Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

Water getting into my Pentax K3

I went out in light rain with my Pentax K3 today. All the seals were closed on the camera. (I've had a Pentax K7 and K5 for years and know what they can and can't do). After about 15 minutes in the rain, I noticed water getting into the top display. The water was actually sloshing around in the display. The camera still is working after 1 hour but the presence of water in this part of the camera hardly inspires confidence. I'm assuming the camera was made either with a mal positioned or missing seal. Obviously I'll take it to the camera dealers tomorrow and complain but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I was using the 18-135 WR lens, which I use regularly on the K5 (in the rain) and have never had a problem. The rain wasn't even heavy. It was what I'd refer to as heavy spitting or light rain. I'm obviously not happy as I was told the K3 was even more sealed than the K5 and K7. I've taken some pictures of the water ingress with my Galaxy Note 3 (even that didn't let water in) if anyone's interested, I can post the pictures if wanted.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Ian
Queensland, Australia

02-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exercise the warranty....

02-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
For sure. The camera is only a month old but it's a little disconcerting that this should have happened in the first place. Pentax have always been (in my experience) extremely well made and reliable. Have the new company (Ricoh) dropped production quality standards? It would be a sad day if Pentax lost the very thing that they have always been famous for ie, reliability and high quality.
02-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hi Ian, I have a recent experience like yours (in QLD too), see my post here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250352-k5-da-16-...odels-too.html

02-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Interesting... It could be that when they fit the seals, some may be improperly positioned. If that were the case then the water resistance would be just back to the "pre sealed" state. Out of interest, I've got caught in the rain with older film Pentax cameras and they haven't let water in. At least the K3 still works. Whether it still will tomorrow remains to be seen.
02-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K20D has no issues...it's been in a torrential rainstorm w/ a DA* lens and heavy snow w/o issues.

It's a warranty issue. Bummer that it might be a good idea to do a water under the sink test when you get a new body :-p
02-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The top LCD is fitted with a thin border of adhesive double-sided tape. The glass on my K-5 actually got a tad loose once and I had it being re-fitted under warranty. They had never seen that happening but I guess that is what happened to you to allow the water in. I tiny bit of dirt, a fingerprint, crinks or similar during assembly could probably cause this to happen and all consumer electronics products will produce a couple of lemons.
02-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, warranty issue. There are so many things that can go wrong with a camera. I am surprised that the defect rate is as low as the reported 3% across brands for dSLRs.

Steve

(Yes, that is 3% as in three out of 100)