Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
Stevebrot,
Yes, it is making contact with all the pins of the hot shoe. I just rechecked the B&H on my K-x and it works fine except for the slave mode that fires on the pre flash. Won't self adjust at all on the K-3. It can only function in full manual.

Pentax Bob
This is too bad. I have heard of slight changes to the P-TTL implementation with newer camera models that results in loss of function with various 3rd-party flashes. This may well be one of those cases. Some of the Tumax-made flashes support firmware updates. With any luck, yours may be one of those models. If not, the Metz 36 AF-5 is upgradeable and may meet your needs going forward.

Here is a related post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/243643-bell-howell-flash-issues-my-k-3-a.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2014 at 12:13 PM.
02-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reverenddude Quote
eaglem, do you have to dial the power back on your 58af2 at all? I have one as well and when using it, I seem to always have to keep it -1ev to get (what I feel is) optimally exposed photos.
I usually take the aperture up a number or two and that seems to get exposure right.
02-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I also asked B&H Photo about the compatability of the Sigma AF 610 Super with the K-3. I got a non answer which was quite a disappointing surprise. I am curious about this flash based on very good report in The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison. Anyone out there with first hand experience with this flash on a K-3??

Thanks again for all your help.

Pentax Bob
02-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Anyone used Sigma 530 DG Super on K3?

Anyone used Sigma 530 DG Super on K3? Just wondering as I never use this on my K5 as I end up going on manual moode with a Nikon SB24 or SB25 instead.

However, with the improved flash metering on the K3 I am wondering whether this would give a new lease of life to the flash.

02-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Anyone used Sigma 530 DG Super on K3?
I can report that the standard Sigma 530 DG ST works fine on the K-3, bounce flash and everything, so the DG Super probably will too.
02-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #36

Is this the Sigma you are talking about?: Sigma EF610 DG Super Flash for Pentax DSLR Cameras F18109 B&H

Remember- the K-3 no longer does regular TTL- only PTTL.

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 10:10 AM ----------

Different item but considered a flash accessory- what have all of you used for a secondary battery pack for the 540 flash? This one is at eBay:

External Flash Battery Pack for Pentax AF 540FGZ | eBay

The Pentax one is much more expensive and some don't like the cord length-- too small:

Pentax TR Power Pack III 37225 B&H Photo Video
02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I run a Sigma 530Super and it goes like a champ.
Me too although mine just started doing a long (.5s or so) delay between the initial P-TTL flash and the one for the exposure, but it's not unlikely that I have somehow done that myself via a camera or flash setting inadvertently.

Edit to add: Ok, it was me. I had red eye reduction inadvertently turned on in the camera. D'oh!

Last edited by mattb123; 02-20-2014 at 10:44 AM.
02-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #38

Original Poster
Yes, Gosman that is the Sigma flash unit I am asking about.
01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a metz meca-blitz pttl for my pentax. works well on my K-5 as well as on my K-01. Just a great flash. I have no idea what a pentax brand flash goes for, but it doesn't matter to me.... I went with METZ and am glad I did..... I'm such a smart man..... oh!! and modest too!... DIGIT-up
01-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Pentax Bob,

Is pTTL essential to you? While I agree with the gist of other posters regarding the quality of Metz, etc., you want to be sure that pTTL is all that important to you. For me, it will only be used for macro photography because of its poor overall consistency and especially the very long lag (more than a quarter second) on all K-3 implementations. I find it unacceptable for candid photography.

The great thing about the K-3 flash is that you go with manual ratio flash on-board - using it as a trigger for an external flash that can serve as a slave (I like going with the Wein HS optical slave). The on-board can go down practically to a controller - contributing nearly no flash, or some fill as you see fit. This gives you consistent output, simple to use with minimum of devices needed, easy to balance for softer look, and the shutter lag evident in pTTL is no longer a factor.
01-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #41

Perhaps someone here could confirm that what I'm seeing below with my K3/Metz 58 AF2 occurs with other flashes including those made by Pentax.

Turn on the flash in the hotshoe and go to a dark room. Try focusing through the viewfinder and see if that the focus assist lamp on the flash lights.
Then change the camera to Liveview and try focus. The on-camera green assist lamp comes on instead of the one on the flash.

This would seem to be a bug, but where do I report it.

Also like others ( The flash system options for the Pentax 645z Chris Giles Photography Blog ) I'd like the focus assist lamp to light much sooner.

Last edited by CptDibble; 01-28-2015 at 07:54 AM.
02-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #42

METZ 76 MZ-5 mecablitz digital

Do you have an idea if METZ 76 MZ-5 mecablitz digital works flawlessly with K-3? I've heard some rumours HSS is not compatible between the two and Metz now works on a new Metz/Pentax adapter module to be on par with K-3.
06-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I run a Sigma 530Super and it goes like a champ.
Try shooting HSS with a K-3 and 530 Super. Mine will not fire above 1/180s mounted on a K-3, and will fire in HSS (FP) mode on a K20D using identical settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
however WR a flash would be I'd feel exposed shooting with 25,000V two inches from my nose in the wet
I expect that high voltage on a flash is pretty harmless. You may get the equivalent of a static shock. Current is what makes electricity dangerous, and there's very little of it in a flash gun (i.e. milliamps). The only way low current can harm you is if it is connected directly to your bloodstream and routed through your heart, as in some medical treatments.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can report that the standard Sigma 530 DG ST works fine on the K-3, bounce flash and everything, so the DG Super probably will too.
I don't doubt the 530 ST functions all operate flawlessly on the 530 ST, but it does not have capability for HSS or Wireless. The 530 Super is supposed to have these extra functionalities, and Wireless works as intended. HSS, on the other hand, is not available with the 530 Super on a K-3.

I've used the 530 Super on several older Pentax bodies, with full functionality. I don't know whether the newer Sigma 610 Super would be fully functional on a K-3.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-28-2015 at 10:04 AM.
08-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I have the Metz 58 AF2 and that has PTTL and works like a charm on the K-3.
I agree! Nothing wrong with the Metz mega-blitz 58. Wonderful, And EXPENSIVE!! RJM
08-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've had lots of people recommending Metz flash units - - add me to the list. They make a range of models from inexpensive to bigger than your camera body. Select by features & price. You can never go wrong with the TOTL, but that means $$, bulk and weight.