Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Turn SR off, set the Raw/Fx switch to toggle it. It works for single shots slow shutter, but for what you are doing it is causing blur. Yes is should be better.

02-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

That is one good reason for the Sigma OS lenses that have the '2' setting for panning, I think just the 70-200 and 50-500 os?

David
02-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Typical first response on this forum; whenever there is a problem with a camera it is by default the user's fault or a "design feature".

It is simple - when you pan the camera to focus on a different object (does tend to happen in practice) SR should not make your shot worse (by introducing camera shake) than it would be without SR enabled. That is a design shortcoming. In Canon and Nikon lenses there is mode to specify panning on IS lenses so stabilization is effectively maintained. On Pentax there is no such mode and apparently no effective detection of panning, which seems to introduce extra blur. The solution seems to be to turn of SR, but that is a pretty poor solution.

---------- Post added 02-15-2014 at 07:47 PM ----------

Turning off is crude solution - what if lightning conditions of the target change and now I'm shooting at 1/150s where SR may be useful? There should be a panning mode or SR should turn itself off if it cannot keep up.
If its a design fault the same design fault exists in all SR solutions.
SR makes the shot worse unless you switch it off , irrelvant if you suing OS or IBIS canon nikon sony olympus or pentax
What hapens is SR will try and correst your pan until it reaches the end of its travel it will then reset to the central positoin and repeat during the preiod of the pan, If you open the shutter during SR reset you get blurr (almost irrelevant of shutter speed), if you open the shuter whilst sr is engaged you get a stabalised shot 60/40 is about right.

The way manafactturers deal with this varies from manually or automatically disabling horizontal SR to manual/automatiocally fully diabling sr

You may have a point the SR should auto disable to allow for the stupid/forgetfull as I often leave it on.
Better yet would be a panning mode but think having a floating sensor probably doesn't allow partial disabling just as OS does not all circular motion correction.

So I guess the and result is you have your chioce with Pentax/Sigma IBIS/OS and have it all panning and rotational correction or go for an OS only manafacurer and give up rotational correction.

Though I'm not sure why you think it a crude solution to give you more controll, Its not a P&S auto everything camera you know.!
Almost smack of workman and his tools.!

---------- Post added 15-02-14 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Turn SR off, set the Raw/Fx switch to toggle it. It works for single shots slow shutter, but for what you are doing it is causing blur. Yes is should be better.
exactually what I have mine set for .