Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here is a link to a first impression of the FLUcard on the K-3. It’s from a batch of test units that have arrived in Hamburg. I don’t have time to translate the whole thing, but here are the key points about how it works.

Erste Erfahrungen mit der FLUCard für die PENTAX K-3 | Wolli's Gedankenspiele

- No application installation necessary - it works in a browser. He tested Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
- When you enter “remote capture”, you can see the shooting parameters on the screen.
- You can change all normal parameters, including the AF point.
- Pressing the virtual shutter button creates a thumbnail of the shot. By clicking that thumbnail, you bring up the photo directly.
- The EXIF data is shown and can be recorded.
- Data transfer takes 5 seconds for a file at full resolution and 3 seconds for the lowest resolution.
- A “LV” button in the browser deactivates the remote control and another click will reestablish the connection.

Basically he was really impressed and he can’t understand where all the negativity about the FLUcard has come from, especially since hardly anyone has had the chance to try the card out.
I reply to OP poster JP's last sentence, wondering just WHY there's so much negativity floating around about the Flu Card, well, I haven't read much since it finally came out (been a bit busy the past few days). But MY TAKE on the matter is that Ricoh/Pentax EXTREMELY DRAGGED ITS HEELS in getting this product to the market almost FIVE MONTHS after the original camera was ready, essentially leaving ALL OF US "up in the air" as to whether it will work with ONLY a smart phone (and, if so, with ONLY an iPhone, or will it work with Android, etc., as well), or will it also work with Tablets laptops and even stand-alone desktop PCs. From what you posted, it appears they STILL HAVE NOT supplied sufficient documentation to address most of those questions, so they still appear to be either "hedging bets" or just DON'T KNOW how it's going to work with what until folks actually use it "in the real world."

If this is so, it means Ricoh/Pentax is letting PAID CUSTOMERS act as UNCOMPENSATED Beta Testers, who may end up MISSING important shots because their Flu Car doesn't function like they THOUGHT it would, and they have NO documentation to tell them, either way.

To me, that's a VERY POOR WAY to do business, and I thought both Ricoh AND Pentax were ABOVE such things. I believe they need to supply a much more comprehensive manual for this Flu Card or else drop it and/or replace it with something else. It's already pretty certain the "Flu Card Idea" was some absent-minded engineer's last-minute workaround for his team forgetting to include WiFi and/or NFC in the camera, to start with, like ALL it's current competitors have -- even those on a lower tier, such as the Nikon D5300.. Take away the lack of wi-fi communication and the K-3 is, by FAR, the best APS-C camera on the market, and possibly better than quite a few of the FF cameras. It'll be a shame, however, if all MOST FOLKS think of when they think about the K-3 years from now is how it was this "great camera" the manufacturer FORGOT to put wii-fi on and then came out with a half-assed fix, instead.
Jeff

02-27-2014, 03:44 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffAHayes Quote
I reply to OP poster JP's last sentence, wondering just WHY there's so much negativity floating around about the Flu Card, well, I haven't read much since it finally came out (been a bit busy the past few days). But MY TAKE on the matter is that Ricoh/Pentax EXTREMELY DRAGGED ITS HEELS in getting this product to the market almost FIVE MONTHS after the original camera was ready, essentially leaving ALL OF US "up in the air" as to whether it will work with ONLY a smart phone (and, if so, with ONLY an iPhone, or will it work with Android, etc., as well), or will it also work with Tablets laptops and even stand-alone desktop PCs. From what you posted, it appears they STILL HAVE NOT supplied sufficient documentation to address most of those questions, so they still appear to be either "hedging bets" or just DON'T KNOW how it's going to work with what until folks actually use it "in the real world."

If this is so, it means Ricoh/Pentax is letting PAID CUSTOMERS act as UNCOMPENSATED Beta Testers, who may end up MISSING important shots because their Flu Car doesn't function like they THOUGHT it would, and they have NO documentation to tell them, either way.

