Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
added a Rode Videomic Pro... results are....

The Fuzz Kings | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm impressed with this little microphone with the K3. Live bands are usually difficult to capture audio wise as the noise levels are ear bleeding high and the in camera mic never does a good job. I used an Apex camera shotgun mic before and it was okay, not great. But with the Rode mic and the controls of the camera, plus the shake reduction feature I was very very happy.

I also recorded another video with my D800 and the Rode, and while the audio quality was better (preamp difference?) the lack of shake reduction made the image near impossible to view without throwing up. I don't got a video rig, so I just hand hold, but I think it may become something to invest in if I decide to do more of this. There must have also been a change in the audio levels of the band because vocals fell completely out of the mix.

So the video in the link is recorded with the K3, FA 31mm f1.8 Limited, Rode VideoMic Pro, iso 3200, f2.0, 1/60, full HD 60i. I have no video editing software, so the B&W conversion was done in Lightroom 5, exported to H.264 medium.

thanks for watching

02-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Neat. Video is very challenging. So many more factors to consider, all in real time.

I suppose the light was too low to close the aperture to get depth of field enough to keep focus. A video rig seems to hold the body at an appropriate distance from your eyes and frees up a hand to focus.

The black and white captures the ambiance very well.

I think I'll stick with tripod and reasonably static subjects
02-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine video. The black and white gives a nice '50s feel to it.