Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #91

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Hmm. I headed over to this thread hoping for some good knowledge on making the purchase or not, but I see messages about all sorts of things, from an irrelevant USB3, to wifi being a bad protocol, to the product being half baked. I wish I had found better information in the posts... I'm even less clear if I should buy the flu or not.
I totally understand you. For me the flucard was a bit of a disappointment. But to be fair, mainly because I shoot raw, and was hoping to transfer those files wireless. I know better now. I still think there are issues, that should be solved. Head over to the review from dpreview, it gives more info.

04-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #92
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A major flaw with the current firmware is that you must connect to the card wirelessly in order to set the wifi channel. If you're in an area where you can't get a good connection due to interference on the current channel, you're totally hosed. There absolutely needs to be a way to change the channel from the camera menus. I have had terrible experience keeping the card connected to my phone or tablet, even in an area where there are few wifi networks and I set the channel to one that does not appear to have any conflicts. When it works, it does everything nearly everything I want it to do and I have gotten a few shots that would have been nearly impossible without it. But it works so infrequently that it's merely a disappointing toy that I can only play with when *it* wants to play. I'm hoping it gets more stable with a firmware update.
04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the answer is a firm wait to buy if/until the bugs are worked out.
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #94

I wish if the next version of Flucard firmware will have a function automatically scanning Wi-Fi in the environment at the start up and choosing the least used channel automatically.

04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #95
Pentaxian

It seems that there are two uses for this card, and neither are satisfied.

One is a remote shooting setup, but it is limited by the single shot/get thumbnail timing. I've used it where the body is on a tripod, me hidden some distance away, and was able to get some decent shots, but the lack of continuous shooting or mirror up, or even timed interval exposures limits it's usefulness.

The second is to upload raw files.

Neither are beyond the hardware capabilities. A bit of hacking could make this very useful, and I suspect someone will do it, or Ricoh will.
04-20-2014, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #96

This guy is trying to implement a tethering solution for a studio by using O-FC1, Trek Instant Wi-Fi app and Capture One. He uses the browser for the remote shooting, and Instant Wi-Fi to download RAW to Capture One running on PC. See the third Flash movie at:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/longterm/20140328_641563.html
04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #97

It may be tough for K-3 power supply, but you may insert Trek standard Flucard to slot 1 and O-FC1 to slot 2. While you shoot a photo and preview a low res JPEG on the fly, Flucard in slot 2 may upload RAW of the photo to FTP server of your home network.

04-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I was wondering if it could help preview performance if jpeg are shot with a smaller size (6mp)?

My own tests don't seem to indicate this but I'd like to know your opinion?
04-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #99

I usually selected "Auto Resize (XS)" option for Wireless Memory Card (slot 2), whatever JPEG size I selected for slot 1.
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I was wondering if it could help preview performance if jpeg are shot with a smaller size (6mp)?

My own tests don't seem to indicate this but I'd like to know your opinion?
If you mean a thumbnail showing up in the left bottom of Remote Capture page by "preview", it is 160x120 pixel thumbnail independent from JPEG resolution that you set. The size of the JPEG does not affect the size of its thumbnail. You may recognize the difference when you click the thumbnail in Image View page to download the full resolution JPEG.

Last edited by K-3-lover; 04-22-2014 at 05:23 PM.