Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr and the K-3

So I have noticed a few weird things with Flickr and the Pentax K-3.

Like the camera doesn't seem to show up under Ricoh or Pentax in the Camera Finder?.

Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax

Flickr: Camera Finder: Ricoh

And today they have updated the Flickr Exif Info, and have new images and pictures for various parts of the EXIF, and Unlike the K-7 or Canon DSLR's, The K-3 icon of the camera looks very different and looks like a compact camera icon, although It is listed as Ricoh IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. Pentax K-3.

Has anyone else noticed or have any ideas on what and why Flickr have done to bastardize the K-3?

03-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flickr doesn't know what a K-3 is (yet). So it's simply displaying the name listed in the EXIF, and showing pictures of the Ricoh cameras they DO have in their lists, which are all compacts. There's no K-50 or K-500 in the Finder either.

It took them months (over a year?) to add the last round of Pentax DSLRs to the finder. They'll get around to it eventually.
03-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Flickr doesn't know what a K-3 is (yet). So it's simply displaying the name listed in the EXIF, and showing pictures of the Ricoh cameras they DO have in their lists, which are all compacts. There's no K-50 or K-500 in the Finder either.

It took them months (over a year?) to add the last round of Pentax DSLRs to the finder. They'll get around to it eventually.
Thanks, yeah that likely makes sense, although I notice Nikon DF and D5300 have already been added for example, so I guess it's just the truly lacking abilities of Flickr and Yahoo, which doesn't surprise me these days.
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This issue was brought to the attention of both Ricoh and Flickr some time ago. If it is any consolation, the Sony a7R gets similar treatment. On the CameraFinder page there is no photo and the a7R is identified as a "Point and Shoot".

Steve

---------- Post added 03-10-14 at 03:31 PM ----------

As a point of interest, I was surprised to see the K10D in the top five for Pentax cameras on Flickr. That is not too bad for a camera that went out of production six years ago. The competing Nikon D80 is 12th on the Nikon list.

03-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[/COLOR]As a point of interest, I was surprised to see the K10D in the top five for Pentax cameras on Flickr. That is not too bad for a camera that went out of production six years ago. The competing Nikon D80 is 12th on the Nikon list.
That might not be good for Pentax/Ricoh as it shows that Pentax DSLR users stick to their cameras for a lot longer than Nikon which leads to less new cameras bought which leads to less money for R&D, new product production and marketing etc.

It is not 100% the only reasoning but it does make sense. The Pentax cameras are too good for their own good :/
03-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Maybe pentax wants us to buy glass instead of cameras? It seems to be the better route to me, that's probably why I haven't gotten a K-3 yet.
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

As a point of interest, I was surprised to see the K10D in the top five for Pentax cameras on Flickr. That is not too bad for a camera that went out of production six years ago. The competing Nikon D80 is 12th on the Nikon list.
------------------------------------------

Providing you give it enough light, the K10D still takes great shots, IMO.

Rite ..

03-10-2014, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
------------------------------------------

Providing you give it enough light, the K10D still takes great shots, IMO.

Rite ..
I am doing my best to keep the K10D count on Flickr healthy.

Steve