Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
K3 - RAW support (PEF/DNG) by Apple (Aperture3, OSX)

Dear fellows! Is anybody happening to know details about when Apples finally supports PEF/DNG in Aperture 3 or OSX? - Is there a work-around? Thanks a lot! Uncle Pete

02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
I think nobody outside Apple knows. But they seem to release updates quicker and more frequently recently than they did a year or two ago. The most recent update added support for Canon EOS M2, and the previous one Nikon D5300, Nikon Df, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony Alpha 7 and Sony Alpha 7R
02-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think nobody outside Apple knows. But they seem to release updates quicker and more frequently recently than they did a year or two ago. The most recent update added support for Canon EOS M2, and the previous one Nikon D5300, Nikon Df, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony Alpha 7 and Sony Alpha 7R
Dear Gazonk, yes I noted the recent updates for NiCaSo-models. Obviously, those cameras are all newer and marketed by the three big ones NiCaSo. Looks like prioritization done by Apple to satisfy NiCaSo customers fast, doesnīt it? Kind regards and thanks for your reply!
02-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Pete Quote
Dear Gazonk, yes I noted the recent updates for NiCaSo-models. Obviously, those cameras are all newer and marketed by the three big ones NiCaSo. Looks like prioritization done by Apple to satisfy NiCaSo customers fast, doesnīt it? Kind regards and thanks for your reply!
Well, the Dec 18th update also included Olympus OM-D E-M1 support, just 3 months after the release of that camera. We are now close to 4 months after release of the K-3, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. But maybe they have to get their DNG engine updated first?

02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,726
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Pete Quote
Dear fellows! Is anybody happening to know details about when Apples finally supports PEF/DNG in Aperture 3 or OSX? - Is there a work-around? Thanks a lot! Uncle Pete
Download Adobe's free DNG Converter,and your convert your files with it, then run them through iPhoto or Aperture.
02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Download Adobe's free DNG Converter,and your convert your files with it, then run them through iPhoto or Aperture.
@normhead: Thanks for good advice for this interim workflow solution!!
02-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, the Dec 18th update also included Olympus OM-D E-M1 support, just 3 months after the release of that camera. We are now close to 4 months after release of the K-3, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. But maybe they have to get their DNG engine updated first?
@gazonk: hope dies last :-) cheers and thanks!
02-05-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, the Dec 18th update also included Olympus OM-D E-M1 support, just 3 months after the release of that camera. We are now close to 4 months after release of the K-3, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. But maybe they have to get their DNG engine updated first?
Somewhere it was posted that Apple claims Pentax has not delivered the necessary code to them for proper K-3 RAW file decoding. Frankly, I can believe this as the multi-AWB capability must require some special metadata be embedded in the file. AFAIK, no other software package outside of perhaps Sikypix can properly handle the mulit-AWB function so this would be consistent with Apple's response. A related scenario was support for Fujifim's RAW files from the X-Trans sensor. Adobe supported them early but everyone complained about the output. Apple supported it much later but seemed to get it right. Maybe that's what's going on here, too.

02-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Somewhere it was posted that Apple claims Pentax has not delivered the necessary code to them for proper K-3 RAW file decoding. Frankly, I can believe this as the multi-AWB capability must require some special metadata be embedded in the file. AFAIK, no other software package outside of perhaps Sikypix can properly handle the mulit-AWB function so this would be consistent with Apple's response. A related scenario was support for Fujifim's RAW files from the X-Trans sensor. Adobe supported them early but everyone complained about the output. Apple supported it much later but seemed to get it right. Maybe that's what's going on here, too.
Thanks for your profound input.
02-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Pete Quote
@normhead: Thanks for good advice for this interim workflow solution!!
@normhead: Itīs working. Excellent!
03-20-2014, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 42
Aperture Support for K3

Just released today, Aperture now supports K3. I haven't tried it yet as I had to rush off to work.

Tim
03-20-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,399
Aperture is importing K-3 DNG files just fine now. I've been testing it all day.
03-20-2014, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 51
A tad late

A little late. I picked up LR5 at half price from B&H. For me it's working well. I've got a semiautomatic export to iPhoto for streaming/devices. I didn't think I'd like it as well, but I actually like it better (warning: very subjective opinion, YMMV). The disadvantage is some duplication, as I've got RAWs in LR and smaller jpegs in iPhoto/Aperture, instead of the single, shared library. I did shrink the jpegs, as they don't need to be full resolution for TVs and devices, but I'm glad I've got a 2TB drive.

I'll have to go back and test Aperture and really do a head to head test.
03-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
Junior Member
Uncle Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 70 km South-East of Munich (DE)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36
Original Poster
Finally, Aperture seems to be ready for K3! I Need to Download Support immediately...
--> I really appreciated all your remarks, advices and thoughts related to my Q.!
03-21-2014, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,122
BEWARE: Don't use PEF! Aperture loses lens identification. It works with DNG files though. However, it doesn't register focus point.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture 3, apple, dng, dslr, installation, k-3, k3, k3 raw support, osx, pef, pef/dng, pentax k-3, raw
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3's DNG and native Apple Aperture support - Update? 6BQ5 Pentax K-3 16 08-03-2014 04:23 PM
K3 pef/dng readable in Lightroom 3.6? hoanpham Pentax K-3 5 12-21-2013 12:33 PM
OSX support for RAW Bolin27 Pentax Q 4 02-09-2013 02:13 AM
PEF files converted to DNG with Lightroom not readable by Raw Therapee? klh Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 08-08-2012 06:13 AM
K5 raw DNG files borked by Aperture/Apple Raw upgrade? filmamigo Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 02-22-2011 04:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top