Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 03:11 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have now tested with the uncombined files and see that there is actually a difference. I have attached two photos showing the difference. One with the whole scene and one 100% crop.

So, WHEN I buy the K3 - I will shoot bracketing as I'm used to - until the embedded RAW will be supported 100% in Ligthroom

Attached Images

02-12-2014, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's a great thread and thanks for the info that PEF can now be a HDR raw file containing 3 ordinary raws.

However, Pentax' approach is a bit dumb though. There is little benefit over storing just 3 raw files and it may actually require extra work to extract the ordinary raws to trigger a true hdr workflow. At least until Adobe recognizes this new PEF feature.

There would have been an alternative: Combine the 3 raws into 1 linear 16 or 32 bit DNG raw file which would have been about the same size. The combining algorithm would need to demosaice and align but the K-3 is known to be able to do this. No tone mapping though. Otherwise, a linear DNG file maintains all advantages if the raw format.

Moreover, if Lightroom recognizes a deep format like 32 bit Tiff (or a linear DNG with high bit depth I guess), then it activates additional fearures meant to tone map hdrs. Like the EV slider ranging from -10 to 10 rather than -5 to 5.
Pentax approach is not a _bit_ dumb. It is really dumb.
They are storing three different raw files in the DNG format, one image as a standard image as in normal DNG files and two images as metadata.

But the really smart thing to do would be storing it in the newest DNG format specification which allows floating point data. Then it would be possible to open a HDR file directly from the camera in Lightroom. But no, Pentax/Ricoh found it more smart to use a stupid hack instead.
02-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Still better, IMO, to take the RAW files and then combine manually.
03-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #49
Inactive Account

I don't have much of a grasp of the technicalities here but this is what I have been doing:

1. Shoot in HDR Auto in jpeg and RAW.

2. Have both cards mounted on my Mac but only read the jpeg files, and from that select those I want for RAW processing.

3. Download those equivalent RAW files from the camera to the computer as Work files .

4. Open in Camera Raw and hit auto. Then process as I want it for cropping, saturation, etc., and then go to Color Efex Pro 2. I find the detail extraction works really well.

Then I go to Silver Efex and create a black and white.

I'm really happy with the results and I think this is a good way of minimising disc usage.

Last edited by regislea; 03-11-2014 at 09:09 PM.
03-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Played with in-camera HDR some this weekend. Mixed results. Bracketing with CC post processing would likely yield sharper results. Yet, these are hand-held with no tripod, which is rather impressive in itself. On +3, no edits. Sigma 18~250 DC HSM, downsized to 1024x768.

Just a test with slow moving subject ;>)

Post-processing would help some I think, but not entirely bad for straight in-camera processing on the fly.

Rite ..