Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Folded . . .

Okay, so I weakened and folded on a K-3. Got a great deal and it should be here in two days.

Got a IIs, keeping that. Got FA Limited's and a bunch of other interesting windows to stick on the front.

So, is this going to be a worthy upgrade?

(I shouldn't complain either way, the Induro CT414 and BHL3 head just came in at a similar number, I can highly, highly recommend).

02-12-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a K-3 last night myself. I think it is, everything I have seen the AF system is leaps and bounds better. While the pictures may be a hair more noisy than the K-5 series the K-3 holds detail FAR better. The AWB seems to be spot on, it shoots faster in burst... I am not coming from a K-5 I am coming from a K-7 so this should be a substantial upgrade for me.
02-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I bought a K-3 last night myself. I think it is, everything I have seen the AF system is leaps and bounds better. While the pictures may be a hair more noisy than the K-5 series the K-3 holds detail FAR better. The AWB seems to be spot on, it shoots faster in burst... I am not coming from a K-5 I am coming from a K-7 so this should be a substantial upgrade for me.
Shame it's a bit noisier with a tad less DR, but the rest of the package looks interesting, especially for those using screw-drive lenses and for manual focus.

Topaz DeNoise in CS6 should sort the files out.
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! Keeping both is a good idea IMO

While the K-5IIs might be slightly better noise & DR wise, in most cases the K-3 will be a better camera

02-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote

My experience has been far different. The noise level on the K-3 has been much better than the K-5 with a lot more usable photos at higher ISO.
02-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations! I pulled the trigger last week and it arrived last Friday. I'm amazed how much faster the AF is than on the K-5. I haven't noticed any noise issues (but then I shoot RAW+ all the time and turned off NR, which some suggest causes some blurriness in the jpegs).
02-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sadatoni Quote
Congratulations! I pulled the trigger last week and it arrived last Friday. I'm amazed how much faster the AF is than on the K-5. I haven't noticed any noise issues (but then I shoot RAW+ all the time and turned off NR, which some suggest causes some blurriness in the jpegs).
Let us know which settings to use for a RAW shooter who hates high ISO noise would you.

With grip it was only a £grand so no great shakes.

02-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

When I was acquiring my 5IIs it was a top of the range half frame from Pentax. Even today, 3 would not be any necessary buy/upgrade body for me, considering the type of photography I do (not professional), but I would still consider a FF, should such be issued from Pentax. I would buy 3 for fun, if I had an excess cash though, but I haven't at the moment. But if I had no Pentax digital SLR yet at all, I would rather buy 3 over 5IIs.
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, it's here and I've set all the NR and highlight and other corrections to zero. Pure RAW as possible.

Why does this thing not start when the grip is attached?
02-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Okay, it's here and I've set all the NR and highlight and other corrections to zero. Pure RAW as possible.

Why does this thing not start when the grip is attached?
You may have to select which battery the camera uses, I thought it was automatic but I know on my k5 I can select body or grip for the power...

JJ
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

Grip should work when plugged in. Adjustments can be auto or selection of battery in grip or body first!