Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't Get the Firmware Update to Work

I have tried it with different cards (all formatted in camera prior to adding the firmware). I have tried it with the links from PF and directly from Ricoh (each time getting the following file: fwdc220b-2.bin) and I have tried it with different batteries. None of the attempts had anything happen when I powered on the camera and held the menu button at the same time. Anyone else have the same problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Stevi

03-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Drag & drop the firmware file to the root directory of the card. (D: or E: however your PC labels it) Make sure that the firmware is not inside a folder on the card.

(Removed my prior erroneous information. While it doesn't help OP, whose problem is solved, it eliminates confusion for subsequent readers. My apologies!)

Last edited by dansamy; 03-08-2014 at 03:58 PM.
03-08-2014, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For some reason each update has the same file number. Delete the -2 from the number, it will work. fwdc220b.bin
03-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Formatting the card in the camera creates a DCIM folder. The card needs to be completely blank. Format it in your PC. Drag & drop the firmware file to the root directory of the card. (D: or E: however your PC labels it)
Tried that, it made no difference.

When I did it last time it worked flawlessly I'm at a loss as to why this time it is so hard.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
For some reason each update has the same file number. Delete the -2 from the number, it will work. fwdc220b.bin
So simple and yes it works thank you so much!

03-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Your welcome
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you put no card in and power up while holding the menu button are you at least getting the Firmware info screen?
Pentax K3
Firmware V1.xx
03-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
If you put no card in and power up while holding the menu button are you at least getting the Firmware info screen?
Pentax K3
Firmware V1.xx
I never tried it without a card but until I made the changes to the file that sundr recommended absolutely nothing happened. The camera was behaving the same as it would during a regular power on. As soon as I changed the file name and took off -2 from the file name I had no problem in getting it to work.
03-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Pentax K3
Firmware V1.xx
With the K3 firmware info is found through the menu: wrench 4 > firmware info/options. The problem bigted was having is with the fact that each firmware update has the same file number fwdc220b.bin, so that when the computer downloads the update, when there are old updates on the computer it tags on a -2 to distinguish it from the old files: fwdc220b.bin and fwdc220b-1.bin.

03-08-2014, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
This ^^^^

If there is an existing firmware in the location where you extract the new firmware, it is possible that the newly extracted firmware is being automatically renamed rather than over-writing the earlier firmware. The firmware placed on the SD card needs to be named fwdc220b.bin or it won't be recognized.

Also, my experience is that you do not need a blank SD card. Just make sure that the firmware is placed in the root directory (ie outside the DCIM folder). The recommendation for a blank card may be more for protection of images than anything else.
03-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah! Very simple, yet frustrating & irritating. I'm glad to see you've got it fixed.
03-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Formatting the card in the camera creates a DCIM folder. The card needs to be completely blank. Format it in your PC. Drag & drop the firmware file to the root directory of the card. (D: or E: however your PC labels it)
Formatting on ones PC using the OS format is not a recommended practice even using Fat32 or exFat32 as it destroys a protected partition on the SD card set up by ones camera formatting. The card does not need to be completely blank and can contain the DCIM folder, you just need to download or copy the upgrade .BIN file to the root directory of the card not to the DCIM folder and the camera will pick up the update.

If you want to format your SD cards with your computer then download and use SD Formatter which is designed specifically to format for these cards.
03-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
This ^^^^

If there is an existing firmware in the location where you extract the new firmware, it is possible that the newly extracted firmware is being automatically renamed rather than over-writing the earlier firmware. The firmware placed on the SD card needs to be named fwdc220b.bin or it won't be recognized.
Well put. Thank you for the more succinct clarification of my answer
03-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

While good advise, not quite true (at least for me). Just yesterday I dragged the latest .bin file to the root directory of primary (#1) HDSC card and then "rebooted" using the MENU + ON key combination and it has always worked for me. This is now the 3rd time now done the same way. In fact, my .bin file is still sitting there on the root.

YMMV

Michael
03-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
While good advise, not quite true (at least for me). Just yesterday I dragged the latest .bin file to the root directory of primary (#1) HDSC card and then "rebooted" using the MENU + ON key combination and it has always worked for me. This is now the 3rd time now done the same way. In fact, my .bin file is still sitting there on the root.

YMMV

Michael
I edited my response to eliminate my error.
03-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Formatting on ones PC using the OS format is not a recommended practice even using Fat32 or exFat32 as it destroys a protected partition on the SD card set up by ones camera formatting.
As you can read in my post here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/253...not-found.html
it was exactly vice versa for my K-500!
Card used: Older 1GB Transcend
Formatting the SD-card in the cam: Update not recognized (as if not there)
Formatting the SD-card with my cardreader under WinXP ("FAT", no quick-format, volume label "K-500"): Worked like a charm!

Yes, strange, I know. But Ricoh did not reply to my support request and so I just gave it a try.
Maybe there was a firmware bug in V1.0 (K-500) that did not allow updating the firmware?? Don't know.
But NOT formatting the card in the cam was the solution for me!