Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
For my shooting, the II was enough of a boost over the Classic to justify despite most reviews saying to skip it. Faster AF in lower light, with an f/2.8-sensitive center point? Sign me up please - but I'm not like everyone else. Many K-3 features would be worthwhile to me (e.g. focus peaking), but many are not and the extra funds can do more elsewhere - but what doesn't suit me (more AF points for tracking, faster burst) might be ideal for you. My K-01 can do the focus peaking and more versatile video shots so having the K-01 also made the full jump to the K-3 less vital for me. And having the Q as my hyper-tele option might have had an impact too.

Hope our comments help a bit, but it's very much your call - at least you cannot lose with these two choices!
I tend to agree, everything I've read says to skip the II/s but for me the k3 only offers the AF and dual card slots. So in my mind I'd jump on it when the price drops...which makes the decision even harder to do anything at all at the moment lol....

JJ

02-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Really only you can answer that after reflecting on the strengths and weaknesses of each model, your photograph needs/requirements and most importantly your financial position.

Personally, I have a K5II and have resisted the K3 pull, mostly because my photograph requirements are currently met by the K5II (as opposed to my desires!) and I am channeling my unbridalled consumer impulses into servicing my recently acquired LBA.....so have recently bought a FA 77 and am rounding out soon on a FA 31! ....oh yeah....and camera bags! (does this mean I now have a CBBA?)
That just means either you have a lot of money to splurge, or a very considerate better half or BOTH
02-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know what it's like on the K-5 II(s), but between the K-5 and the K-3 when looking at what was just shot, on the K-3 it's there practically immediately, while on the K-5 I have to wait a few seconds for it to show up.

Last edited by sadatoni; 02-24-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fix typo
02-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure why people keep asking if the K-3 is worth twice the amount as the K-5IIs. The K-3 can be had for slightly more than $1000 and IIs is going for about $700 (although I guess the pricing is different outside the US). For the extra $300 I'd rather go for the K-3.

I'll most likely be picking up the K-3 sometime in April as I am starting to get more jobs that would benefit from the better AF than what the K-01 has been giving me. Now if the IIs drops below $600 before that time I may have to reevaluate.

02-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Not sure why people keep asking if the K-3 is worth twice the amount as the K-5IIs. The K-3 can be had for slightly more than $1000 and IIs is going for about $700 (although I guess the pricing is different outside the US). For the extra $300 I'd rather go for the K-3.

I'll most likely be picking up the K-3 sometime in April as I am starting to get more jobs that would benefit from the better AF than what the K-01 has been giving me. Now if the IIs drops below $600 before that time I may have to reevaluate.

Lol sounds familiar to me price watching...

JJ
02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've thought about it, and if your coming from an older dslr prior to a K5 I personally would get the K5IIs use the savings to buy good "glass" and grow into the camera. And then re-evaluate when you have reached the max potential of it. That will probably be a couple models past the K3 IMHO....

JJ
02-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

As someone with both, get the K5IIs.