Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do I turn off the Monitor on K-3

I’m a diehard Pentax owner and I just bought the K-3 and am enjoing it, but I have gone over the manual several times and can’t find theinformation on turning off the Monitor on the back of the camera. It does turnof just as I press the shutter button but I find the Monitor a bit distractingwhile I’m trying to compose the shot. Does anyone have an idea where in themanual to find the procedure to turn off the Monitor?

02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

You can push two times the info button and then chose how you want the monitor.
02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coboren3 Quote
Iím a diehard Pentax owner and I just bought the K-3 and am enjoing it, but I have gone over the manual several times and canít find theinformation on turning off the Monitor on the back of the camera. It does turnof just as I press the shutter button but I find the Monitor a bit distractingwhile Iím trying to compose the shot. Does anyone have an idea where in themanual to find the procedure to turn off the Monitor?
You want to find the option for "status screen" and set it to not display (don't have a K-3 so can't tell you exactly) -- then it won't be on when you are trying to compose. (At least on K-5 that's how it is.) You can also set it so it doesn't even show previews or anything is just black almost always...
02-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I found the status screen an turned the Monitor off.

02-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Haven't Pentax heard about proximity sensors? Makes sense to have the LCD screen switch off when you bring the camera to your eye. I've always been irked by this with the K-7, yes I know pressing info twice, but point is we shouldn't have to when a sensor would be the sensible thing to add which then adds another degree of pleasure..
02-14-2014, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
jup
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Haven't Pentax heard about proximity sensors? Makes sense to have the LCD screen switch off when you bring the camera to your eye. I've always been irked by this with the K-7, yes I know pressing info twice, but point is we shouldn't have to when a sensor would be the sensible thing to add which then adds another degree of pleasure..
Never been bothered by this, especially since I use back button to focus. Just half press shutter before bringing the camera to my eye and screen goes off.

Sure, proximity sensor would be cool if properly implemented. But I've seen so many butchered proximity sensor implementations in smart phones, when the screen goes off when it's not supposed to, that I almost prefer manual solution above.
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
Never been bothered by this, especially since I use back button to focus. Just half press shutter before bringing the camera to my eye and screen goes off.

Sure, proximity sensor would be cool if properly implemented. But I've seen so many butchered proximity sensor implementations in smart phones, when the screen goes off when it's not supposed to, that I almost prefer manual solution above.
Agreed. Used a Fuji X100 for a while and found it irritating as often as I found it helpful.
02-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
I use BBF on the K-7, screen only goes off when you focus, comes right back one when you release the button. Has this changed since the K-7?

02-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
jup
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I use BBF on the K-7, screen only goes off when you focus, comes right back one when you release the button. Has this changed since the K-7?
Yes, it goes right back on when you release AF button. But it also stays off as long as you half press shutter, even with BBF only (AF2). I got into habit of half-pressing shutter during composition regardless, it primes SR, turns off screen, starts exposure metering if it was off... And with AF decoupled, I can press it any time I want without camera starting to hunt for focus.
02-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Fair enough. I'd still rather a proximity sensor, just makes more sense to me.
02-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Proxsensors are a good idea however, with all of the electronics packed in to a small compartment like the electronic level, I doubt that there would be room for the sensors and the electronics to support it. You'd have to discriminate between hands holding the camera and your nose/cheek touching the back of the camera. A simple button to turn the monitor on or off on demand would be a better choice.
02-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by coboren3 Quote
I’m a diehard Pentax owner and I just bought the K-3 and am enjoing it, but I have gone over the manual several times and can’t find theinformation on turning off the Monitor on the back of the camera. It does turnof just as I press the shutter button but I find the Monitor a bit distractingwhile I’m trying to compose the shot. Does anyone have an idea where in themanual to find the procedure to turn off the Monitor?
It took me a day or two to find out how to shut it off.
02-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I keep the rear LCD disabled (guide display off, instant image review off) unless I want to review an image or change a setting (or am using LiveView). Nothing worse than a big bright rear LCD flashing at you all the time, especially if you shoot in low-light places.

And proximity sensors can indeed be a nuisance - the proximity sensor in the external EVF I use sometimes on my Sony NEX-F3 keeps getting confused by my glasses, or something, and will often toggle the display of either the EVF or the rear LCD on or off unexpectedly. Often just as I may be framing an important shot in the EVF, the proximity sensor will decide to switch off the EVF and turn on the rear LCD instead. Manual control to the rescue.