Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Eye-Fi 16GB Deal - Worth it?

Hi,

Came across this.

Worth it?

Amazon.com: Eye-Fi 16GB Pro X2 SDHC Class 10 Wireless Flash Memory Card Frustration Free Packaging EYE-FI-16PC-FF: Computers & Accessories

Cheers!

---------- Post added 02-13-14 at 09:15 AM ----------

There are many negative reviews for the product though. Reading them just makes me wonder.

02-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pro Eye-Fi cards are the best they offer, with all the bells and whistles turned on.
As to price, it looks ok, but I haven't shopped around.

AB
02-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi,

Came across this.

Worth it?

Amazon.com: Eye-Fi 16GB Pro X2 SDHC Class 10 Wireless Flash Memory Card Frustration Free Packaging EYE-FI-16PC-FF: Computers & Accessories

Cheers!

---------- Post added 02-13-14 at 09:15 AM ----------

There are many negative reviews for the product though. Reading them just makes me wonder.
I have two of them, one for my K30 and one for my Q.

They both work flawlessly.

I've had the one in my K30 the longest. It started falling apart, so I wrapped it in tape. It's still going strong months later.

The one in my Q has a couple of chips in it. I have to admit I'm not the best at keeping my gear in pristine condition . . .

Anyways, I payed over $90 each for my cards (including shipping and taxes). If one of these died/got lost/stolen, I'd buy another one without even thinking about it.

Go for it.

Just looked it up. I paid $96 for each of my cards. Also, they are the 16gb versions exactly as shown in your link.
02-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H photo has them for the same price too

02-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They work. Or at least the second one I have is working, touch wood. First ended up corrupted file table and was replaced under warranty.

Using in a K-3 in the second card slot. I record RAW in slot 1 and smallest size JPEG in slot 2. I send the JPEG's out to my Android phone for review and sharing.
02-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Using in a K-3 in the second card slot. I record RAW in slot 1 and smallest size JPEG in slot 2. I send the JPEG's out to my Android phone for review and sharing.
This is pretty much what the Pentax-branded FLU card is supposed to do in any camera, but at $40 more. With the K-3, though, you get wireless camera control...

Also, the Eye-Fi cards are not perfect, but they are better than most. Apparently the Toshiba FlashAir (which the Trek and Pentax cards are based on) has much lower range and disconnects randomly.
02-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

They work. Or at least the second one I have is working, touch wood. First ended up corrupted file table and was replaced under warranty.

Nice solution... And that works fairly well? Never thought of doing the JPG to second card option. The FLUCard simply hosts the files as a webserver... how do you connect and transfer if you're out and about?
02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Order placed. Thank you gentlemen. Not one but two :P It is almost half the price.

02-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Eye-Fi cards are great! Mine is kind of falling apart right now, just like EarlVonTapia's. The tabs that separate the electrical contacts are nearly all gone. It's kind of odd that it is falling apart. I hardly ever took it out of my K-30 but the few times I did was probably enough for the plastic shell to start crumbing.
02-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

WiFi connection to phone works well. There is an Android app for the phone. Once card is paired with the phone, the phone auto joins the Wi-Fi network created by the card, no other Wi-Fi network is needed. On the K.-3 you can specify via the camera menus if all photos are auto transferred or you can just tag selected photos and start a transfer manually. Works with raw and jpeg but I found I was running out of phone memory with the raw files. The Eye-fi Android app displays raw files very nicely presumably using the embedded jpeg.

Works on tablets too.
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

WiFi connection to phone works well. There is an Android app for the phone. Works on tablets too.
-----------------------------------

Anybody know of an iPad app for this unit?
02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #12

Yes there is an official Eye-fi app in the App Store, as well as ShutterSnitch, which is a third party app. I have found ShutterSnitch works more reliably for me.