Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How would you improve the K-3

Hi all,

Just wondering what you all would like to see in Pentax's next APS-C DSLR.. possibly named the K-1 if not taken by FF.

02-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 has lots of features so if the Flucard works as advertised, I will be good for many years.

Dale
02-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Less Ricoh labeling...

Steve

(...just kidding, though I still think that would be a good idea...)
02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is nothing wrong with the Ricoh labeling. It is still a Pentax at heart

02-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't own a K-3, but what would have probably swayed me is:

Tilt or Articulated LCD.
Get rid of the headphone jack 'hump'.
Option for clean HDMI out.
Real pro video with higher bitrates and 60p for 1920x1080 res
Sensor-shift SR for video mode
Higher flash syncs
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

A version with an AA filter for use with studio strobes.
02-24-2014, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, thanks for asking. Can I get mine with a FF sensor please ....

I am sure this post will be "liked" by most of us...

02-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

better flash sync >180 , and better tracking.
02-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tilt screen -- definitely.
Keep the hump -- it makes holding the camera steady very easy.
Video aspect ratio -- I lose the top and bottom of the image and my YouTube videos with my K-3 have bars on the framing, which some of my viewers have complained about. So far, I can't figure out how to change it.
Release color options -- I love my silver K-3, but if I could have gotten a custom color option then I would have.
Fewer MPs -- I rarely shoot beyond 14.6, which means the camera downsamples a lot. A native 16MP sensor would, I think, have better image resolution than the selected 24MP, which is to me simply gratuitous.

Not much else really. Here are some things I've really found I like:
Video switch -- fantastic idea. I love how easily I can switch modes now.
Video IS -- The IS on videos is ASTOUNDING. I really have to move the camera to have bad image shake.
Earphone jack -- though I don't use it, I find it makes holding the camera easier and gives me a better ability to keep the body stable.
Button layout -- similar to my K-7, so familiar, but more importantly it's more logical than the K-7.
Two SD card -- Because I can fill up 32GB very fast with this ridiculous 24MP sensor.

Overall, everything that's been said about the k-3 being the best APS-C DSLR ever is true, and not media hype. This is a stunning camera and I'm glad I shelled out the extra for the silver body. I'm proud to show off that I was an early adopter.
02-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Video aspect ratio -- I lose the top and bottom of the image and my YouTube videos with my K-3 have bars on the framing, which some of my viewers have complained about. So far, I can't figure out how to change it.
Aspect ratio is standard, 1920x1080 or 1280x720, so there should be nothing unusual unless your editor is cropping? Every DSLR and Camcorder these days uses that res/ratio for video. You lose the top and bottom of the image as seen on the LCD because the LCD is 3:2 aspect ratio for photos. Video is 16:9.
Link to an example receiving complaints?

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Keep the hump -- it makes holding the camera steady very easy.

Earphone jack -- though I don't use it, I find it makes holding the camera easier and gives me a better ability to keep the body stable.
Interesting, I generally hold the underside of the lens barrel with my left hand, not seen anyone grip the body on that side before.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 02-24-2014 at 09:40 PM.
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't own a K-3, but what would have probably swayed me is:

Tilt or Articulated LCD.
Get rid of the headphone jack 'hump'.
Option for clean HDMI out.
Real pro video with higher bitrates and 60p for 1920x1080 res
Sensor-shift SR for video mode
Higher flash syncs
Agree with the flash sync speed.. At least bring it inline with the Canikon at 1/250th/sec.

Initially i was thinking an tilt/articulated LCD would be great especially for someone like me who do macro and find myself lying on the ground to see the screen.. Im hopeful that the new Pentax Flucard will cancel out the need for a tilt screen as I will be able to compose and shot via my phone..
If you are into video more that stills then I think the tilt/articulating screen would be preferable too wifi and phone..

5 axis stabilisation as per the OMD EM-1 for stills and video..
02-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see some raised "feel" feature on the AF button, either a raised ctr or rough finish so it can be detected by feel in a hurry, And I am not so sure about the two sd card slots, there needs to be a clearer, coloured or larger display to show which one is in use or full. I have already had the situation where I changed over a card and then formatted the one in use, not the new one inserted....yes, my fault I acknowledge that and it has certainly caused me to slow down when changeing cards (I can shoot several thousand shots in a weekend using 4 & 8gb cards, so as we can keep the processing rolling))....but something that could do with some more thought to get the best out of it.

AF still needs work, it is definatley better but still needs an element of technique to get the best out of it.
02-25-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My problem isn't the AF button but the 4-way rocker. Hard to work with thick gloves on. I have found the best way to activate it is with the corner of the IR remote. A pencil eraser would work as well. Wouldn't change much else on the K-3.
02-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see a return of ISO80 (or lower if possible). The lower the better actually (would love ISO50), mostly to get slightly slower shutter speeds without the need for ND filters or the need to stop down into diffraction territory. For instance, sometimes 5 shot exposure bracketing in bright sunlight results in both "darkest" frames to be identical because both are at 1/8000s. Or sometimes I want to get a longer exposure time for panning, or to blur action (e.g. running water) slightly more, ...

More DR will always help too of course.

Wim
02-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Built-in GPS?