Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here is a link to a first impression of the FLUcard on the K-3. It’s from a batch of test units that have arrived in Hamburg. I don’t have time to translate the whole thing, but here are the key points about how it works.

Erste Erfahrungen mit der FLUCard für die PENTAX K-3 | Wolli's Gedankenspiele

- No application installation necessary - it works in a browser. He tested Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
- When you enter “remote capture”, you can see the shooting parameters on the screen.
- You can change all normal parameters, including the AF point.
- Pressing the virtual shutter button creates a thumbnail of the shot. By clicking that thumbnail, you bring up the photo directly.
- The EXIF data is shown and can be recorded.
- Data transfer takes 5 seconds for a file at full resolution and 3 seconds for the lowest resolution.
- A “LV” button in the browser deactivates the remote control and another click will reestablish the connection.

Basically he was really impressed and he can’t understand where all the negativity about the FLUcard has come from, especially since hardly anyone has had the chance to try the card out.
I think the flucard will be a hit- but it's taking way too long to come out!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the flucard will be a hit- but it's taking way too long to come out!
I prefer waiting and getting a well thought out product, but it is hard to wait because this card seems to work pretty well. In april i will visit the USA, would be nice to have it until then.
02-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Looks like a nice feature/thing! I hope PF make some kind of review with a video that shows how this works in the future

I have no experience with tethering on other brands so I must ask - what features are unique with this flu card compared to the competion?
02-07-2014, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I got the Flu, i was not impressed with it,,, and continue to be unimpressed with it.
I think this is why the delay. Last fall someone somewhere actually tried the product and it was decided to delay until it was finished. This is good.

02-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a link to a first impression of the FLUcard on the K-3. It’s from a batch of test units that have arrived in Hamburg. I don’t have time to translate the whole thing, but here are the key points about how it works.

Did the German reviews make any mention of the new flucard's effect on battery life? I've heard that non-Pentax flucards run down the battery very quickly.
02-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I got the Flu, i was not impressed with it,,, and continue to be unimpressed with it.
Just FYI... if you got it with your K-3 as an extra (an 8GB wifi card?), you have a "generic" Trek Flucard and not the one specifically made for Pentax. The Pentax one says OFC-1 on it and is a 16GB Class 10 card.
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Basically he was really impressed and he can’t understand where all the negativity about the FLUcard has come from, especially since hardly anyone has had the chance to try the card out.
What I really hate about the Flu card is not having one :-(
02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter

This looks really good. Makes the K-3 even more tempting...

02-08-2014, 12:25 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Now someone needs to come up with an elegant way to attach your smartphone to the K-3 to be used as a tilt and swivel screen. :-)
02-12-2014, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
Now someone needs to come up with an elegant way to attach your smartphone to the K-3 to be used as a tilt and swivel screen. :-)
I thought the idea of the Flucard was that it shows the Live View image on the phone's screen, so a tilt and swivel screen is a redundant concept?

People have moaned about no Tilt screen or built in Wi-Fi for the Pentax K-3 BUT if the FluCard idea works than it is a better option that either, and puts the K-3 ahead of competitors.

ALSO I saw it was supposed to work with Apple iPhones and Android smartphones, but being a Microsoft fan I have a Windows 8 Smartphone by Nokia.

Does anyone know if it will work with a Windoows phone too? If there is "no installation, it works in a browser" surely it should work with any WiFi enabled smartphone and it's browser????
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
I thought the idea of the Flucard was that it shows the Live View image on the phone's screen, so a tilt and swivel screen is a redundant concept?
Yes, true. But a "loose" phone or tablet requires another hand to hold. So I think tom1803's idea -- which I think is a really good one -- is for there to be some kind of way to temporarily attach a phone to the back of the camera in a desired orientation, so you get the benefits of a tilt screen without needing to hold onto something else.

Sounds like a job for an aftermarket accessory of some kind. Maybe 3D printed.

EDIT: or maybe something to hold it in front of my face, like one of those harmonica holders used by Bob Dylan and others.
02-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Yes, true. But a "loose" phone or tablet requires another hand to hold. So I think tom1803's idea -- which I think is a really good one -- is for there to be some kind of way to temporarily attach a phone to the back of the camera in a desired orientation, so you get the benefits of a tilt screen without needing to hold onto something else.
I think they already make attachments that fit the hotshoe, but not sure about Pentax. I was thinking of this the other day.
02-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

one of these could easily be added to your arca/plate/clamp system

iPhone Tripod Holder for Great Photos and Videoblogging - Home

I use this with TriggerTrap and my Nikon D800

M
02-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hmmm .... I wonder how Google Glass would work out? It just might be the ultimate photographer's accessory.
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
Hmmm .... I wonder how Google Glass would work out? It just might be the ultimate photographer's accessory.
The Android OS was originally designed to be a CAMERA operating system!! I would not put it past Google to attempt an end-around every camera manufacturer. The times, they are a changing'

Michael