Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's actually very useful

I see quit a few comments that the FLU card is not something or doesn't do something but how about what it does do.

Today I was doing some shots of cameras for my blog and I was able to set the K-3 up with the DFA100 WR and FLU card and then use my iPad to take the pictures so I didn't have to go back to the camera or check images on the camera. I have it set so it takes medium jpegs to the FLU card and RAW to card slot1. Worked great none of this back and forth between what I'm setting up and the camera. Also when you click on the thumbnail and then rotate the iPad the image is large enough to check critical focus. I do wish I could zoom in on the captured image without saving it and opening photos.

03-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #62
Unregistered User

Finally my Flu card has been shipped so tomorrow I will remotely control my shutter... Price in Sweden with shipping: 135 USD
03-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #63
Forum Member

My Pentax Flucard arrived today and I've played around with it a bit. It mostly works as expected. I'm looking forward to using it for some real photos when the tripod is low to the ground.

I initially had troubles with disconnects about once a minute. I was able to solve that by configuring the Flucard to use a different Wifi channel, but that was not as easy as it sounds. First I changed it from the default channel 6 to channel 2 (just picking at random). It got worse. It wouldn't hold a connection long enough to change the channel, and I didn't see any way to change the channel from the camera. I got around this by disabling my wireless router (which happened to be set to channel 2 - oops!). Now I have it set to 11 and it seems to coexist peacefully with my Wifi and my neighbor's Wifi. I'm a little worried how this will work when I go out on some flower expeditions within range of public Wifi hotspots. Pentax really needs to have a way to change the Wifi settings directly from the camera. Did I miss this setting somewhere in the K-3?

One feature I can't get to work is zoom in live view. I touch the magnifying glass, it turns blue, but no matter how long I wait I don't get a zoomed image. Is anybody else successfully zooming the live view?

I've used it successfully with both a Nexus 7 (2013) table and Galaxy S3 phone.
03-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #64

Gordo,

We may put "change Wi-Fi channel by the camera menu" to the wish list for Pentax. Some Wi-Fi router has a function to automatically find a channel not used in the environment. They may add this option to the menu.

You should use an Android app, such as Wifi Analyzer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer) to find a channel before they implement the feature.

Last edited by K-3-lover; 03-10-2014 at 05:14 PM.
03-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #65
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip about the Wifi analyzer app. I'm sure it will come in handy!
03-11-2014, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

On other tip, Despite our resident 'pro' rants you can set up a watch folder on you pc for Lightroom or just to display last shot.

Flu-card pro instant wifi (not the one with pro on the end) will allow bulk download of raw,jpg or video to a named folder
and
flu-card fro shoot&view (not the one with pro on the end) will allow full size display of last jpg.
flu-card download is also functional

Flu-card Download
Flu-card Instant WiFi
Flu-card Shoot & View

Not only can you do that, but you can use your tablet at the same time to control the camera even out in the field.

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I see quit a few comments that the FLU card is not something or doesn't do something but how about what it does do.
I think those complaining what it doesn't do , actually don't have a clue what it does
Sort of Pentax/Treks fault for not supplying a comprehensive manual but I have my doubts it would be read .!
03-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #67
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
My Pentax Flucard arrived today and I've played around with it a bit. It mostly works as expected. I'm looking forward to using it for some real photos when the tripod is low to the ground.

I initially had troubles with disconnects about once a minute. I was able to solve that by configuring the Flucard to use a different Wifi channel, but that was not as easy as it sounds. First I changed it from the default channel 6 to channel 2 (just picking at random). It got worse. It wouldn't hold a connection long enough to change the channel, and I didn't see any way to change the channel from the camera. I got around this by disabling my wireless router (which happened to be set to channel 2 - oops!). Now I have it set to 11 and it seems to coexist peacefully with my Wifi and my neighbor's Wifi. I'm a little worried how this will work when I go out on some flower expeditions within range of public Wifi hotspots. Pentax really needs to have a way to change the Wifi settings directly from the camera. Did I miss this setting somewhere in the K-3?

One feature I can't get to work is zoom in live view. I touch the magnifying glass, it turns blue, but no matter how long I wait I don't get a zoomed image. Is anybody else successfully zooming the live view?

I've used it successfully with both a Nexus 7 (2013) table and Galaxy S3 phone.
If this happens you can reset the card in the camera so you start a new on the default channel.

03-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
On other tip, Despite our resident 'pro' rants you can set up a watch folder on you pc for Lightroom or just to display last shot.

Flu-card pro instant wifi (not the one with pro on the end) will allow bulk download of raw,jpg or video to a named folder
and
flu-card fro shoot&view (not the one with pro on the end) will allow full size display of last jpg.

Flu-card Download
Flu-card Instant WiFi
Flu-card Shoot & View

Not only can you do that, but you can use your tablet at the same time to control the camera even out in the field.

