Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless Flash Control Mode

When I had my K-5 I set the C-menu to use the flash as control or master. I then could set flash compensation in the flash menu. On the K-3 there is no compensation in the Master/Control mode. Using exposure comp seems to do the job but also I have found that if I have flash comp dialed in on normal flash mode it also contributes when switching to control mode. ie, I have to go back and forth between the two modes.

I feel that my workflow is flawed but my brain is stuck so please give me some input

/T

02-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Under the Flash button on the 4 way controller, there is a Wireless submenu that allows Master or Controller to be selected, but not in M mode.

Dale
02-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Under the Master selection there is flash comp that also changes the flash output on the remote flash...
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you may be mistaken. The off camera flash is triggered by the pulse of light from the on camera flash. I don't think it could convey output information to the slave. The compensation adjust is for the on camera flash in master mode. It's irrelevant in controller mode.

02-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No not mistaken , it tells the wireless flash how much compensation I want. Tested and verified.
02-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How tested? And how verified? Every where I've looked on the matter ( manual, ebook, YouTube) suggest that compensation on the off camera flash must be controlled from the flash. Not trying to be argumentative; just good natured inquiry. I'm content to be proven wrong:-)
02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
How tested? And how verified? Every where I've looked on the matter ( manual, ebook, YouTube) suggest that compensation on the off camera flash must be controlled from the flash. Not trying to be argumentative; just good natured inquiry. I'm content to be proven wrong:-)
Camera on tripod i manual. Take a photo with zero adjustment. Take one more photo with -2 in comp. Photo nr 1 brighter and harder shadows than photo nr 2. Flash on stand in remote mode, wireless. How the communication works I do not know but they do communicate. Its a Metz 50

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 10:47 PM ----------

Metz says this on there homepage:
QuoteQuote:
"This allows the corresponding slave flash units to be activated wirelessly, as well as controlled using the camera-specific TTL flash mode. Slave flash units such as the mecablitz 44 AF-1 digital, 50 AF-1 digital or the 58 AF-2 digital can all be used in this way. The number of slave flash units you can use is unlimited."
02-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. The Metz manual doesn't mention compensation control. I'll repeat your test on Sunday when I'm done with this stretch of work. In the meantime check: Pentax wireless flash tutorial on YouTube, Gary Fong. Sorry I don't know how to make a link with the iPhone. I said I was content to be proven wrong, not easily persuaded:-D

02-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, Compensation control is part of the P-TTL concept.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 12:48 AM ----------

What is bugging me is that a -2 i flash comp gives the same picture as -2 in exposure comp. I don´t get how this is supposed to work. It works but how?
02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When I had my K-5 I set the C-menu to use the flash as control or master. I then could set flash compensation in the flash menu. On the K-3 there is no compensation in the Master/Control mode. Using exposure comp seems to do the job but also I have found that if I have flash comp dialed in on normal flash mode it also contributes when switching to control mode. ie, I have to go back and forth between the two modes.

I feel that my workflow is flawed but my brain is stuck so please give me some input

/T
Thinking back to when I was using a K-7, I remember being able to control the compensation on my 540 in wireless mode from the camera IF the on board flash was set to only be the controller. If the on board flash was set to be the master, then the 540 would have to be adjusted on the flash itself with the compensation on the camera controlling only the intensity of the on board flash.

I haven't fiddled with my K-3 to see if that has changed over the model cycles.
02-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

hmm, this is interesting, I will have to test
02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a quick and dirty test sunday night and your right there is a change in output when I dialed -2 in the K5 wireless control mode. However The change was not as much as when I dialed -2 directly on the slave flash and left the camera at zero. This led me to taking two shots with the control flash on but the slave turned off, one at, zero one at -2. I did notice a slight decrease in the output of the control. So now my question is could the change be just in the output of the control flash or does it also change the slave?

Either way, I suspect that this may be an unintended consequence of how the wireless system was implemented in the K5 because: 1) its not really mentioned in the manuals or tutorials I've seen, and 2) control of the output of the slave from the camera is not available in the K3.