Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

K3 died on me

well , not so good news. My K3 is dead, it does not start anymore. I have tried with two different fully loaded batteries, but no avail.

The last thing I did was just taking pictures, when all of a sudden when pressing the shutter it started machine-gun shooting at max speed. I switched off and it stopped after a while. I tried again and same thing, machine gun. Up to three times. Then it just did not start anymore. I remember battery level was very low but still operational.

I have firmware 1.02 installed right after it was published, and all worked fine until today.

Fortunately I am covered by warranty... Any similar experiences?

03-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try accessing the menu and switch to single frame shooting. You may have accidentally set the camera in burst mode.
03-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Try accessing the menu and switch to single frame shooting. You may have accidentally set the camera in burst mode.
Thanks, but I checked that already. It was machine-gunning even when the menu was set clearly in single-frame shooting.
Now I can't verify even that because the camera does not power on.
03-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fcrespo Quote
Thanks, but I checked that already. It was machine-gunning even when the menu was set clearly in single-frame shooting.
Now I can't verify even that because the camera does not power on.
Just send it back and ask for a replacement.

03-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Try removing the battery, recharging and powering up. Like a Restart with computers, this might erase the mental confusion in the K3.
03-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Recharge the battery! Replace the memory card.

Then see if you can restart it in firmware update mode. Reapply the firmware.
03-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

well , not so good news. My K3 is dead, it does not start anymore. I have tried with two different fully loaded batteries, but no avail.

The last thing I did was just taking pictures, when all of a sudden when pressing the shutter it started machine-gun shooting at max speed. I switched off and it stopped after a while. I tried again and same thing, machine gun. Up to three times. Then it just did not start anymore. I remember battery level was very low but still operational.

I have firmware 1.02 installed right after it was published, and all worked fine until today.

Also, just a thought: I had horrible problems with a non-Pentax battery from Amazon. Nothing worked unless I used the original Pentax battery. Possible low voltage issue, Who knows? I threw out the bad backup battery and resolved the problem.
03-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

This happen to me this morning.

Battery were original and fully charged during the night.

03-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Change modes. Cycle through a few of them, turn it on and off, pull the battery each time. If you can wake it up, clear settings. Change your SD card, it could be stuck in a read error retry loop.
03-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Unresponsive

QuoteOriginally posted by dualie Quote
This happen to me this morning.

Pentax K-3 Unresponsive - YouTube

Battery were original and fully charged during the night.
Never had one play load music before
03-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #11

I had the machine gun syndrome kick in after 30 minutes of shooting in -12c weather. It lasted 8 seconds. The following weekend, I started experiencing what some have described in this thread. The camera simply froze. I had to power it on/off to be able to use it again.

Since the camera was just over a month old, the store I bought it from exchanged it for a new one. I can report that the new camera feels more responsive. It powers on/off quicker, I can scrool through menus quicker. Overall, it's just better. I must have been dealing with buggy software in the previous one. Both cameras were on the latest firmware.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another firmware upgrade this spring. These issues sure sound like something's gone awry in the software. I wish we had log files we could send Ricoh. I'm sure it would expedite the resolution to these problems.
03-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Well, there you go...

...Next question?

Steve
06-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #13

Dead Pentax K3

Same thing just happened to me! F....!

Two fully charged original Pentax batteries. Even changed the memory cards. Still dead.

Can't power on anymore.