I think those complaining what it doesn't do , actually don't have a clue what it does
Sort of Pentax/Treks fault for not supplying a comprehensive manual but I have my doubts it would be read .!
awaldram, did you try this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Flucard_GeoTag&hl=en

Thanks
03-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #69
Unregistered User

and

Flu-card Download
Flu-card Instant WiFi
Flu-card Shoot & View

I think you are quite technical and I think of myself as quite computer litterate but I can't get these apps to work on my Galaxy S4 or Xperia V. Any hints?

Also when using the Pentaxpage with Chrome and saving to the phones the Galaxy S4 saves the fullsize jpg but the Xperia won't. Any ideas?

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 08:56 PM ----------

So, I got the flucard and it works as expected. With the computer the live view is fast so I can set the focus manually but with my two phones, Galaxy S4 and Xperia V, the live view is not very fast. Any ideas on how to speed them up?
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You assume I thnk your a 'Pro' ? .....You assume to much.
I'm sorry you take offense but I was not refeing to you at all.

I pro would not use this product in the way you infer nor would they consider its use.
@ 30-40 sec per RAW + process time you woudl not be getting any imediate sales but alienating you clientell.

I'm curious if you consider yourself a 'Pro' then what percentage of you income is Photography delivering, are you a member of any 'Proffessional bodies and which ones (BiPP etc).?

Your complaints are not justified and only show you did not read the spec sheet before buying, That is not Ricoh's concern.
As others have pointed out if Nikon fiills your requirments then as a 'pro' who generates the bulk of you livley hood from your phogrpahy then thats what you should be shooting rather than ranting here not devloping any income.
At which point can I put the word "clueless" back in my previous post without having the moderators jump down my throat? Seriously, this guy has NO IDEA what he's talking about whatsoever! There isn't even a hint of basic understanding in that ludicrous rant!

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 08:17 PM ----------

and

Flu-card Download
Flu-card Instant WiFi
Flu-card Shoot & View

Did you try this? Did it work successfully? Because I DID try it, and none of Trek's apps actually recognize the OFC-1 as a FLU card, so none of that worked for me. I tried official Trek apps (which have a horrible rating on the Play Store) and third party apps. None of them recognized the OFC-1 as a FLU card. If you did try it and it did really work, then I'd actually be willing to buy the card again and try it. If you're just guessing randomly... then stop doing that.

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I do wish I could zoom in on the captured image without saving it and opening photos.
The zooming function is arbitrarily disabled on the web page that the server displays. In Chrome, I can go into the Accessibilities section of the settings and enable "Allow zooming even for pages that disable it", which allowed me to zoom into pictures as deep as I wanted. I don't know if the Safari browser has an equivalent setting.

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-11-2014 at 05:29 PM.
03-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can move these posts to the thread about why I'm not buying a K-3 (yet). This was the feature that caught my eye first, and it looks like it still needs some maturity. I shoot right now with Eye-fi and EZ share cards if I am shooting in studio conditions, and have gotten so used to checking my work on a large screen, that it would be hard to give that up for the tethering, which interested me. But I'll keep checking back.
03-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The number of people who expected the tool to be something it was never intended to be and are then inclined to complain that it isn't what they mistakenly expected is somewhat puzzling to me.
I was thinking the same thing, though as I do remember that the actual capabilities of the card were not well-defined at the time of announcement and that there was a lot of wishful speculation on this site and probably elsewhere.
Uncertainty of truth + wishful speculation --> high probability of disappointment
Never mind that it is almost impossible even at this late date to get specific information about the card outside of forum posts and a smattering of online reviews.

Steve
03-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Uncertainty of truth + wishful speculation --> high probability of disappointment
LOL, that's pretty much the unofficial motto of PentaxForums, at least in the gear and rumors areas.
03-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #74
Unregistered User

One thing I have found is that the LV when in upright position is a bit laggy so much that setting manual focus is a pain but in horisontal position it is real time. This on my phones and the tab.
03-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The number of people who expected the tool to be something it was never intended to be and are then inclined to complain that it isn't what they mistakenly expected is somewhat puzzling to me.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking the same thing, though as I do remember that the actual capabilities of the card were not well-defined at the time of announcement and that there was a lot of wishful speculation on this site and probably elsewhere.
Never mind that it is almost impossible even at this late date to get specific information about the card outside of forum posts and a smattering of online reviews.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
LOL, that's pretty much the unofficial motto of PentaxForums, at least in the gear and rumors areas.
What is it about Pentax marketing in the west that they can't seem to shape expectations, merge them with opportunity, price them for profit and timely deliver a supply of the product to a group of satisfied customers?

I swear to heaven, I'm just a C+ guy (you know, A, B, C, D, F - I'm about average) from St. Louis and I think I could actuially do a better job. I really mean that. I think I actually could do a better job.