the openings of the SD-card, battery and so on, and even around the lens mount. The water is kept out by the seals but if you open the door while there is still water near the seal some of it could get in when you open the door or remove the lens.

If you are in a hurry and need to open the SD door, remove the lens or something it wouldn't be such a big deal as it would only be a tiny amont of water - avoiding that is just a precaution but one well worth knowing and worth observing unless you're in a big hurry.

02-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi

It is a little tedious process. Great care needs to be taken, any amount of left over water, will cause problems in long run - Not to mention early fungal and residue sticking.

1. Use Paper Tissue to absorb water. "Do not wipe". Just dab and absorb. Use 5-6 folds.

2. Use a hair dryer - Not on maximum but on medium or low. If there is no way to turn it down, then do it from a distance.

3. Leave for a few hours - If possible under a table lamp. Although at this point all the moisture probably is already gone.

4. Use a Micro-Fiber cloth and clean, all the small fibers of tissue paper, which may have been stuck. Shine it like it was a formal black shoe

5. Use a Air-pump if you have one. (This is optional but in the end).

Thats it. Yes, If you think it is an overkill - The white layering on lens and spots on sensor aren't too slow to appear.

Cheers!
02-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like to keep a microfiber towel handy when bringing equipment out of the rain, kind of let it draw the moisture from the camera and lens, if needed then a smaller microfibre lens cloth to get into the finer crevices, then allow to air dry before putting it away or changing lenses. I'm careful even though I feel pretty good about the seals. I've had my K-30 and 18-135 on a tripod in a steady rain for 30 minutes. It was probably out in the intermittent rain and mist at least a half our before and after that before getting out of the weather.
02-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Patience

Go slowly. I once dropped a Casio point and shoot in a rain pool in the Superstitions. Water was relatively clean but it had been there awhile. I did not notice that I had dropped the camera for at least 5 minutes. Naturally, I assumed the worst. After I retrieved it I removed the battery and sd card before patting it down. I left all ports open and left it completely open to air but not sun for a week. Arizona is very low humidity so that probably helped dry it out. After a week it fired up fine and still works. There is a bit of stain/discoloration or something on the lens but it is not visible in photos. So the moral is be patient and you may save your camera. I would follow a similar regime with my K3 despite the weather proofing claims.

02-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With my K5, I have been out in the rain often over the years. I even rinse it under a faucet when necessary after working in dirty conditions.

I only let it air dry. Nothing more.
02-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexZav Quote
Hi mates!

Yesterday I went for some shooting with my K3 and the 18-135 WR. In the meantime it started to slightly rain but I was not worried about it due to the piece of mind that WR gives you. But afterwards I started think: how to securely clean/dry the gear? What is your experience and comments on this? As me, coming from a "rebel/EOS D" world I never give any thoughts on this because at the first drop I just tucked my gear and headed to a shelter.....

Looking to receive your feedback so that I can enjoy this winter's rain more...
let dry

with moist lens tissue clean optical elements , then clean the body with the same wipe.

Use two seperate micro fibre cloths one to polish up optical elements and the other to remove finger marks off body

Job done no risk to camera that 'puting in the shower' introduces (cameras are not ip rated so won't take forced water).
02-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #10

Just wipe off the water and let it dry. I'm sure there won't be any harm given that both bodies and lenses are WR. Dont' worry, it's Pentax, not Canikon
02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I just let mine sit until the water evaporates.
02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

When you get back inside after rain, wipe the body and lens barrel (not the glass) with a rag or paper towel. If the lens glass is wet use a microfiber cloth that you only use for lenses.

Then let the camera sit to air dry a few hours before storing it in a camera bag. Rotate the focus and zoom a few times to get humid air out.
02-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have these strategies for a wet camera. I've never gotten my K 10 or K 5 more that slightly damp from rain, but...

I try to keep a plastic bag with me just in case!

A couple of stories. Some years ago I managed to slop some record cleaning solution, probably dilute ethyl alcohol, into my Harmon Kardon HK 590i receiver. It promptly went dead. I turned it off, unplugged it, cursed mightily, and let it sit for a week or so. When I summoned the courage to power it up, all was fine. This was easily 20 years ago, and its still goin' strong.

The other tale isn't so happy. Some friends of my parents managed to spill some chicken noodle soup into their color TV. The repair shop told them to junk it, and they did. Just imagine ... a salty solution enhanced by a good portion of chicken fat. I suppose it might be dunked in a solvent, but.....
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just shot during a rainy morning in Florida at a bird reserve with the 18-135 on a K-5 and a DA*300 on a K-3.
When I got back to the hotel I extended the zoom out to air dry the barrel an removed the hoods on both lenses.
I just let the gear air dry attached to the cameras
The lenses have a coating that prevent water drops. Once it is all dry if the are no spots don't mess with it.
Otherwise you can wipe the lens with a microfiber.
I did not need to touch the lenses as the hoods kept water from hitting the front element.
I have used this process in similar conditions in other places with no issues.
02-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The best way to clean it is not worry and take it back out into the rain. Had my K-30/18-135 out in a monsoon for 3 days straight. We were good and soaked. Used a towel to wipe it dry at the end of each day. When I got back home, I rinsed it off under the sink (at very very low pressure), dried it with a normal towel, cleaned the front element with my lenspen, and never worried about anything.