Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,511
Shake Reduction greyed out in new K3 (stills

I saw a thread re shake reduction being greyed out in movie mode.

I just got my K3 today and find the shake reduction setting is greyed out in the menu and on the screen - and set in 'off'.

I like to use SR.

I have an M42 adapter in the mount with an SMC Tak on.

I think I must have some setting or switch wrong. I have MF (but same happens for AF on switch).

Other than this - initial impressions are very good. Much easier to focus than previous camera. I will be reading the manual in the next few days, but there did not seem to be any instruction re the SR issue using the index and thumbing through.

03-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,622
Check to see if your camera is set for remote or timer shutter release, both disable SR
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,511
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Check to see if your camera is set for remote or timer shutter release, both disable SR
Thanks for the suggestion. I have the settings in 'single frame shooting', so this does not seem to explain it.

I have even, since, tried 'reset' on the menu settings in the two different menus where 'reset' appears, thinking that would get me back to factory default which I would have though included SR not greyed out.
03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,511
Original Poster
Since the last entry I put here I found another post on another thread saying that a firmware update might do the trick.

I now have firmware 1.03 installed, and still the same effect. Beats me why I buy a product and the supplier installs a version of the firmware which they have already superseded. When I buy I should have the up to date version shipped to me!

03-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,619
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Beats me why I buy a product and the supplier installs a version of the firmware which they have already superseded.
The cameras aren't made to order, they are made well ahead of the time that they reach the consumer. If it was manufactured prior to the new firmware release then it could not have had the newest version installed.
03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,511
Original Poster
Now, something even more interesting. I mounted the 18-55 kit lens from my K100DS and shake reduction and the menu item were ON when switched on.

How do I get SR with the genuine Pentax m42 adapter in?
03-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Since the last entry I put here I found another post on another thread saying that a firmware update might do the trick.

I now have firmware 1.03 installed, and still the same effect. Beats me why I buy a product and the supplier installs a version of the firmware which they have already superseded. When I buy I should have the up to date version shipped to me!
Did you buy direct from the factory? Otherwise who knows how long the camera sat on the vendor's shelf.

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have an M42 adapter in the mount with an SMC Tak on.
Did you set aperture ring to enable in custom menu 27? If yes it should be asking you to enter the focal range so the camera knows how much SR to use?
03-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,511
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Did you buy direct from the factory? Otherwise who knows how long the camera sat on the vendor's shelf.

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 12:42 PM ----------



Did you set aperture ring to enable in custom menu 27? If yes it should be asking you to enter the focal range so the camera knows how much SR to use?
I bought from an official retailer. The box had been opened presumably to check that everything was there. (Shutter count was 0).

I eventually found the aperture ring item in the last menu and it works. That was a most pleasing feeling, that all is well now. And I updated the firmware.

Happen to be at a car dealers for a recall service right now. The car industry updates what they manufacture so that if you buy after a recall the recall matter is fixed before delivery, and you do not get a recall for your shiny new car the day after you take it from the dealer.

---------- Post added 03-07-14 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The cameras aren't made to order, they are made well ahead of the time that they reach the consumer. If it was manufactured prior to the new firmware release then it could not have had the newest version installed.
I know that. See my comment about cars and recalls just above.

Anyway, I am happy now, it does what I want. And it is so much better to focus that the old camera. I could focus properly last night in dimmish indoor light which had always been a challenge before.

03-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Anyway, I am happy now, it does what I want. And it is so much better to focus that the old camera. I could focus properly last night in dimmish indoor light which had always been a challenge before.
Well - that's a happy outcome!!
03-06-2014, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glendale, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 61
crewl1, great catching that.
03-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Happen to be at a car dealers for a recall service right now. The car industry updates what they manufacture so that if you buy after a recall the recall matter is fixed before delivery, and you do not get a recall for your shiny new car the day after you take it from the dealer.[COLOR="Silver"]
.
Car industry will only 'recall' for major defects, both Nikon and Pentax have offered full recall repair (irrelevant of warranty status) on recent models (k5.d600) for life.


minor defects you bought it you live with it for both industries.!

As to firmware both my last two new cars have needed 'user' installed firmware to the head console to supports my 'bleeding edge' bluetooth phones .

Difference is my cars cost 30-40 times the price of my camera.!
03-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Car industry will only 'recall' for major defects, both Nikon and Pentax have offered full recall repair (irrelevant of warranty status) on recent models (k5.d600) for life.


minor defects you bought it you live with it for both industries.!

As to firmware both my last two new cars have needed 'user' installed firmware to the head console to supports my 'bleeding edge' bluetooth phones .

Difference is my cars cost 30-40 times the price of my camera.!
Every time you take your car to the dealer for as little as an oil change it receives a Firmware Update, whether you know it or not.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, camera, car, dslr, firmware, focus, k-3, k3, menu, pentax k-3, post, re, recall, reduction, shake, shake reduction, sr, switch, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3 Shake Reduction Issue? CDW Pentax K-3 7 02-26-2014 05:34 PM
K-3 Shake Reduction grayed out in Movie Mode kirov Pentax K-3 4 11-09-2013 02:40 AM
no shake reduction in video mode skipdc Pentax Q 2 02-24-2013 02:58 PM
In Camera Shake Reduction Question jcamero Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 11-20-2012 12:56 PM
K10 - why Shake Reduction menu is greyed out? klopus Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 03-05-2012 11:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top