Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Interval Shooting needs more options?

I can't seem to get a shutter speed lower than 1/30 and I would like to even have it have an interval of 1 sec.
Do you think this will be implemented in a future firmware update?
I just updated to 1.02.

02-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the mode dial to Tv or TAv so you can control the shutter speed.
It allows to select any shutter speed you want, I just tested it with a 1 second shutter and delay of 2 seconds.
It does appear that 2 seconds is lowest interval available on the K-3.
(On my K-5 it does allow a setting of 1 second interval.)
02-19-2014, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a good time to share this time lapse I did

Things I learned:

1. One image every 30 seconds is unnecessarily often for flowers. (the video is sped up) maybe 1 every 2 minutes would have worked here even 1 every 5min for a longer period.

2. Even though most of the light was from the fluorescent lights in the room there was a lot of variation from the light coming from a small window.

3. A fully charged battery with the 3 second review set can run the set up for about 5 hours. (Next time I will turn the rear display completely off)

4. If you donít want the flowers to open up before you even begin donít bring them into a warm house.

5. While the top LCD provides some basic shooting parameters and battery level a count down timer or frame counter would be a great addition if possible.

I look forward to trying this again its a very different process than taking a single still image but it is made very easy by the Pentax K-3. And if youíre wondering I put the music together using Sony Acid Express.
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

Now sounds like a good time to ask a question I've had since I started using the K-3: Has anybody had experience with timelapses recorded at stopped-down apertures, and having a few frames every now and then that have darker exposures presumably because the mechanical aperture coupling doesn't stop the lens all the way down?

This happens all the time on all my various Nikon lenses and bodies, but if Pentax users who shoot a lot of timelapses can report that this never happens, that'd be huge for me! :-D

Thanks,
=Matt=

02-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I haven't done anything extensive with the K-3 yet, but I did a few with my K-5 previously and did not have those issues.
02-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I had a few dark frames while shooting at -30C last month. But I couldn't blame the camera. I wasn't working properly at those temperatures either.

BTW, might as well repeat my big beef with interval shooting in the K-3: no provision for MLU before beginning the sequence. This should be easy to add in a firmware update.

Jack
02-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
no provision for MLU before beginning the sequence.
Would this kill your battery prematurely if it was to hold the mirror up for the entire time?
02-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I suppose it may if you are working off the stock batteries. But I usually use external power for interval shooting so running down a battery quickly isn't a concern. As long as they made MLU an option, I would be happy. Even better would be a good old manual mirror lockup but in these digital days, that is probably gone forever. Wonder if they kept it around for the latest Nikon retro Df model?

Jack

02-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Now sounds like a good time to ask a question I've had since I started using the K-3: Has anybody had experience with timelapses recorded at stopped-down apertures, and having a few frames every now and then that have darker exposures presumably because the mechanical aperture coupling doesn't stop the lens all the way down?

This happens all the time on all my various Nikon lenses and bodies, but if Pentax users who shoot a lot of timelapses can report that this never happens, that'd be huge for me! :-D

Thanks,
=Matt=
I've had it happen but only with some very old manual lenses (1980's) and I'm pretty sure it is a problem with the lens rather than the camera. Actually what I got was the occasional ligther frame rather than darker ones.

Never had anything similar happen with newer lenses having electrical contact. I have to clarify though that I haven;t sot all that much timelapse.
02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

I had a few dark frames while shooting at -30C last month. But I couldn't blame the camera. I wasn't working properly at those temperatures either.

BTW, might as well repeat my big beef with interval shooting in the K-3: no provision for MLU before beginning the sequence. This should be easy to add in a firmware update.

Jack
It seems to me that the simple 2-sec timer delay does MLU automatically. Can you use an external timelapse accessory with 2-sec timer delay? This is what I wind up doing anyways, since apparently according to some tests, using the built-in intervalometer harms battery life a little more than using an external device.

=Matt=

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 01:45 PM ----------

I suppose it may if you are working off the stock batteries. But I usually use external power for interval shooting so running down a battery quickly isn't a concern. As long as they made MLU an option, I would be happy. Even better would be a good old manual mirror lockup but in these digital days, that is probably gone forever. Wonder if they kept it around for the latest Nikon retro Df model?

Jack
You mean, as in, the mirror stays up from shot to shot? No, the DF's mirror lockup feature is the same old "click once, click again", miror goes back down at the end of the exposure" style.

Having said that, they DID bring back one awesome thing that Nikon has lacked since the days of film, and that i the "click open, click closed" bulb mode option instead of this silly nonsense about standing around the whole time with your finger on the trigger to do bulb exposures. Actually all of the latest Nikons have this, and I believe the K-3 has it too. A very welcomed feature that I have been ranting about for years lol.

=Matt=
02-21-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Yes, I suppose the 2-sec timer+MLU is an option and I have an external timer that I used for my K-20 years ago that may work. I prefer a bit longer delay before shutter firing after the mirror goes up but it is worth a try. Thanks for the input.

Jack
02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote

.... Actually all of the latest Nikons have this, and I believe the K-3 has it too. A very welcomed feature that I have been ranting about for years lol.

=Matt=
The K-3 does indeed have that feature and so does the K-30. The K-r also has it but as far as I can tell it only applies to the remote control.
02-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I did do timelapse with the K-01 where you can choose also 1 second interval. I think that having it more flexible would make sence. It isn't so hard to make that possible I guess.