Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 - RAW support (PEF/DNG) by Apple (Aperture3, OSX)

Dear fellows! Is anybody happening to know details about when Apples finally supports PEF/DNG in Aperture 3 or OSX? - Is there a work-around? Thanks a lot! Uncle Pete

02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think nobody outside Apple knows. But they seem to release updates quicker and more frequently recently than they did a year or two ago. The most recent update added support for Canon EOS M2, and the previous one Nikon D5300, Nikon Df, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony Alpha 7 and Sony Alpha 7R
02-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think nobody outside Apple knows. But they seem to release updates quicker and more frequently recently than they did a year or two ago. The most recent update added support for Canon EOS M2, and the previous one Nikon D5300, Nikon Df, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony Alpha 7 and Sony Alpha 7R
Dear Gazonk, yes I noted the recent updates for NiCaSo-models. Obviously, those cameras are all newer and marketed by the three big ones NiCaSo. Looks like prioritization done by Apple to satisfy NiCaSo customers fast, doesnīt it? Kind regards and thanks for your reply!
02-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Pete Quote
Dear Gazonk, yes I noted the recent updates for NiCaSo-models. Obviously, those cameras are all newer and marketed by the three big ones NiCaSo. Looks like prioritization done by Apple to satisfy NiCaSo customers fast, doesnīt it? Kind regards and thanks for your reply!
Well, the Dec 18th update also included Olympus OM-D E-M1 support, just 3 months after the release of that camera. We are now close to 4 months after release of the K-3, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. But maybe they have to get their DNG engine updated first?

02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Dear fellows! Is anybody happening to know details about when Apples finally supports PEF/DNG in Aperture 3 or OSX? - Is there a work-around? Thanks a lot! Uncle Pete
Download Adobe's free DNG Converter,and your convert your files with it, then run them through iPhoto or Aperture.
02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Download Adobe's free DNG Converter,and your convert your files with it, then run them through iPhoto or Aperture.
@normhead: Thanks for good advice for this interim workflow solution!!
02-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, the Dec 18th update also included Olympus OM-D E-M1 support, just 3 months after the release of that camera. We are now close to 4 months after release of the K-3, so I think there's reason to be hopeful. But maybe they have to get their DNG engine updated first?
@gazonk: hope dies last :-) cheers and thanks!

02-05-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Somewhere it was posted that Apple claims Pentax has not delivered the necessary code to them for proper K-3 RAW file decoding. Frankly, I can believe this as the multi-AWB capability must require some special metadata be embedded in the file. AFAIK, no other software package outside of perhaps Sikypix can properly handle the mulit-AWB function so this would be consistent with Apple's response. A related scenario was support for Fujifim's RAW files from the X-Trans sensor. Adobe supported them early but everyone complained about the output. Apple supported it much later but seemed to get it right. Maybe that's what's going on here, too.
02-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Somewhere it was posted that Apple claims Pentax has not delivered the necessary code to them for proper K-3 RAW file decoding. Frankly, I can believe this as the multi-AWB capability must require some special metadata be embedded in the file. AFAIK, no other software package outside of perhaps Sikypix can properly handle the mulit-AWB function so this would be consistent with Apple's response. A related scenario was support for Fujifim's RAW files from the X-Trans sensor. Adobe supported them early but everyone complained about the output. Apple supported it much later but seemed to get it right. Maybe that's what's going on here, too.
Thanks for your profound input.
02-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
@normhead: Thanks for good advice for this interim workflow solution!!
@normhead: Itīs working. Excellent!
03-20-2014, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Aperture Support for K3

Just released today, Aperture now supports K3. I haven't tried it yet as I had to rush off to work.

Tim
03-20-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Aperture is importing K-3 DNG files just fine now. I've been testing it all day.
03-20-2014, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A tad late

A little late. I picked up LR5 at half price from B&H. For me it's working well. I've got a semiautomatic export to iPhoto for streaming/devices. I didn't think I'd like it as well, but I actually like it better (warning: very subjective opinion, YMMV). The disadvantage is some duplication, as I've got RAWs in LR and smaller jpegs in iPhoto/Aperture, instead of the single, shared library. I did shrink the jpegs, as they don't need to be full resolution for TVs and devices, but I'm glad I've got a 2TB drive.

I'll have to go back and test Aperture and really do a head to head test.
03-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
Finally, Aperture seems to be ready for K3! I Need to Download Support immediately...
--> I really appreciated all your remarks, advices and thoughts related to my Q.!
03-21-2014, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BEWARE: Don't use PEF! Aperture loses lens identification. It works with DNG files though. However, it doesn't register focus point.