Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Press the Info button a couple times, then use the four way controller left/right buttons to toggle through the options. The third box will turn off the status screen.
Thank you for that!

03-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I just upgraded to a k3 from a k50 and can't seem to get consistent results using center point focusing. That's all I ever used on my k50. So I will definitely try using some other AF settings next time I go out.
+1! I am always surprised at how many misses I get from the flagship camera and have long thought there must be something wrong with it. I have done all the lens and focus tests I can find to do and Pentax had it for 8 weeks and won't tell me what they did to it. My guess is nothing because I still miss focus about 1 in 6 simple portrait shots with a 50mm DA prime from 15 feet away....

So I just picked up a K-50 so I'm going the other way! Did you have more consistent results with the K-50?
03-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

My DA 50 hunts a lot, and tends to pick a different focus point often. Others have similarly indicated. The lens characteristics aren't good for portraits, IMHO. Do you have other options for shooting portraits?

In any event, if I had to shoot portraits with that lens, I'd go to manual focus and would prefer using live view and focus peaking to ensure accuracy.

Compared to the K-30 (similar to the K-50 focusing), the K-3 should do considerably better at AF (the DA 50 notwithstanding). However, the 24 mp sensor requires greater accuracy.
03-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #49

The lens that is on the K-3 70% of the time is a 70-200 Tamron followed by the current issue of the Pentax 50mm f1.8 prime. Agreed the 50 hunts a bit more than my other 2 lenses but part of that is I use it mostly for night shots and have use a flash light to focus it anyway.

I use exposure on the focus point and center spot focus with back button focus so the shutter buttion does not refocus. Shooting manual with flash or TAv usally with out it and always in RAW. You would think it be a very simple matter to focus on the eye closest to me, rotate the cam down to the rule of 3rds and fire.

Anything I am missing you think?

03-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #50
Veteran Member

No problem with your methodology, just mentioning that the DA 50 causes some trouble, and it might be more so in the pairing with the K-3. Still, I find it tends to hunt in live view as well, and on the K-01. I just think it is related to the lens more than the K-3.

As for this particular shot... It looks like you were shooting under orange sodium vapor lighting which is going to challenge any AF system, not to mention the difficulty in correcting color. In any event, the lower the lighting, the more likely I am to shoot a fast lens using MF in live view. I get far more keepers that way.
03-31-2016, 12:45 AM   #51

Yeah that was hand held and way too dark for that so it's not very sharp. I just had to keep the shot as a reminder to notice when your model has had enough!