Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
and forward-thinking professionals.

Michael
I agree with everything you said except that last part. For anyone making a living at this, why would you pick Pentax? I assume your forward thinking pro can afford any body or lense he needs, so why not have a support network too?

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 15:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Canon doesn't have non professional support. As far as support goes give me Pentax any day.

I had my 24-105 to Canon and back inside of 10 days, two of which were a weekend. I don't have CPS and am just an average Joe.

Lots of threads on here about lack of parts in Pentax service.

02-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
CLS is a lot more than just triggering flash wirelessly.
yes, and I stated that one of the features is PTTL wirelessly which I do believe Pentax does. Another feature is multiple flash channels and using the camera as a commander... oh Pentax does that too. Nikon is incredibly simple to do it vs Pentax, but it is possible and it does work.

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote

If you are a Pentaxian who depends on your camera to put food on the table I think the mantra of the day is redundancy in bodies and lenses because their is no support network to have you back up and running quickly. There are far fewer rental houses that stock Pentax and few retail outlets to pick replacements up same day.
yup, thats what most Pentax pro/semi-pro shooters do. When I was picking up weddings part time I did buy a second K5 because I couldn't rent a backup if I needed too. Luckily Edmonton Alberta has a pretty good support for Pentax with at least two stores carrying a large selection of Pentax's. I haven't had to wait for any Pentax lens, I've always been able to walk in and pick one up.

In other news, my DA*16-50 has been repaired both times within a week by Pentax Canada. My K5 was repaired 3 times, each time within 1.5 weeks by Pentax Canada. the DA* was not due to SDM by the way, zoom ring was binding. K5 I dropped and the screen broke, then needed CLA, and finally a sensor/shutter replacement.
02-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Given about any $1500+ camera can take great shots no matter what brand, it's the service and accessories available. Go to about any major city around the world and you can rent Canon and Nikon lenses and gear. With Ricoh, that option is much smaller. Perhaps in time Ricoh will improve that but it's not going to happen overnight.
02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Given about any $1500+ camera can take great shots no matter what brand, it's the service and accessories available. Go to about any major city around the world and you can rent Canon and Nikon lenses and gear. With Ricoh, that option is much smaller. Perhaps in time Ricoh will improve that but it's not going to happen overnight.
"The Camera Store" in Calgary AB rents K20D

02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It could work in a pinch, but might be a shock to a no flash wedding shooter.

I wonder when was the last time they rented it.
02-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-3 is fantastic in many ways and you can do a lot of professional work with it.

With the Olympics in Sotchi the question is if Pentax can play in that field? Well yes that is no problem, but if you want to work for an agency they want some garanty's that you can deliver no matter what and then the pro-service comes in to spoil the K-3 party.

But the amature market for people who want to make sportsimages is huge and they spend some nice money. Ricoh can reach that market with K-3 and the lenses 60-250mm and 300mm (but a faster lens would be great). People need to see those images from sports at hi levels to even considder Pentax before buying Nikon/Canon.
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #52
Pentaxian

It could work in a pinch, but might be a shock to a no flash wedding shooter.

I wonder when was the last time they rented it.
who knows.. their rental selection for Pentax is:

Pentax
DSLR Bodies & Lenses
K20D $75/day $300/week
16-50 f/2.8 $35/day $140/week
50 f/2.8 $20/day $80/week
50-135 f/2.8 $35/day $140/week
70 f/2.4 Limited $25/day $100/week
645 135mm f/4 LS $35/day $140/week
645 75mm f/2.8 LS $35/day $140/week

fun that there are 645 lenses on there. My fav is the $300/week for a K20D rental. you rent for 2 weeks and you bought a K5iis
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
A camera, by itself, is not a system though... a system includes pro support, lenses for every occassion and situation, and flash options/functionality like Nikon's CLS.
But neither Leica nor Hasselblad (and to a lesser extent Mamiya/Leaf) have that either. And both are universally considered pro-level. So you can't have it both ways. The K-3 is a pro-level camera. Whether "forward thinking" professionals will add a K-3 to their kit remains to be seen. But I know of at least one...

Michael

02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Just the camera you'd want to cover a sports event too.
02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Point of view

Well I went to the Big Day Festival in Melbourne, Australia and one of the 'Pro's' in the pit up front had a Canon 7D. All I can say is that the K3 is pretty much an equal to this camera in my book.

Now lenses and support are a different matter for Pentax/Ricoh but it really depends on your own personal definition of Professional.

If you are doing studio work with controlled strobes, even entry level cameras can do that.
02-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you are doing studio work with controlled strobes, even entry level cameras can do that.
in a perfect world the only light would be mine....
02-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
Most of Nikon's Pro cameras have a few design choices that appeal to pros. It's not just what you include, it's also what you take away.

Off the top of my head;

Built-in battery grip
No AF-assist.
No built-in flash.
Fast flash sync.
No green mode.
CF cards.
WIFI in newer models.
Tethering.
Multi-channel,multi group wireless flash system. short flash cycle time
Very sophisticated AWB.
Usually their second-to-newest AF engine.
Fast and big image buffers.
Fast maximum shutter speeds.
A comprehensive support service.

These choices bespeak a style geared to people who want their camera to work and have a lot of image performance instead of a lot of bells and whistles. Of course, comparing the K-3 to say the D2X, the Pentax obviously wins in all the numerical attributes (except for the flash sync), but to be professional, I think at least some of the other things should be addressed.
very well said!
but my personal wish list is:
  1. Tethering.
  2. Multi-channel,multi group wireless flash system, and short flash cycle time
  3. Usually their second-to-newest AF engine and fast accurate in-lense motor to match up with
  4. Fast and big image buffers. and fast buffer clearing time
  5. A comprehensive support service.

Last edited by souless; 02-09-2014 at 01:09 AM.
02-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #58
Site Supporter

I agree with everything you said except that last part. For anyone making a living at this, why would you pick Pentax? I assume your forward thinking pro can afford any body or lense he needs, so why not have a support network too?

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 15:52 ----------

I had my 24-105 to Canon and back inside of 10 days, two of which were a weekend. I don't have CPS and am just an average Joe.

Lots of threads on here about lack of parts in Pentax service.
The reason you would pick Pentax would be for the glass. Pentax really does have some glass (particularly for APS-C) which is not matched by Canon/Nikon. Nikon/Canon shooters feel as though they are pushed strongly to go full frame and some of them don't want to. MJSfoto has shared that he bought a K3, in addition to his full frame Nikon, purely for that reason and feels like the K3 with a 60-250 matches up well with his performance expectations.
02-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I'm a pro who uses Pentax, and I personally (in real life), know of another pro who uses Pentax

I originally chose Pentax for price-point, size and lenses (I love primes). I've stuck with them despite some issues, and whoever said backup equipment was important was right. Of course, pretty much any pro would have backup equipment anyway, it's probably just more important for the pentax shooter to have. One great thing is that cameras like the K-01 and even now the K5-II have gotten so inexpensive that having multiple backup bodies is fairly easy.
02-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #60
bvg

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Pentax has no renal items?
You can't say it has!