Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 12:27 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Buy a Pentax, if you want hassle free photography.

I made a concerning post recently regarding water that got into my Pentax K3 when exposed to light rain. This happened on Sunday - 5 days ago.

On Monday I contacted the camera dealer "Camera House" in Noosaville, Queensland, Australia. (The salesman was Ian Hodgkinson. He has an excellent knowledge of photographic equipment and an encyclopaedic knowledge of Mac computers). I emailed Ian and sent photos of the water ingress on the Sunday. I spoke to him on Monday and he said he'd get right onto it. I expected it would take weeks to get this problem sorted out. - Worse, (and irrationally) I entertained paranoid thoughts of warranty issues.

I needn't have worried. On Wednesday morning, there was a new camera waiting for me. The faulty one had been picked up by C.R. Kennedy (The importers of Pentax) and a new one dropped off. How good is that?

Any camera Leica, Nikon, Canon etc can develop a fault. A professional needs to know that their down time is at a minimum. An amateur isn't going to lose income but there is a frustration factor with a camera being away repaired. - But 48 hours. That's got to be some sort of record.

So there you have it. I had a problem. Camera House and C.R. Kennedy sorted it out immediately. One can ask for no more. I doubt if there would have been as excellent a response from any other manufacturer's dealer.

Before you buy your grey import or try and save a few dollars by buying on eBay, think about this. Sometimes the more expensive option is, by far, the less expensive option.

Can a professional now buy Pentax and earn a living from this equipment? If my experiences are anything to go by, the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Can a professional save money, without compromising quality, by purchasing Pentax? - Again, the answer is unequivocally yes.
Kudos to C.R. Kennedy.

Kudos to Camera House. To purchase anywhere else would appear to be illogical.

Ian Rivlin

PS. I have no professional association whatsoever with Camera House. I am a family physician and am purely an amateur. I have always believed credit where it is due.

02-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It probably would have been quicker if they didn't have to bring it up from Brisbane!

It's nice to hear of such great service from the importer - especially at the local camera shop.
02-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do believe us Aussies are lucky to have a distributor like CRK. I am the first to rubbish the local distributor model as I find in most cases it just adds extra cost for little benefit in these globally linked days we are now in. But CRK seem to be the exception with great prices and a real enthusiasm for their product.
02-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hmmm... That's a record for Pentax allright. Can't help but think their new boss has something to do with it. Sure is a very good thing! Maybe I should call my Pentax repair center over here again and ask for the status of the repair of my first K-5. It's been there since late 2011. Should be fun. I gave up calling and mailing after ~6 months. It died in a slight drizzle while shooting with the DA 18-135.

02-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe I should call my Pentax repair center over here again and ask for the status of the repair of my first K-5. It's been there since late 2011. Should be fun. I gave up calling and mailing after ~6 months. It died in a slight drizzle while shooting with the DA 18-135.
Are you in Australia or The Netherlands?
02-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
In Australia - are you in Holland?
02-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Netherlands. Sure wish I was in Australia though! Best holiday I've ever been on.
02-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Kudos to CR Kennedy. I support that recommendation.

02-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Props! Always nice to get stuff taken care of quickly.
02-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've had nothing but excellent personal service from CRK - I'd recommend them to anyone looking to buy Pentax gear.
02-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's been there since late 2011. Should be fun. I gave up calling and mailing after ~6 months. It died in a slight drizzle while shooting with the DA 18-135.
Wait – this is what I call disappeared gear, not unusually complicated repairs. You should get a refund, that is, a new camera. A lens of mine disappeared while being serviced in Germany, and I got a new one after three months.