Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Flucard O-CF1 firmware update wishlist

As the various commentary on the Flucard O-CF1 has become somewhat fractured between various threads I thought I'd start one where people can post what they would like to see added to the O-CF1's capability in future firmware updates. That is assuming there will be future updates. I'm not sure if the K3 update included the Anti moiré bracketing because it was proposed on this forum, but it can't hurt to have one place where the developers can see what we users are hoping to see added.

I'll start this off with wishing for the following camera function compatibility

Mirror Lock Up (both single shot and multi exposure)
Exposure Bracketing
Interval Composite
In camera HDR
Digital DOF preview capability
2 and 12 second delay

Also:

Windows Phone 8 compatibility (if possible)

I know that multi image approaches will pose problems for image reviewing, but why not have the camera functions useable even with some restrictions.

If it seems more appropriate for this to be under Accessories rather than the K3 forum then can it be moved there? Not sure who I'm asking there; Adam or other moderators I assume.

Last edited by unkipunki; 03-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.
03-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good call, especially the mirror lock-up and bracketing. That's really needed as this thing is ideal for those of use who like tripods, mirror lock-up and super sharp images.
03-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Flucard firmware

I'm sure I will think of others but how about something on the client side that can automatically pull files off the card into a folder so we have the tethering that many people thought this might be.

As much as I like the universal usability of the browser I would like to see an app where you can swipe to change settings such as aperture and ISO

When you don't have live view enabled how about when you use it to trip the shutter it sends a thumbnail imediately to the remote device so you don't have to switch to image review.
03-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The ability to take a shot in PDAF mode and not send the thumbnail. Or multiple exposure mode.

03-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

From what I can understand most of the camera controls are disabled when using liveview on the smatrphone.

What I would like to be different would be a mode whereby the phone acts only as a display, so I could use it just as I would a monitor connected over HDMI, but without the inconvenience of cables and having to carry an extra device (the monitor).
03-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I'm sure I will think of others but how about something on the client side that can automatically pull files off the card into a folder so we have the tethering that many people thought this might be.

As much as I like the universal usability of the browser I would like to see an app where you can swipe to change settings such as aperture and ISO
If it's standard web API calls, it won't be hard to do this...the Flucard is a good step in the right direction.
03-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Lister - From my understanding of others' input regarding macro work with the OFC-1, you can use a supported handheld device as a remote monitor while focussing manually in Live View, including with focus peaking. This is how I will be using it for astro work (minus the focus peaking). I doubt I will need any other function of the unit but they are nice to have.

Jack

05-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #8

Need multi-exposure support

I just wanted to use the FLU CARD for the first time - to do a multi-exposure shot with me being distant from the camera. Imagine my disappointment to see that this is not supported. And the IR remote trigger won't work in this case because it's in bright sunlight. So, here the remove shot feature via the Flucard would be the only solution apart from using the "multi-exposure with delay" mode. Damn.
05-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
I just wanted to use the FLU CARD for the first time - to do a multi-exposure shot with me being distant from the camera. Imagine my disappointment to see that this is not supported. And the IR remote trigger won't work in this case because it's in bright sunlight. So, here the remove shot feature via the Flucard would be the only solution apart from using the "multi-exposure with delay" mode. Damn.
Triggering the burst mode "remotely" may not be so difficult to be implemented, if Live View is stopped. You can do this "locally" (by pushing the camera shutter button), if you stop Live View.

Last edited by K-3-lover; 05-04-2014 at 02:12 AM.
05-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

I would like to see it get/set GPS information from my phone
05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Two things I see as very important to make it more useable for me

First, to have it act as a WiFi client rather than an access point. In other words it would connect to an existing network rather than create its own. Among other things, the way it works currently is very cumbersome because one has to disconnect the PC / laptop / tablet / smartphone from the internet and everything else to connect to the camera. Some have suggested that this would be a problem because wifi is not available anywhere. This is not so because just about any device that has wifi can itself act as a wifi hotspot, even the cheapest android phones can nowadays.

The other major issue I have with it is that when in landscape mode it seems not possible to zoom in to the live view image. Maybe I just don;t know how or haven;t understood the manual but the only way I found to zoom in the landscape mode is to switch to portrait, zoom and then back to landscape which is unnecessarily cumbersome. I find it necessary to use landscape mode to have a large enough image to be useful for focusing so I have to keep switching between portrait to access the controls and landscape to be able to see the image in sufficient detail. Same applies for all the other controls by the way. I had in mind to make a mount to use the smartphone as a tiltable display but the lack of controls in landscape mode makes this impractical as I have to keep rotating the phone to switch between landcape and portrait.
07-17-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Windows Phone 7 and 8 support!
07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #13

phone support

Petez - support isn't by device, it's by the device's browser. Any wifi device with a browser should be fine (unless there's a problem with the browser, which if that's the case, just switch browsers). That's what's nice about it, it's completely hardware agnostic. That's why it will work with Android, iOS or Windows devices (or anything else).

That means no worries about any upgrades!
07-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote
Petez - support isn't by device, it's by the device's browser. Any wifi device with a browser should be fine (unless there's a problem with the browser, which if that's the case, just switch browsers). That's what's nice about it, it's completely hardware agnostic. That's why it will work with Android, iOS or Windows devices (or anything else).

Actually that's both true and untrue. There are no other browsers that currently work on Windows Phone 7 or 8 and the flucard goes not work with the browser that is supplied with WP7 or WP8. So yes it is a browser issue, but whilst the hardware is restricted it becomes a hardware issue by proxy
07-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote

Actually, for the Windows Phone, only IE is available, so the Flu Card doesn't work. For Windows PC, laptops, and tablets, Chrome is available.