Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

K-3 vs EM1

Hi Im thinking of switching over to Pentax system. I currently have an EM1 Olympus. My question is how is the autofocus on the Pentax with say a DA limited lens compare to the EM1 with a prime? Will I be able to shoot children with it? Also can you help me compare the tracking?

Thank You

02-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Yeah, Pentax ain't renowned for its AF tracking unfortunately. Having played with an E-M1 at a rugby match I'm fairly sure that they're pretty much evenly matched.

The E-M1 really benefits from being PDAF rather than purely CDAF; the difference between that and my previous m4/3 bodies was hugely noticeable.
02-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are two totally different classes of camera I think. The Oly is a four-thirds sensor while the Pentax is a APS-C. While the K-3 has a much improved AF system over prior models with 27 AF points the Oly has 81 AF points. I do not feel you would have any problems taking pictures of children because the AF is pretty quick and snappy on almost all of the DA LTD (i think the 20-40WR falls a little short of the primes) Maybe someone else here has some experience with the EM1 and can offer tracking advice.
02-12-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Don't underestimate either camera. Especially APS-C vs m4/3 vs 35mm.

granted this example photo was taken with an Olympus E5, but he has recently swapped over to a EM1 and loves it.

The K3 however is actually pretty good for tracking, I'm happy with it and feel its only a few steps behind my D800 when it comes to keeping something locked. The trick is use the selective point focus and get it to track that way.

I don't think with any system you would have an issue. I would look at lenses and which body feels better for you to use. The Olympus with the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is an incredibly hard combo not to love, and it will be more compact than any similar Pentax kit. However, the K3 and FA 43 or FA 77 will be impossible to beat by anything in the m4/3 or APSC worlds.

I haven't used the EM1, but I do know the biggest disappointment I had with the EM5 was AF in general, not just tracking.

02-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

^^ A wee dram off-topic, but is the 43mm really that smokin' hot? I've got the 31 and 77 and although 31 can be a handful to squeeze the pixie dust from, the 77 is great big fairy driving a freight train loaded with the stuff.

On topic. OP, two pro-tog friends have the EM-1 and swear by them. They've demonstrated tracking is way good enough. Don't know on the K-3, but I should be able to tell you next week.
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
^^ A wee dram off-topic, but is the 43mm really that smokin' hot? I've got the 31 and 77 and although 31 can be a handful to squeeze the pixie dust from, the 77 is great big fairy driving a freight train loaded with the stuff.

On topic. OP, two pro-tog friends have the EM-1 and swear by them. They've demonstrated tracking is way good enough. Don't know on the K-3, but I should be able to tell you next week.

fA43 is pretty dreamy. I really enjoy mine and I'm happy I have the trio. The 77 is the best lens ever. So yea....

The K3 is pretty good at tracking and I'm pretty happy with it overall. I'm shooting a bike race on the 22 and will be using the K3 due to the temperature I'll be at. I trust it will not fail me.
02-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lijimmy80 Quote
Hi Im thinking of switching over to Pentax system. I currently have an EM1 Olympus. My question is how is the autofocus on the Pentax with say a DA limited lens compare to the EM1 with a prime? Will I be able to shoot children with it? Also can you help me compare the tracking?
Best bet is to try one locally (ask a local K-3 owner to do a comparison shoot where you can swap cameras and try them).

I suspect the K-3 will be a touch faster, but the DA lenses have narrowed DOF than m4/3 lenses...
02-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot my kids all the time with my K3. Tracking is pretty useless with little kids, because they are so random. But for older kids, it works fine. I haven't used EM 1 though, so I can't do a comparison for you.