Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
With K-5IIs selling so cheap, should I buy a K-3?

I had been drooling over the latest Pentax DSLR, the K-3. However, with the retail price of a K-5 IIs at half its price, is the K-3 worth twice the price of a K-5 IIs?

02-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you need the quicker continuous shot speed, improved AFc, focus peaking, or any of the other improvements?
If none of those items are a factor in your photography then the answer is no.
02-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Really only you can answer that after reflecting on the strengths and weaknesses of each model, your photograph needs/requirements and most importantly your financial position.

Personally, I have a K5II and have resisted the K3 pull, mostly because my photograph requirements are currently met by the K5II (as opposed to my desires!) and I am channeling my unbridalled consumer impulses into servicing my recently acquired LBA.....so have recently bought a FA 77 and am rounding out soon on a FA 31! ....oh yeah....and camera bags! (does this mean I now have a CBBA?)
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonaprof Quote
However, with the retail price of a K-5 IIs at half its price,
K-3 price will go down once the next flagship is launched (Infact you can see it going down during/after April). If you can hold on to your urge to spend.

K-5 IIs is worth the current price. Ofcourse an absolute steal @ ~ 700 USDs. (Its rival Neecaun D7100 is selling at ~ 1150 USDs). Its like share market Will it go down even further :P ? But would you risk not buying?

I agree with noelpolar there is no end to wants, its needs that you really have to think about. Lens > Camera.

However if you need speed K-3 and pay more. If you don't K-5 IIs - Sure

Cheers!

02-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is a new FA31Ltd worth 4X a used F 28mm f2.8?, Is the FA 43Ltd worth 3X a used 40mm XS?
02-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both.
I'm keeping my K5IIs for a low light Camera and my K3 as my prime camera.

There is no question the K3 is great and if you have the money go for it. But if you are an available light shooter you can't beet the K5IIs.
02-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I've been kicking around the same, however the fly in my ointment is I already have a K5 so the question for me is snag a KIIs or hope the K5 tides me over until next year when the K3 price drops. So my advice to you is what are you shooting now? Both the models are amazing and neither are wrong choices, just a matter of what do you need them to do that you can't do now. There will always be a bigger and better model so I would find what flips your switch then invest in "glass"

JJ

02-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

As stated earlier, it depends on your needs. I have the K-3 and upgraded from the original K-5. The K-3 to me is worth the extra investment for many reasons but the most important to me are improved AF (big improvement), processing speed, improved AWB and the list goes on. I have a large investment in good glass and the K-3 shines with them. The on demand anti-aliasing filter is another useful feature. If you can afford it, I would go for the best. I would say the same for lenses as well. I have had an FA31 for a year and a half and my only regret was that I waited as long as I did to acquire one.
02-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both but if you don't need 24 MP then the K5IIs is a great camera; slightly better high ISO performance and amazing micro-contrast at the pixel level.

Dale
02-23-2014, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Think that depends also on what camera you have now. If it's an *istD or a K5, for example. I think the improved metering on the K3 is interesting and worth the upgrade. If you have a K-5, or even a K7, I don't think there's a huge pressure to get a K5iis, even at the bargain price. For normal everyday use with a K5iis, over the K7, it's better sensor and better autofocus, helping you out 10% of the time. Over a K5, it's really just the autofocus giving you that extra 1%. Assuming all your photos aren't of black kittens in coal shafts, that is. I think the other features of the K3, such as improved metering, white balance and dual card slots make the K3 a better long term purchase.
02-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Think that depends also on what camera you have now. If it's an *istD or a K5, for example. I think the improved metering on the K3 is interesting and worth the upgrade. If you have a K-5, or even a K7, I don't think there's a huge pressure to get a K5iis, even at the bargain price. For normal everyday use with a K5iis, over the K7, it's better sensor and better autofocus, helping you out 10% of the time. Over a K5, it's really just the autofocus giving you that extra 1%. Assuming all your photos aren't of black kittens in coal shafts, that is. I think the other features of the K3, such as improved metering, white balance and dual card slots make the K3 a better long term purchase.
I've read a lot over the past few weeks and this puts it in the best perspective yet...

JJ
02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

I went to the US last Thanksgiving with the intention of buying a K3 in mind for the black Friday sale. But the K5ii presented itself for $600 and I had a Kx body only. I wasn't much of a high speed shooter and I really don't need most of the K3 features. I also looked at the K5iis but there was a price difference of $200 back then. So I ended up with a K5ii and a HD 21 limited lens. You just have to be honest to yourself and assess what your need versus what you desire. Also, price of the body goes down after a year and a few kinks get fixed by firmware updates. I may or may not be able to afford the upcoming Pentax fullframe but the K5ii will serve its purpose for now.
02-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember shooting the K20 when the K5 came out with its great Dynamic Range, ISO 80 and low noise - it was calling. Its initial price was $1700. To me the K5 with the sensor was the watershed product for Pentax. After about 18 months, its price dipped down to $750 for a day and I called to order one. That was a bit over 2 years ago. With the K20's sensor just getting nosier by the shot, it was the right move.

In reading about the K3, it appears to be a wonderful camera. For whatever reason, the K5IIs appeals to me more. However, my current K5 is going strong, and I really have no urge or real need to upgrade.

Having said all of that - it is your question, and only you can truly answer it, based on your perceived needs, wants and desires. I would ask myself a couple of questions...
  • What would a K3/K5IIs allow you to do that you can't do now?
  • What would a K3/K5IIs make it easier for you to do that its pretty difficult to do now?

02-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #14

From everything I've read about the K-5 / K-5IIs, it sounds like the reasons to upgrade are limited to a few types of people who really push the envelope in certain areas. And even then, the K-5IIs has one of the best sensors available for the 1.5x crop format. Sounds to me like yes, now is the time when a K-5IIs is the best investment. That doesn't mean that some who have the extra cash will get the K-3, or that a select few will truly require what it offers. But I've always been a fan of buying the slightly older generation cameras anyways. I bought my Nikon D700 when the D800 came out, for example, despite it being a 12 MP camera versus a 36 MP camera.

=Matt=
02-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was going to wait until 2014 BF sale but caved when B&H was selling it with grip and 50mm. For the most part I was fed up with the large, center focusing point on K-5. I think the extra amount of time I'm going to enjoy K-3 until it drops to the price of current K-5II/s is well worth the extra I had to pay. I can't imagine needing to upgrade for a while. But in the end, it just depends on your needs.