Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Jhmos - it would be interesting to test this against other Pentax cameras and even other brands, to see if that is more typical than not?
A K100D is the only other DSLR I have but I will have a look at that too, even though the voltage is different and I'll have to use a different connector.

John.

05-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #32

I have encounter the runaway mirror syndrome. This is my first week with the K-3 Premium Silver Edition. The temp was 45F at 79% relative humidity. Firmware updated to 1.03. Both the K-3 and battery grip had the batteries loaded and turned on. The camera was programed in interval movie record mode at 2 sec intervals in full HD with live view. Photos were taken for about 20 min before the mirror flapping began. Turning the off switch stopped it after a few seconds. Serial number 2578760. What is the best way to report this to Pentax?
05-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurans Quote
I have encounter the runaway mirror syndrome. This is my first week with the K-3 Premium Silver Edition. The temp was 45F at 79% relative humidity. Firmware updated to 1.03. Both the K-3 and battery grip had the batteries loaded and turned on. The camera was programed in interval movie record mode at 2 sec intervals in full HD with live view. Photos were taken for about 20 min before the mirror flapping began. Turning the off switch stopped it after a few seconds. Serial number 2578760. What is the best way to report this to Pentax?
It depends what country but in the UK < 7days its Dead on Arrival take it back to your retailer and demmand a new one.
05-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

In the other thread "K3 Crazy Mirror Sickness (Mirror Flapping Lockup) - Report Yours Here!", a service report stated that several circuit boards were replaced and that it had a defective assembly. I was hoping that this issue would only be a software upgrade issue. But the way it looks, it seems that there's more to it than that. I hope Pentax will do something about this right away. Such a good camera and I was hoping on getting one in the future.

05-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
In the other thread "K3 Crazy Mirror Sickness (Mirror Flapping Lockup) - Report Yours Here!", a service report stated that several circuit boards were replaced and that it had a defective assembly. I was hoping that this issue would only be a software upgrade issue. But the way it looks, it seems that there's more to it than that. I hope Pentax will do something about this right away. Such a good camera and I was hoping on getting one in the future.
The thing is all those 'me to' with mirror slap and 'hope Pentax fix it soon' are as we see pxssing in the wind posting in an English/American site will not effect a repair.

If as seems likely its a single or multiple hardware issue and Pentax/Ricoh have decided due to the small number to fix on fail then 'waiting fro a FW fix' will never happen.

As I keep saying if you camera doesn't work claim warranty, Though I think it reasonable to allow a single flap episode as there is a query on new batteries
05-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I believe that getting a new camera using the warranty would be the best solution. That's how Pentax should fix this problem.
05-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #37

Mirror flap issue : (

I've been reading about this mirror flap issue and feeling smug and grateful that I've had no occurrence . . . until this week. I was shooting single shots (RAW) at the beach and all of a sudden my K3 cut loose with the mirror slapping! I shut the camera off and it continued to slap. I had to pull the battery to get it to stop.

I shoot nearly everyday and have had the camera since January and this is the first time this has occurred. This issue may be more widespread than we're hearing here. If it happens again I will contact Pentax.

05-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

One thing I know is that this problem existed with the K-5 and was eliminated on the K-5II and K-5IIs. I wonder why this wasn't taken into consideration to avoid the occurrence on the K-3?

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-18-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: grammar
05-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
One thing I know is that this problem existed with the K-5 and was eliminated on the K-5II and K-5IIs. I wonder why this wasn't taken into consideration to avoid the occurrence on the K-3?
Terribly disappointing to hear this . . .