Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I didn't know that Pentaxforums was founded by former DPR members who had been banned by DPR for criticising DPR's bias.

I've given up participating on DPReview's Pentax forum anyway. In fact I don't really know why anyone would continue with DPR's Pentax SLR forum when the alternative is PF. I myself much prefer PF. Participants are much friendlier on the whole here and not as nasty to each other (most of the time). And the information and advice about Pentax products is way, way better here. Where else would you find such a comprehensive and well researched review about a new Pentax lens than Heie's review of the HD 55-300 lens?
Adam really has done a wonderful job here, creating a community that is informative and full of people who help you improve your photographic skills. To me, the quality of photos that people post here is at a higher level than that of those posted in DP Review as well. But it really is the general lack of people attacking others that is nice. Since the political forum closed, there hasn't been a whole lot of that at all.

02-13-2014, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Where else would you find such a comprehensive and well researched review about a new Pentax lens than Heie's review of the HD 55-300 lens?
Wow....that is a tremendous compliment.

Thank you.

My wife, on the other hand, was not as pleased and appreciative as the rest of you by the amount of time invested in that review

-Heie
02-14-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Wow....that is a tremendous compliment. Thank you.
You're very welcome - it's well deserved. Please thank your wife from all of us for sharing you with the Pentax community.
02-14-2014, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter

Found on the DPR discussion forums....

<< K-3 Camera Type: Best Professional APS-C camera ever made, winner of DPR’s own Best DSLR/SLT Camera of the Year (landslide), dubbed by Nikonians as the “Pentax D400” and by Canonites as the “Pentax 7D Mark II” >>

02-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

<< K-3 Camera Type: Best Professional APS-C camera ever made, winner of DPR’s own Best DSLR/SLT Camera of the Year (landslide), dubbed by Nikonians as the “Pentax D400” and by Canonites as the “Pentax 7D Mark II” >>
That's amusing. Can you send me that link?
02-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol! Love it.
02-15-2014, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

That quote is mine To get the full context of that quote, it was in response to the D5300 review. Here's the full comment:

Name:  logged in2.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  94.5 KB

Now, the reason I have that screenshot is because I noticed it was hidden by the mods at Deter Pentax Reviews for criticizing their bias. This is the view you would see if you went to that post:

Name:  logged out.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  46.0 KB

-Heie

Edit to Add. DPR user "BorisAkunin" (I don't know his PF alias or if he even has one?) had the following to say. Thought it was relevant to the discussion and my post here:

QuoteQuote:

@R. Butler:
You got the Df-review out on December 20th, I'd doubt that it had much impact on christmas shopping choices. 4 days is a very sort time to choose and procure such an expensive christmas present...

And even if you couldn't get the K-3 review finished before christmas, you could have published it in parts, like you did with the K-5II review (Which took 267 days to be finished!?!).

Frankly, it very much looks like you're favouring certain brands, i.e.:
  • Nikon D600: Reviewed in 61 days, posted 6 weeks before christmas day.
  • Canon 6D: Announced 4 days after the D600, reviewed in 148 days, posted 7 weeks after christmas day.
  • Nikon D7100 vs Canon 70D (direct competitors!): 61 days vs 121 days
And Pentax reviews always take forever:
  • K-5: 89 days
  • K-r: 183
  • days
  • K-30: 161 days
  • K-5II(s): 267 days (!!!)
  • K-50/K-500: 236 days and counting...
  • K-3: 119 days and counting... (131 as of this post)
Frankly, the way you prioritise reviews (especially in case of direct competitors) does seem to favour certain brands and cameras. This may just be due to your (correct or incorrect) perception of aggregate user interest but at least in some cases (D600 vs 6D is the most obvious one) the appearance of favouritism (mostly towards Nikon & Olympus, it seems) is hard to overlook.

All the parts of your reviews that require trust on the part of the reader (like your opinions on AF speed or ergonomics) are pretty much useless if we have to consider you to be biased...

I only read the reviews for the Studio comparison tool and to get a detailed look at the control layout and UI, for everything else there are more trustworthy sources out there...
Another comment from a different post by Boris:

QuoteQuote:

Reviews of Nikon and Olympus cameras seem to have sped up in the last ~2 years while the reviews of Canon cameras have slowed down. Sony and Fuji reviews have always taken relatively long and the Pentax reviews come in last or
never...

Nikon -vs- Canon:

In 2010, the reviews for the 60D and D7000 where both done 76 days after the announcement, 2-3 years later the 70D-review and the 6D-review took 121 and 148 days while the D7100- and D600-reviews only took 63 and 61 days. The Nikon reviews seem to get priority...

Olympus:
The OM-D E-M1 review was done 48 days after the announcement. 18 months earlier, the E-M5 took 82 days but the E-P5-review took 146 days just recently. It looks like the E-M1-review was fast-tracked...

