Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
For all the work you have put into this, Pentax should refund your money and send you a new K-3. One that works properly that is.

Thanks for your contribution.

Ha. Yeah, they've already done that. Except the 2nd one had the exact same issue.

I'm home most of the day tomorrow, so I'll set the camera up on a tripod and run it as if I would at a shoot, with firmware 1.03 and see if it helps. Somehow, I doubt it will.

03-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Please let us know how it goes. Very curious to see whether this is an issue affecting certain batches. I've racked up almost 1400 shutter activations since last week and never encountered this issue, for that matter any issue. Is this turning out "Pentax's D600 oil on sensor" equivalent , if you know what I mean
03-11-2014, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE - Running Test Today, Firmware v.1.03

Updated the firmware a little while ago. Guess what? 2 minutes into the new firmware and the camera locked up. No mirror-flap, it just wouldn't respond. I shot video of it and will share later after more testing.

- - - - -

Ya know, this is all very disappointing. It's gotten to a point where I'm starting to feel as though Pentax/Ricoh doesn't think my feedback is helpful, but that I've become more of a thorn in their side that they can't get out. One of my contacts doesn't always respond to my emails anymore, and the other hasn't responded to me now in over a week, despite my basically begging him to communicate with me. I got the go-ahead to take my K3 back to the store I bought it at, but the rep who gave me that clearance has yet to confirm he's communicated it to the retailer (and the last time I talked to the retailer, he had not).

A great number of you may never run into this issue... and for that I'm glad.
I shoot architectural type photography professionally, and but for the time-lapse portion of what I'm doing, Pentax cameras have performed great for me. If I didn't need a camera that runs reliably taking time-lapse shots at short intervals for hours at a time, I wouldn't be worried about a strange little fluke of a problem that the company seems to have a hard time tracking down the cause of. I'd imagine most professional photographers could rely on their Pentax gear without much cause for alarm, because the likelihood this issue will ruin your outcome or that one important shot is probably, ultimately very small. My use in the professional arena appears to be somewhat unique.

The silver lining in all of this is that as much testing as I've done to the K3, I've also done to the K5-II... and the K5-II has been rock solid. Not a second of trouble in all the same conditions at all the same shoots. So at least we know it's possible for Pentax/Ricoh to produce a dependable, well performing camera. What is frustrating is that their newest flagship model, with all it's wonderful new features appears not to be that camera. At least for me and my purposes.

Keep in mind, I'm putting excessive amounts of wear and tear on these cameras... so if anyone has the ability to do testing, it's me. I've been shooting time-lapse at least once a week since November, and have probably put something like 85,000 shutter actuations on the K5-II since that time.... and a similar amount between the two K3s that I've had. Some of you will never put that kind of wear on your camera in its lifetime.

I'm not at all suggesting that wear-and-tear is the reason for the runaway mirror lockup. Considering the issue happened basically straight-out-of-the-box new, we know that isn't the case. What I am saying though is that because I can put 5,000-10,000 shutter actuations on my camera in one day, it's pretty obvious why I run into the issue more often than most, or why Pentax may not see this as a wide-spread, serious issue. If it only happens, on average, once every 5,000 shutter actuations, the average customer is going to run into it pretty minimally... at least in theory.

Trust me, I'm not making excuses for them... to the contrary, I'm quite annoyed and disheartened at this point. I don't WANT to give up the K3. In every other way I am truly impressed by the camera and the K5-II is a step backwards. They have tried to help me, and I have no reason to believe they won't exchange my 2nd K3 at this point either, but it isn't a solution to the problem, only a solution to my predicament at the moment. If it is never fixed, does that mean we'll all have to worry about the same issue coming up again in their next model? At this point, I'd say that is likely, and that is quite unfortunate.

I will keep you posted, and will post video later depending on my outcome with v.1.03.

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 11:24 AM ----------

Well that didn't take long

About 40 minutes in, crazy mirror lockup with firmware 1.03.

And, when the camera locks up, it loses all settings. You'll see that at the beginning of the video.

03-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It says "This video is private"

03-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It says "This video is private"
should be fixed now... oops
03-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #81

DRabbit,

Thank you for your efforts. I think this is conclusive proof that Firmware 1.03 has not fixed the mirror flap issue.
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #82
Site Supporter

Thanks for all your time on this issue, Amy. PRI should see this video. Hopefully they have somebody browsing these forums.

