Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K 3 hdr

I cannot find a good explanation for the various HDR modes, Auto, HDR1, HDR2. How do they differ? Are they all RAW captures?

02-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On my K50 and K30 the photos are automatically processed in JPEG

HDR 1 and 2 give you more of a manual control of your cameras settings

I don't own a K3 wish I did but those are my 2 cents
02-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6tagrenner Quote
I cannot find a good explanation for the various HDR modes, Auto, HDR1, HDR2. How do they differ? Are they all RAW captures?
The settings just control how big the EV gap is between exposures. And yes, they're raw compatible- but be careful, because the resulting files are huge!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Last night I worked with an HDR RAW file I had taken with the K-3 - the file was 78MB!! Took a couple minutes to import just that 1 photo into Lightroom Very nice to be able to work with HDR in RAW but unwieldy for all but the fastest/newest computers...

02-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The settings just control how big the EV gap is between exposures. And yes, they're raw compatible- but be careful, because the resulting files are huge!
I don't think it's EV gap - that's what I thought originally, but at least on K-3 this is separate setting called exposure bracket value. Can be set to +-1, +-2 or +-3. HDR itself can be set to off, auto, 1, 2, or 3. I think it's more about how aggressive the algorithm is, I generally don't use anything else then 1 or auto (which seems to mostly default to 1) since 2 and especially 3 just start to look more like surrealistic paintings.
02-05-2014, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you will find that there is minimal gain from doing bracket of 5 JPEGs versus bracket of 5 RAWs. I've actually verified this years ago with my D7100 and I saw nothing appreciably different when processed in PhotoMatix Pro. Now a bracket of 3 "might" show some differences, but I didn't see anything when using brackets of 5.

YMMV

Michael
02-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Last night I worked with an HDR RAW file I had taken with the K-3 - the file was 78MB!! Took a couple minutes to import just that 1 photo into Lightroom Very nice to be able to work with HDR in RAW but unwieldy for all but the fastest/newest computers...
Thanks, I tried the various settings and your explanation seems correct. Auto does look more natural, I think that is the setting to use.

02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by 6tagrenner Quote
Thanks, I tried the various settings and your explanation seems correct. Auto does look more natural, I think that is the setting to use.
I was going to say, I hadn't played around w/ the various HDR settings yet, but good to know Auto works best - I would assume that just takes into account the current light meter readings and decides how big a gap to use for the 3 photos.
02-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was going to say, I hadn't played around w/ the various HDR settings yet, but good to know Auto works best - I would assume that just takes into account the current light meter readings and decides how big a gap to use for the 3 photos.
Each of the settings, Auto, HDR1 etc. allow the user to set the over/under exposure. It appears that Auto and HDR1, do not enhance or stylize the effect white HDR2 & 3 do.
02-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
jup

As I said above, it doesn't do anything for gap. Gap defaults to +-2EV, unless you change it (via info menu or regular menu). It only changes the algorithm used (I think the curve is more steep for higher numbers). BTW, the ability to set bracketing EV value is something that also made its debut on lower end models - it was on my K-30 but apparently, according to manual, it's not on K-5II (which supposedly defaulted to +-3EV).
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
jup

Last night I worked with an HDR RAW file I had taken with the K-3 - the file was 78MB!! Took a couple minutes to import just that 1 photo into Lightroom
I just have to wonder if that means we end up with 42-bit RAW. HDR in effect has three 14-bit values for each pixel, so it would seem like all of them get stored in RAW file if it's so big.

Pentax. The only camera with 42 bit RAW.
02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #12

After I saw the HDR RAW, I went back to check if all my RAW files were that humongous! I've already switched to a 64 gig SDXC card and have been researching new hard drives to support my continued K-3 shooting. 6 mos ago I thought 2 TB would last a long time....
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wha? you mean the camera actually produces a Single RAW file from 3 HDR captures? or just the standard 3 bracketed raw files and a HDR JPEG? A single HDR RAW would be sweet.
02-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Wha? you mean the camera actually produces a Single RAW file from 3 HDR captures? or just the standard 3 bracketed raw files and a HDR JPEG? A single HDR RAW would be sweet.
Yes it creates a single raw file, the feature is new to the K-3. You do have to process the raw file yourself, but the extra dynamic range will be there (hence the large filesize).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2014, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Yes it creates a single raw file, the feature is new to the K-3. You do have to process the raw file yourself, but the extra dynamic range will be there (hence the large filesize).
Thanks, that's great, Ill have to try it out as I use JPG HDR often. Seems this is a pretty unique feature as I don't think there is another camera on the market which saves HRD raw.