Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A tale of two cards

I was up early, so I decided to start processing my photos from yesterday before heading out again today. I pulled the main card and to my horror, no pictures. None. No client, but I had a couple of really nice shots I wanted. I checked my camera settings, and there were indeed card 1 -> card 2 for overflow.

Wait, I had thumbnails and checked images yesterday! The main card had been switched to "lock" somehow. I grabbed card 2 and indeed all the photos were there.

Given the K3 won't work if there is not card in slot 1, I was pleasantly surprised that it was smart enough to roll over to the other card if it the first one was locked. *whew!*

03-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I was up early, so I decided to start processing my photos from yesterday before heading out again today. I pulled the main card and to my horror, no pictures. None. No client, but I had a couple of really nice shots I wanted. I checked my camera settings, and there were indeed card 1 -> card 2 for overflow.

Wait, I had thumbnails and checked images yesterday! The main card had been switched to "lock" somehow. I grabbed card 2 and indeed all the photos were there.

Given the K3 won't work if there is not card in slot 1, I was pleasantly surprised that it was smart enough to roll over to the other card if it the first one was locked. *whew!*
You say that the K-3 does not work without a card in slot 1. Mine does...
03-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe they fixed that in a firmware update. i haven't tried it in a while.
03-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Given the K3 won't work if there is not card in slot 1...
Like noted before, you may wish to explore this observation further.

Once () I forgot to return my card to slot one (1/DNG --> 2/JPG). The camera had no problem carrying on with my card in slot 2 (2/DNG+JPG). It was a "" moment when discovered. Anyway, no problem.

Cheers... M

03-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have done the same: forgot to replace the card in slot 1 and found my photos on the card in slot 2.
While shooting in HS-C, the K-3 has, on occasion, written a stream of photos to card 2 instead of card 1.
I assume this is an I/O feature to keep things moving while the buffer empties.
If I hadn't eventually filled the first card, I might not have ever checked the second.
Then I would have made a troll-post blaming the camera for my "missing masterpieces".
03-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have done the same: forgot to replace the card in slot 1 and found my photos on the card in slot 2.
While shooting in HS-C, the K-3 has, on occasion, written a stream of photos to card 2 instead of card 1.
I assume this is an I/O feature to keep things moving while the buffer empties.
If I hadn't eventually filled the first card, I might not have ever checked the second.
Then I would have made a troll-post blaming the camera for my "missing masterpieces".
I've encountered this as well. (And just confirmed that mine does indeed work fine if there is a card only in slot-2). For these reasons I've actually started connecting the cam via the USB3 port so that both cards show up on my laptop and I can just import all at once, or at least one right after another. (Plus it's wicked fast) There's definitely an organizational and mental "heads-up" that needs to happen simply having 2 slot options now.
03-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine shoots fine with no card in slot 1 now. First thing I did was verify is was set to overflow to slot 2 and left it there, so either they fixed it or mine hiccuped when I first got it. I wasn't used to having two slots and left my #1 card in my computer the next time I took it out. At the time I thought it was dumb programming but was thrilled to have a back-up card slot when my memory fails. (As it seems to do so often.)