Jack
03-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #83
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hopefully, since I emailed it to them too, and I'm sure they aren't all that pleased I put it on YouTube.

I'm honestly at my wits end. Lets not even mention the DA* 55mm f/1.4 lens I spent a fortune buying that barely got used, had to go in for service, has been used once since then and is now promptly broken again (focus motor not working). Grrrr.

BTW, I did hear back from the Pentax rep and he now says the local store is ready to exchange my K3 (for a K5-II or IIs or both depending on how the credit works out). Going to call them this afternoon and see if I can arrange the whole swap tomorrow or Thursday.

03-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Thanks Amy for the tremendous efforts in demonstrating this issue. I think Ricoh may need to replace some hardware(similar to what they did for K5) to fix the mirror flop issue. For all the "*" SDM lenses that I have been following online, they dont seem much reliable. I mean Pentax is charging thousands of dollars of folks hard earned money and the lens doesnt even hold up? I'd be pretty upset if it ever happened to me.
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
BTW, I did hear back from the Pentax rep and he now says the local store is ready to exchange my K3 (for a K5-II or IIs or both depending on how the credit works out). Going to call them this afternoon and see if I can arrange the whole swap tomorrow or Thursday.
----------------------------

Super effort on your part, Amy.

Inquiring minds want to know if you will go for the K5-IIs?

Rite ..
03-11-2014, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Thanks Amy for the tremendous efforts in demonstrating this issue. I think Ricoh may need to replace some hardware(similar to what they did for K5) to fix the mirror flop issue. For all the "*" SDM lenses that I have been following online, they dont seem much reliable. I mean Pentax is charging thousands of dollars of folks hard earned money and the lens doesnt even hold up? I'd be pretty upset if it ever happened to me.
I've gotten clearance now from Pentax to send in the 55mm and get a replacement... which I'll likely sell anyway to help fund some of the exchanging that is going on... but I'm glad they are being more than helpful with all this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
----------------------------
Super effort on your part, Amy.
Inquiring minds want to know if you will go for the K5-IIs?
Well, considering the price difference between the K3 and the K5-II and IIs, I'm hoping to end up with one of each (with maybe a little out of pocket), otherwise it will likely be two K5-II bodies.

Another interesting thing to note... I'm trying to sell or get the best trade-in value for my Fuji x100 and XE1 right now so I can get my hands on the new XT1, which also has a built-in intervalometer. It'll be interesting to test out, since I'm a Fuji-lover too. Though Pentax will still likely remain my workhorse in the immediate future, I'm glad there are options in other brands I already use and like. Especially since I can't say I'm confident that Pentax is going to fix the issue, and it may crop up on future models (which would make me very sad).

...and with ALL of these, I'll be spending the extra money out of pocket to buy extended warranties. With all the wear-and-tear time-lapse puts on these bodies, it'll be a good thing to have.
03-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the testing DRabbit. And next time you talk to the Pentax rep, let him know there are some of us who are holding off on getting a K-3 until this issue is fixed...seems like a problem that also occurred on the K-5 as well though not nearly as much :-P
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #88
Forum Member

For those experiencing the issue do you shoot in jpeg only or RAW + Jpeg? I shoot RAW only and ive never had an issue.

Obviously there is a bad batch of K3's out there. Is this issue showing up in different countries or certain countries only? Or with k3's purchased recently i.e 2014 or purchase on or around the product release?
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Hopefully it's not a hardware fault, one which firmware can't fix. If it were a software (firmware) bug, then all K-3s would be doing it.
I suggest a record of serial numbers be made of those which have locked'n'flapped to determine if the fault is common to a batch of bodies.
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #90
Forum Member

I suspect it is hardware related, unless its some kind of memory leak in the jpeg or time lapse engine, that appears only after shooting a series of X jpegs corrupting the camera memory.. Im going to see if i can replicate the issue with my K3... I shoot RAW and also have the habit of turning my camera when not shooting so im constantly rebooting the camera so I wouldnt encounter the issue (if it is a memory leak) .

Last edited by atomx; 03-12-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: fix spelling