Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Is it worth it?

I guess what I am asking, is the K-3 worth twice the price of the K-5IIs?

02-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by bonaprof Quote
Is it twice as good? Probably not. Or, here's my own favorite question I like to ask myself about new cameras: Do you have enough photographic endeavors in the next 12-18 months to make it worth it for you to not wait until the K-3 costs about as much as the K-5IIs does now? ;-)

=Matt=
02-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yes. I mean, no. Cripes, I can't decide.

I've gone back and forth between two decisions - older cameras upgraded more frequently, or newer cameras upgraded less frequently. Eventually I decided on the latter.
02-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

As usual, it depends. The k5iis is a remarkable camera. I would say it depends on the lenses you shoot with. It depends whether you regularly crop your shots. Do you run into moire, wedding or fabrics? How important is responsiveness? Tethering? I don't think the bounce flash exposure was sorted out on the k5iis, correct me if I'm wrong. I was constantly fiddling with white balance on my k5. The viewfinder is better on the k3, nice and bright, the k5 was best with an after market focus screen. Metering on the k3 is quite good.

02-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If you will be getting K5ii and then later K3, just go with K3. End up spending the same amount of money anyway.
02-24-2014, 03:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The way i see it, if u don't need focus peaking and a much better live view, and don't need 24mp, the k5ii is plenty good.

02-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are a few things the K3 brings to the table. Better auto focus tracking, smaller auto focus points (and more of them), focus peaking and better live view, overall faster function, more megapixels (allows more cropping or larger printing size). These are the things I notice. The K5 IIs is a good camera too. As to the value you put on one feature or another, only you can say. One thing I think is very over rated is the removal of the AA filter. It just doesn't make a difference in real world shooting. I sharpen my photos from my K5 II more than I sharpen those from the K3, but I still sharpen them both. I suppose with the K3 you do have the option to have a customizable AA filter, although I just leave mine off...

(required K3 and DA 15 limited shot).

02-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
I have both.
I'm keeping my K5IIs for a low light Camera and my K3 as my prime camera.

There is no question the K3 is great and if you have the money go for it. But if you are an available light shooter you can't beet the K5IIs.
Yes, I love my K-3 most of the time and have no regrets about buying it, but I wish I could have kept the KIIs for low light situations.
02-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes, I love my K-3 most of the time and have no regrets about buying it, but I wish I could have kept the KIIs for low light situations.
The k3 is just as good in low light.
02-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 has dual SD slots, a better diopter adjustment mechanism, larger rear LCD, better video capabilities, nice grip IMHO, white balance ability, AF-C is better, focus peaking, the list goes on and on. You are talking about $600, not $6000. Yes, it's worth the extra $600 no question in my mind whatsoever.
02-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Do you need the quicker continuous shot speed, improved AFc, focus peaking, or any of the other improvements?
If none of those items are a factor in your photography then the answer is no.
I respect Luis's views on here more than anyone's and he is my go to person for anything birding. I have to say though I am struggling to see any improvement in AFC over my K30 which is a big disappointment. Anyone else agree?
Dave
02-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #27
Pentaxian

For my shooting, the II was enough of a boost over the Classic to justify despite most reviews saying to skip it. Faster AF in lower light, with an f/2.8-sensitive center point? Sign me up please - but I'm not like everyone else. Many K-3 features would be worthwhile to me (e.g. focus peaking), but many are not and the extra funds can do more elsewhere - but what doesn't suit me (more AF points for tracking, faster burst) might be ideal for you. My K-01 can do the focus peaking and more versatile video shots so having the K-01 also made the full jump to the K-3 less vital for me. And having the Q as my hyper-tele option might have had an impact too.

Hope our comments help a bit, but it's very much your call - at least you cannot lose with these two choices!
02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just the fact that you can now set the bracketed anti-aliasing mode is a great reason for getting the K-3
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in a rather unique position given advanced visual deterioration to the point that I'd converted nearly exclusively to K-01 and Q for the LiveView (an an LX when I have a yen for traditional VF shooting). I got the K3 (for LV plus FluCard) and I am astonished to see that not only can I use the K3 viewfinder - it is THAT MUCH better - I can use it Right-Eye, which has been impossible since 2006!

The viewfinder/diopter combo is meat - all the other stuff is gravy.
02-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

No sir it definitely is not.