Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Perfect timing!since I was going to purchase the flu card next month! Battery life effect? LVF lag? How far you can be away from the camera before losing connection be nice but thats more of a personal thing for some of the sports stuff I do. Cant wait!

02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #17

I have one

Mine arrived today. There is no manual available ( even on the Ricoh website ) and with the brief testing I have done it may well be being sent back as unfit for purpose. My view at the moment is it is a rubbish product. I will give it some more time but it is not at all what I expected or hoped for. very dissapointed.
02-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep

No LAN capability
No auto image upload
No controls in PC browsers
No Manual
No Deletion

This is a Peer to Peer wireless solution only and has no functionality at all as a wireless LAN SD card.

Also despite the box saying 'Flucard for Pentax 16gb' it isn't as no 'Flu' apps recognize the card .
My concerns are with it being miss-sold as something it isn't there will be lots of returns, with the possible complete failure of the product who is responsible for firmware updates etc.

It's a shame as with correct marketing and ample support it coudl have been a success but who in there right mind will pay £100 for the functionality of a bit of wire ?
02-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
Okay, so I just played with it for a minute. I have some other work to get to so I could only use it for 10 minutes or so after I updated the K-3's firmware to 1.02.

First impression: LV is blown out with no way to change exposure that I can find. Doesn't seem to work with the Mac "Flu Shoot and View" app. Had to use it through Chrome. More as it develops...

For those of you interested in the Ricoh Theta, I can say that it's the coolest camera I've played with in a while. It's so impressive. The only drawback is that it's a definite first-gen product and the mobile apps aren't great and embedding is limited on the web. We'll have more on that in a few weeks probably.

-b

02-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Yep

No LAN capability
No auto image upload
No Manual
No Deletion

This is a Peer to Peer wireless solution only and has no functionality at all as a wireless LAN SD card.

Also despite the box saying 'Flucard for Pentax 16gb' it isn't as no 'Flu' apps recognize the card .
My concerns are with it being miss-sold as something it isn't there will be lots of returns, with the possible complete failure of the product who is responsible for firmware updates etc.

It's a shame as with correct marketing and ample support it coudl have been a success but who in there right mind will pay £100 for the functionality of a bit of wire ?
I certainly can't say whether it functions as a Wrireless LAN card - but does it make the claim to function in that way? Other recent threads seem to contrafict some of your notations, so I am confused. How does your experience compare to the similar Nikon offering?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-25-2014 at 08:29 AM.
02-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Change the aspect ratio of your browser window. If it's wider than tall, you will only see the AF and shutter release. If taller than wide, you will see "the rest" of the controls.

QuoteOriginally posted by bnys Quote
First impression: LV is blown out with no way to change exposure that I can find. Doesn't seem to work with the Mac "Flu Shoot and View" app. Had to use it through Chrome. More as it develops...
See above. Also, the LV "gain" changes as you change the exposure settings, so if it's blown out, you're probably in M mode with overexposed settings. Try pressing the "green button" in the Remote Capture window (once you either turn your device to portrait orientation, or resize your browser window to be taller than wide).

How do I know all this? I've had one for 3 weeks... the whole "aspect ratio" thing confused the piss out of me for a while. Still seems like a pointless "feature."

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bnys Quote
For those of you interested in the Ricoh Theta, I can say that it's the coolest camera I've played with in a while. It's so impressive. The only drawback is that it's a definite first-gen product and the mobile apps aren't great and embedding is limited on the web. We'll have more on that in a few weeks probably.

-b
Cool! My user name isn't "panoguy" for nothing...

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
So, how long will it run? Will the camera go to sleep and can I wake it up remotely? Can it continuous shoot, with afc? If I'm looking at some shots during a moment of inactivity, how long before I can get back into shooting mode if there is suddenly activity?

I might sit there for an hour or more, with multiple episodes of shooting separated by long periods of inactivity. Can it work like this?

