Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Flucard impressions so far

I guess Its best to start off by blaming myself. With wifi- functionality built in to the card, I took it for granted that there should be ways to transfer raw-files to a computer, with ease. No so. So shame on me��..

Other than that it does pretty much what it says it should. Seems to lack some robustness though. Sometimes the web interface presents a black image view, for no reason at all. Others have pointed out missing functionality such as
Bracketing etc. all valid remarks. I'm looking forward to see an updated version.

/Leo
Update: IOS owners can use the flucard HD app to download from the flucard, and if you choose to save your raw-files there, then you can in fact rather painless download raw-files. It will take a while....but still.


Last edited by Leooel; 03-09-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: New findings
03-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,421
I am sure apps will pop up which include easy RAW downloads, bracketing etc

If I had access to the api or a k3+flucard i would be writing 1 right now. It seems to be a very simple API so I don't see any reason a half decent developer couldn't knock up some of those features very quickly
03-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I am sure apps will pop up which include easy RAW downloads, bracketing etc

If I had access to the api or a k3+flucard i would be writing 1 right now. It seems to be a very simple API so I don't see any reason a half decent developer couldn't knock up some of those features very quickly
Yes, I second that. The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...
03-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
I just tested the Flucard applications on windows. The older versions, without "pro" at the end, work completely.

Works:
FlucardŽ Pro Download
FluCardŽ Pro Instant WIFI
FluCardŽ Pro Shoot & View

Does not work:
FluCardŽ Pro Instant WIFI Pro
FluCardŽ Pro Shoot & View Pro

03-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oracle, Az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
You need to upgrade your firmware to ver. 1.03.
03-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,288
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
You need to upgrade your firmware to ver. 1.03.
How does 1.03 change the flu?
03-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
How does 1.03 change the flu?
I thought you had to put one hand on hip the other sticking out and swing from the hips incanintg I'm a teapot.

This is known to increase signal and repair most flu ills.
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,288
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I thought you had to put one hand on hip the other sticking out and swing from the hips incanintg I'm a teapot.

This is known to increase signal and repair most flu ills.

Maybe I should refrase:

One comment by Ahab said that one had to update to 1.03. My question is what difference there is between 1.02 and 1.03 regarding Pentax Flucard.

I must have been really unclear in my previous post, sorry about that.

03-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 70
I just received notice today that Adorama is shipping my back ordered pentax flu card today. Finally!!!
Should be interesting, I always enjoyed using the tethering feature with Olympus studio software.
Hank
03-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,493
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Maybe I should refrase:

One comment by Ahab said that one had to update to 1.03. My question is what difference there is between 1.02 and 1.03 regarding Pentax Flucard.

I must have been really unclear in my previous post, sorry about that.
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-3 digital camera.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.03 for PENTAX K-3.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
Changes to V1.03
  • Correspond to HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.
  • Improved stability for general performance. *Contents of [Version 1.02] and earlier version will be also updated.
Changes to V1.02
  • Added Bracket shooting in [Anti-Aliasing Filter Simulator].*How to operate Bracket shooting click here.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
  • Improved stability of battery level indicator when using with battery grip.
  • Optimized performance of continuous shooting when setting AF.C mode.
Changes to V1.01
  • Shorten processing time of combining time for HDR Capture.
  • Improved performance of continuous shooting when using phase-matching autofocus.
  • Extended enlarged display time for live view.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Caution
  • Only PENTAX K-3 users are permitted to download the firmware update.
03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,288
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-3 digital camera.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.03 for PENTAX K-3.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
Changes to V1.03
  • Correspond to HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.
  • Improved stability for general performance. *Contents of [Version 1.02] and earlier version will be also updated.
Changes to V1.02
  • Added Bracket shooting in [Anti-Aliasing Filter Simulator].*How to operate Bracket shooting click here.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
  • Improved stability of battery level indicator when using with battery grip.
  • Optimized performance of continuous shooting when setting AF.C mode.
Changes to V1.01
  • Shorten processing time of combining time for HDR Capture.
  • Improved performance of continuous shooting when using phase-matching autofocus.
  • Extended enlarged display time for live view.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Caution
  • Only PENTAX K-3 users are permitted to download the firmware update.
I have read this, no mentioning of the Flucard. I can see that but Ahab says, in this thread, that one has to update. I just would like to know why he says that. Has he found something working better after updating to 1.03 or what?
03-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,652
I just received mine today from Adorama.

I'm a little disappointed with the way it works. To use it, my Android device must connect to it as a WiFi access point. This means I can't be connected to any other WiFi access point at the same time, and the 4G on my device gets disabled. So essentially, my fancy schmancy Galaxy Note 3 losses all Internet connectivity when I use it to connect to the FLU card.

Having said that, it works well enough for its purpose. Being able to control the camera remotely AND get a live view feed right on my phone is pretty sweet. The ability to browse all photos on the card is nice too, although it doesn't display RAW files, only JPG.

The fact that it's all run through a web browser means it should work on any device, which is also nice.

Now I need to figure out how to do other, more useful things, like retrieve files from the card remotely.

If only I could retain Internet connectivity while using the card... that part really annoys me. I would've been much happier with a Bluetooth solution.
03-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Maybe I should refrase:

One comment by Ahab said that one had to update to 1.03. My question is what difference there is between 1.02 and 1.03 regarding Pentax Flucard.

I must have been really unclear in my previous post, sorry about that.
Is there anything stopping you from simply updating the firmware to see if it improves the FLU card performance?
03-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,652
I take it back, this isn't "pretty sweet" at all. It's borderline useless. I can't figure out any way to pull files off the OFC-1 remotely. None of the standard FLU card apps recognize this card as a FLU card, so I can't use them. So essentially, this Pentax OFC-1 serves only one purpose: remotely controlling the camera from at most about 20 feet away. I suppose it also allows image review in finer detail when you zoom in, but that's hardly a benefit.

In return, my Android device loses all Internet connectivity and my K-3 becomes slow as molasses (because the OFC-1 write speed is miserably slow).

Fail, fail, fail... unless there are plans to improve this trash, I'll be returning it for a refund. It's not even useful in a studio environment, because I can't work on the image after I've taken a picture. It's just locked up tight on the OFC-1 until I transfer it over the old-fashioned way: either connecting a USB cable or using a traditional card reader.

Can't believe I waited 4 months for this crap. How disappointing.
03-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,421
there are plenty of examples showing how to get the full size JPG off the flu using the browser, you just need to view it then save as
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
display, download, dslr, equipment, eyefi, files, flucard, flucard impressions, folder, functionality, half, ideas, income, instant, k-3, k3, live, pentax k-3, phones, product, s4, solution, transfer, view, wifi, words
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So how many GB have you used so far this year? Iksobarg Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 12-06-2013 10:40 AM
Black & White A Summer so Far CWyatt Post Your Photos! 17 01-21-2013 10:50 PM
My K5IIs so far JeffP3456 Pentax K-5 10 10-31-2012 09:46 PM
So far so good, M42 SMC 50F1.4 wz K7, but kenkk Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 08-14-2010 05:23 PM
So close but so far away... pentagor Post Your Photos! 4 07-06-2008 06:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top