To me, that's a VERY POOR WAY to do business, and I thought both Ricoh AND Pentax were ABOVE such things. I believe they need to supply a much more comprehensive manual for this Flu Card or else drop it and/or replace it with something else. It's already pretty certain the "Flu Card Idea" was some absent-minded engineer's last-minute workaround for his team forgetting to include WiFi and/or NFC in the camera, to start with, like ALL it's current competitors have -- even those on a lower tier, such as the Nikon D5300.. Take away the lack of wi-fi communication and the K-3 is, by FAR, the best APS-C camera on the market, and possibly better than quite a few of the FF cameras. It'll be a shame, however, if all MOST FOLKS think of when they think about the K-3 years from now is how it was this "great camera" the manufacturer FORGOT to put wii-fi on and then came out with a half-assed fix, instead.
Jeff
I can understand feeling like the flu card should have come out sooner, but it sounds to me as though part of the "blame" lies with the flu card folks as much as with Ricoh. As to whether or not they should have just put wi fi in the camera, this seems like a way to let folks who want this get it, while those who don't, won't. I was trying to figure out if the D7100 has wifi built in and I don't think it does, nor does the D610. Maybe all cameras will have it next year, even the D4s...
02-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I second this and is applicable for the GPS module as well.
02-27-2014, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

I reply to OP poster JP's last sentence,
All those capital letters in that post...
Almost made me deaf.

02-27-2014, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reply to OP poster JP's last sentence ....It'll be a shame, however, if all MOST FOLKS think of when they think about the K-3 years from now is how it was this "great camera" the manufacturer FORGOT to put wii-fi on and then came out with a half-assed fix, instead.
Jeff
Give Pentax a go ...the card is only being officially released today. Give them a chance to launch it and issue the full retail version which may well contain instructions and info as to what software is required/available. To bag them before the launch for not providing manuals etc is not really fair.

As I have posted before, I think using a wifi SD card is a good idea. Put Wifi in the camera itself and you are struck for the life of the camera with whatever wifi technology was commercially available probably 12 months before the camera release date when the camera specs were being locked down. With a removable card, if there is a better wifi technology available in two or three years time, toss the old card and buy the new version, and hey, instant wifi upgrade.
02-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Pentax is dooooooomed
02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #52
Unregistered User

FYI from another Flucard thread by Barry Pearson:

"...Flucard operating manual available
I don't know if this is common knowledge.

The Flucard manuals have been added to the Ricoh download page (near bottom):
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/252734-came-down-flu-card-...#ixzz2uXinNraw

02-27-2014, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Pentax is dooooooomed
That, sir, should read PentaxIsDoomed¯™
02-27-2014, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

selfhelpphotographer's review of the flucard O-FC1 is up on Youtube

02-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #55
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote

Pentax FLUCARD PRO for Pentax K-3 Setup and How To Guide - YouTube
FREAKING AWESOME!
(That's right, I used the all caps key)
02-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All those capital letters in that post...
Almost made me deaf.
Got a guy on the PRSForums who does the same thing. A painful read.
02-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Watched the video...I am now officially impressed. Seriously impressed.

Steve
02-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
As I have posted before, I think using a wifi SD card is a good idea. Put Wifi in the camera itself and you are struck for the life of the camera with whatever wifi technology was commercially available probably 12 months before the camera release date when the camera specs were being locked down. With a removable card, if there is a better wifi technology available in two or three years time, toss the old card and buy the new version, and hey, instant wifi upgrade.
I prefer the accessory (Wi-Fi SD card) solution than the built-in solution, too. Wireless technologies are making progress day by day. WiGig is a faster version of Wi-Fi. TransferJet is a faster version of NFC. Combination of Bluetooth Low Energy and Wi-Fi may invent interesting applications such as Apple AirDrop. We do not want to buy new camera whenever new communication technology is introduced, do we?

Last edited by K-3-lover; 03-03-2014 at 04:17 AM.
02-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
A very useful video.

Next, someone needs to demonstrate that it is possible to get the DNG's and/or JPEGs off the Flucard directly into a watched folder in Lightroom...

Some of the apps for standard Flucards seem to allow this. Do they also work with the Pentax O-FC1?
02-28-2014, 02:59 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Hee, I just ordered flucard...cant wait.