I set the body and lens up and the center point is on the trunk of the tree. I find after a few shots that I want to focus slightly to the right to get the bird. Can I select the point and focus afc continuous from there?
Since my review hasn't been published (jeez, Nikon D4s!), and I don't directly address many of these things, I'll chime in here.

Battery life: yes, it drains the battery a bit more, but really it's the Live View doing that. With LV off, the card seems to be a minor drain.

Camera sleep: Change your "Auto Power Off" to OFF (the FluCard will not "wake" the camera from power off, and if that happens, the wi-fi is gone!)

Continuous shoot w/ AF.C: nope - the only supported drive mode is "Single Frame" and in Live View the only AF mode is CDAF Select. **However, you'll want to turn LV off and then it uses whatever PDAF setting you have!

Browsing and shooting: if done from the same device, it can be a few seconds, or much longer if you're actively downloading a full-res file. Maybe use two devices (like a computer for downloading and a tablet or phone for camera control).

Sitting for an hour: No idea, sorry. Longest I've gone is 20 minutes, but that was with LV on and things got mighty hot (and the connection dropped sporadically). Might work as just a camera controller without LV, but the K-3 itself might need an AC power source (no clue how that would be done)

Last edited by panoguy; 02-25-2014 at 09:12 AM.
02-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can this flucard be configured to store images in a directory on a computer as they are taken? And can you use the camera normally with the viewfinder when doing this? If so, it could be possible to set lightroom to watch this directory and auto import the images.

02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Change the aspect ratio of your browser window. If it's wider than tall, you will only see the AF and shutter release. If taller than wide, you will see "the rest" of the controls.
Are you guessing I've tried all an the gui is just sparce without controls in PC type browsers.
I've tried ie,firefox chrome windows 7
firefox ,chrome linux

See image PC and Android
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Are you guessing I've tried all an the gui is just sparce without controls in PC type browsers.
I've tried ie,firefox chrome windows 7
firefox ,chrome linux

See image PC and Android
Can you show the entire browser window on the PC? Like I said, the browser window on the PC needs to be resized so it's taller than wide, or else you will see what is in your first screenshot (where I can't tell what aspect ratio the window is in). If your tablet supports landscape mode, turn it sideways and you'll see the same "sparse" thing.

I've tested the connection page in Chrome and Safari (the two "officially" supported browsers) on Win7 and the Remote Capture interface works fine when I change the aspect ratio. Of course, that's Win 7 in Bootcamp, so YMMV.

Enjoy, and I hope that tip helps some people out!
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Can you show the entire browser window on the PC? Like I said, the browser window on the PC needs to be resized so it's taller than wide, or else you will see what is in your first screenshot (where I can't tell what aspect ratio the window is in). If your tablet supports landscape mode, turn it sideways and you'll see the same "sparse" thing.

I've tested the connection page in Chrome and Safari (the two "officially" supported browsers) on Win7 and the Remote Capture interface works fine when I change the aspect ratio. Of course, that's Win 7 in Bootcamp, so YMMV.

Enjoy, and I hope that tip helps some people out!
Your right thanks

It has to be pushed right over but does eventually swicth to the control interface
works though
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Freaky. Do you hear this when you point the camera at the Remote Capture window?

02-25-2014, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am sorry, but this is pretty lame. If the browser-based interface is that dumb, they need to fire the developers.

Steve
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am sorry, but this is pretty lame. If the browser-based interface is that dumb, they need to fire the developers.
I agree with you there! I'm sure it's supposed to be some fancy "feature" but it will really screw up the masses that use their tablet or (gulp) computer horizontally. Without any manual or explanation of what the card is supposed to do, the problem is compounded.

When I first got the card, I used my desktop computer to connect to it, and was dumbfounded that the "only controls" were AF point selection and shutter release! WTF Ricoh?

I predict this "lack of controls" will be the #1 problem reported by anyone who gets this card. Kind of like "why does my camera go 'clunk' when I move it around?" for all the DSLR bodies...
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has anybody tried using the FLU with the iPad app (if there is one)?
02-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #30

There is no APP

There are no APPs this is a web based solution on the FLU card only