Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 incorrectly reports battery grip battery dead

Received a new K-3 and battery grip last week - the B&H deal.

I have eneloops in the grip (6 AA batteries) that are charged, and the pentax battery in the K-3.

In the menu setup I had 'auto' selected for battery type, and 'grip first' selected regarding the preference of which power source to drain first. After taking just a couple of shots, one with flash, the camera reported "battery depleted" and lockup up (white lettering on a black background on the rear LCD.

I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on. Then I went back into the menu and selected "auto" for the power source preference (grip vs camera). The camera reported that both power sources were at full charge.

I will try to choose Ni-Mh as these batteries run at a slightly lower voltage than alkaline AA's, and will retry the 'grip first' setting. There seem to be two implications of the above:

1) the 'auto' battery selection does not correctly recognize the nominal voltage characteristics of the envelop batteries and
2) the "auto" setting for the power source does not allow the system to automatically switch from grip to camera when the grip batteries become depleted.

I don't yet yet know if the auto setting will support a switch from camera to grip when the camera battery is depleted, nor what the behavior will be with the grip first, or camera first settings.

Interested in the experience of others on the forum.

02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there. Are you using the latest camera firmware?
02-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey there. Are you using the latest camera firmware?
Indeed - downloaded and updated to 1.01.
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
Received a new K-3 and battery grip last week - the B&H deal.

I have eneloops in the grip (6 AA batteries) that are charged, and the pentax battery in the K-3.

In the menu setup I had 'auto' selected for battery type, and 'grip first' selected regarding the preference of which power source to drain first. After taking just a couple of shots, one with flash, the camera reported "battery depleted" and lockup up (white lettering on a black background on the rear LCD.

I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on. Then I went back into the menu and selected "auto" for the power source preference (grip vs camera). The camera reported that both power sources were at full charge.

I will try to choose Ni-Mh as these batteries run at a slightly lower voltage than alkaline AA's, and will retry the 'grip first' setting. There seem to be two implications of the above:

1) the 'auto' battery selection does not correctly recognize the nominal voltage characteristics of the envelop batteries and
2) the "auto" setting for the power source does not allow the system to automatically switch from grip to camera when the grip batteries become depleted.

I don't yet yet know if the auto setting will support a switch from camera to grip when the camera battery is depleted, nor what the behavior will be with the grip first, or camera first settings.

Interested in the experience of others on the forum.
A slight correction for #2 -- I mis-spoke. Should read:

2) apparently when selecting 'grip first', the camera does not automatically switch to the camera battery when the grip batteries are depleted or reported to be depleted.

02-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It has been my experience that AUTO selection of battery will only be triggered if the camera is turned off and on.

Jack
02-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
interesting -- what is the behavior if "grip first" is selected, and the grip runs out of juice?
02-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
As far as I understand the new 1.02 firmware has fixed this bug.
02-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #8

Do you mean 1.01? No it doesn't. My grip batteries, (NmH) depleted today and it shut the camera down. I put a new regular battery in and it started up. I'm going to auto now to see what it does. Doesn't it make sense to have the grip deplete first since it is the easiest to change out rather than taking off the grip to get to the camera battery? What are others finding on their grip batteries? This may be only a AA battery issue.

02-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Do you mean 1.01?
No, try 1.02: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Changes to V1.02

• Added Bracket shooting in [Anti-Aliasing Filter Simulator].*How to operate Bracket shooting click here.
  • Improved stability for general performance. *Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated and following contents will be improved.
  • Improved stability of battery level indicator when using with battery grip.
  • Optimized performance of continuous shooting when setting AF.C mode.
Dan.
02-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

Thanks Dan- this must be a brand new firmware? I just updated to 1.01 two days ago!! Impressive that Pentax is acting this quickly with firmware updates.
02-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Do you mean 1.01? No it doesn't. My grip batteries, (NmH) depleted today and it shut the camera down. I put a new regular battery in and it started up. I'm going to auto now to see what it does. Doesn't it make sense to have the grip deplete first since it is the easiest to change out rather than taking off the grip to get to the camera battery? What are others finding on their grip batteries? This may be only a AA battery issue.
This was what I had originally noticed. The behavior of my K-5 was that there would be automatic switching from grip to camera battery when the grip becamse depleted. The K-3 both mis-reported that the grip battery was dead when it was not (with the battery selection set to auto, and NiMh batteries in the grip), and failed to automatically switch from the grip to the camera battery when it reported that the grip batteries were depleted.

I saw another post suggesting that the v1.02 firmward has not remedied this problem? Will be interesting to see what folks report with v1.02.
02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Strange, I'm not suffered that problem with 1.01 firmware, maybe because in my K-3 are both Ni-Mh batteries.

02-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Does the firmware 1.02 resolves this issue: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242792-k-3-power-issue.html ?

JP
02-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
No, this issue is not fixed.
02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
No, this issue is not fixed.
Too bad.
One has to wonder if this will ever be fixed with firmware or perhaps it is an entirely "physical" problem.

JP