Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #16

At this point we must isolate the problem down to type of batteries. We know that there has been a problem with the AA NmH batteries. Now when you report in be sure and mention AA or the standard D-L190 battery. Grok and Skipper. Which batteries are you using?

02-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
for the record -

D-L190 in camera, Sanyo Eneloops in grip, batery type=auto, preference=grip first - camera reported battery depletion and turned off even though batteries in grip were charged. Had to turn back on and changed settings to:
D-L190 in camera, Sanyo Eneloops in grip, battery type = NiMh, preference=grip first - camera working fine so far; haven't depleted grip yet so not sure if it will automatically switch to camera when grip batteries become depleted.

I have not had the power on issue reported in the other post.
02-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
At this point we must isolate the problem down to type of batteries. We know that there has been a problem with the AA NmH batteries. Now when you report in be sure and mention AA or the standard D-L190 battery. Grok and Skipper. Which batteries are you using?
Both D-L190. Main battery is Pentax genuine, second in the grip is one from the eBay, that I've been using in my old Pentax K-7. Without problems so far.
02-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #19

I'm happy to report today that my battery grip with AA Tenergy Premium 2500 mAh Ni-MH rechargeables successfully handed off to the body battery with no hesitation! I'll try the D-L190 now in the grip and see how that works. I must say that I liked the heft created by the 6 AAs in the grip. Made if feel very pro like and stable handling the big lens!

07-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #20

K-3 grip aa depleted, inconsistent

Hi All,
I am having really strange behavior on my brand new (B&H bundled) grip with K-3

(no battery in camera body)
Grip with 6 fresh alkaline AAs (tested 1.4v, 5a each) has shown 1 bar of battery left
Inserting the holder with main pentax battery into the grip shows 100%

(with main battery in the body and AAs in grip, grip-first setting)
Playing with battery settings (auto to alkaline and auto detect, turning camera on and off) is showing: battery depleted, one bar, of 100% randomly

I have upgraded to firmware 1.03, same behavior

This could be
1) defective voltage sensor (but is it not the same sensor used when main battery is in the grip??)
2) software bug
3) bad contact (maybe)

I see some issues with grip power posted, but not quite the same. Is anybody having the same issue?

Thanks,
Julian
07-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianrz Quote
Hi All,
I am having really strange behavior on my brand new (B&H bundled) grip with K-3

(no battery in camera body)
Grip with 6 fresh alkaline AAs (tested 1.4v, 5a each) has shown 1 bar of battery left
Inserting the holder with main pentax battery into the grip shows 100%

(with main battery in the body and AAs in grip, grip-first setting)
Playing with battery settings (auto to alkaline and auto detect, turning camera on and off) is showing: battery depleted, one bar, of 100% randomly

I have upgraded to firmware 1.03, same behavior

This could be
1) defective voltage sensor (but is it not the same sensor used when main battery is in the grip??)
2) software bug
3) bad contact (maybe)

I see some issues with grip power posted, but not quite the same. Is anybody having the same issue?

Thanks,
Julian
Your description implies the batteries cannot sustain a reasonable voltage under load which is quite common fro Alkaline batteries.

Alkalones are really a stop gap when the chioce is nothing or alkalines , You will never get reasonable run times out of them as they will faill early even though potentially only partially discharged.

It's an issue with alkaline technolgy and hi drain not a camera issue.
07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by julianrz Quote
Your setup is new, why not just give Ricoh support a call and ask their advice?

Steve

05-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your setup is new, why not just give Ricoh support a call and ask their advice?

Steve
What is the correct number at Ricoh to call for this issue?

I bought a K-3, and a brand new D-BG5 battery grip from Adorama. When the battery grip is used with rechargeable batteries (that work fine in my K-5ii with D-BG4 battery grip) the on-off button on the grip will not turn the camera on or off. I have firmware version 1.21.
05-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virtualjsk Quote
What is the correct number at Ricoh to call for this issue?

I bought a K-3, and a brand new D-BG5 battery grip from Adorama. When the battery grip is used with rechargeable batteries (that work fine in my K-5ii with D-BG4 battery grip) the on-off button on the grip will not turn the camera on or off. I have firmware version 1.21.
Their Web site has both a toll-free telephone listing and a link for online chat. If there is some fine point related to using your grip, they should be able to help.

Customer Care | Ricoh Imaging

Steve
05-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #25

I never saw any issue with grip batteries since updating firmware
05-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter

K-3 D-BG5 Battery Grip Power Switch

After a closer reading of the manual, I found this comment on page 13:

Memo
"It is recommended to turn off the battery grip when using the camera in a position other than the vertical position as the switch may accidentally be pressed."

This all makes more sense - the power switch on the battery grip only turns the grip on or off, and is not meant to turn the camera on or off.

That'll teach me.
06-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

my "fuel" indicator goes to around 50% really fast but stays at that spot a long time. firmware 1.21 with grip

Randy