Pentax:

The fastest was the K-5 review at 89 days, the other reviews took much longer (K-30: 161, K-r: 183, K-5II: 267). The K-3 review is at 119 days and counting (131 as of this post), the K-50/500 review at 236 days and counting... (slowest Nikon: D5200, 129d; slowest Canon: 5DII, 149d)

The K-5 review back in 2010 was the only Pentax-review that wasn't slower than the slowest Nikon- or Canon-review. Even the minor upgrades in the Canon "Rebel" series get higher review-priority than the Pentax cameras. The K-5 and
K-3 may be complex, feature-packed cameras that take longer to review but the K-5II(s) was a minor upgrade of the K-5 and still took for f**king ever and the new K-50 and K-500 are nearly identical to the K-30 (the K-500 isn't sealed and
the ergonomics have changed from the K-30). The K-50/500 have been announced 236 days ago, they've been available for months and - given that most of the camera is identical to the K-30 - a review wouldn't take too much effort. If every
entry level upgrade from CaNikon gets a review, so should the Pentax (and Sony) offerings.

Those who are already invested in the Nikon F- or Canon EF-mount to a prohibitive degree are unlikely to buy entry level cameras (Nikon D3x00/D5x00, Canon xx0D/Rebel, Pentax K-30/50/500), those will mostly be used with the kit
lenses. The problem is that Canon and Nikon maintain their market share without having to compete with the smaller brands. Those who want to buy entry-level DSLRs only know about CaNikon, most retail stores only sell CaNikon, CaNikon can
afford a lot more marketing (getting you products review is part of marketing!) and Canikon cameras/lenses are reviewed much more than the smaller brands...

I would have thought that the point of reviews was to provide unbiased information for INFORMED purchase decisions. The least informed buyers are also those who are least affiliated with any of the brands and least concerned with the availability of specialty lenses, there's no reason for them not to consider the smaller brands and they're most dependent on good reviews. I don't understand why anyone who's already invested in - say - Nikon DSLRs would care whether the D3300-review get's priority over the K-50/500-review.

As it is, CaNikon get's free marketing from every direction... they get the entry-level market handed to them without actually having to out-compete the smaller brands on price or features.

More competition in the entry-level market would be better for all users. It would also shrink profit margins for manufacturers, distributors and retailers...

Remind me, who owns this site again?

Last edited by Heie; 02-15-2014 at 12:31 AM.
02-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you get banned?

02-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Did you get banned?
No, just selectively it seems

-Heie
02-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #55
Site Supporter

^ Frustrating
02-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #56
Site Supporter

The link is still active...
DPR Hates Criticism...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-15-2014, 04:45 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

It is almost as though DP Review wants to wait until the D7200 comes out and then review the K3 against it. I don't understand the delays though -- it is as though they didn't have staff enough to review anything other than a few select cameras that they want to. Even Amazon owning them shouldn't really make a difference, because I imagine Amazon to be brand agnostic. They just want to sell gear -- they don't really care what brand. they make small amounts on each camera sold and want to have enough volume to turn a profit.
02-15-2014, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please don't comment anymore.

Let's just all agree we all hate DPr. DPr is biasedand everything else...

If not DPr is a great company etc. etc.

I just don't want this threat to turn into "Why I wouldnt by a K-3".

Please don't comment anymore. I just shared an information. Geeze you peeps :P Passion is something - You are like, I don't know too sensitive.

*Goes back to doing dishes and cooking as he pissed off his wife today*!
02-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is almost as though DP Review wants to wait until the D7200 comes out and then review the K3 against it. I don't understand the delays though -- it is as though they didn't have staff enough to review anything other than a few select cameras that they want to. Even Amazon owning them shouldn't really make a difference, because I imagine Amazon to be brand agnostic. They just want to sell gear -- they don't really care what brand. they make small amounts on each camera sold and want to have enough volume to turn a profit.
That is exactly how it works, they post reviews of nikon gear fast and in that review they ignore the fact that there is or has been announced a cheaper more ergonomic pentax that has the exact same sensor but squeezes a little more juice out of it then they wait for the next nikon version to be announced to review the pentax and say well if you like this pentax wait till you see what nikon is going to be putting out.
03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Maybe it has been posted elsewhere already, but DPR no longer blocks links to pentaxforums.com.

Just in case you wanted to link to a thread here, you now can do so without resorting to tricks.

I've read most of DPR's arguments as to why reviews for Pentax cameras (including the K-3) always take so long. They blatantly admit that they are prioritising according to popularity. However, I cannot quite shake off the feeling that there is more to this than just being a small team that needs to focus on what is in high demand.

When reviews are late, there are often oddities like comparing the Pentax with its introduction price to a new Canikon product that does more for the same price, completely ignoring the much lower street price of the Pentax. Or the build quality of the D7100 is judged to be much better than that of the K-5 II, etc. The list goes on. Some of this could be a lack of systematic evaluation (it is admittedly very hard to apply the same standards of evaluation to all products across all brands) but some aspects (e.g., the skewed "value for money" evaluations) seem to be something other than incompetence. Maybe I'm wrong.