Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #331

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chuckp8 Quote
Hey, has anyone noticed this happening on the K3 Silver edition?
Well it happened to me with the Silver addition. I was taking 5 image exposure shots and it started flapping.

06-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #332

Software (not firmware!) update for K3 mirror flopping

Hi Ofer,

please read my quote #322....it looks like that they can't fix K3 mirror flopping via firmware.....I had to send my camera to their service partner for an software update a there days ago....now waiting to get my K3 back....

So let's cross our fingers, that this really solves the mirror flopping issue (although it will be fairly hard to check, flopping happened to me only twice)....

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Agreed. I've been following this thread closely, even though I do not own a K-3. This problem has plagued the original K-5, the K-r, and now the K-3. I'm glad to see that the reports for the K-3, at least, are being documented carefully.
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Twino4u Quote
Hi Ofer,

please read my quote #322....it looks like that they can't fix K3 mirror flopping via firmware.....I had to send my camera to their service partner for an software update a there days ago....now waiting to get my K3 back....

So let's cross our fingers, that this really solves the mirror flopping issue (although it will be fairly hard to check, flopping happened to me only twice)....
Hi, Twino4u... Yes, I agree. My K-r had to go in for service. It (eventually) got fixed, but they had to replace the aperture mechanism. I still suspect that some faulty electronics have been plaguing all of these models, and the K-3 just happens to have provided the high-$ motivation to make some noise here.
06-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #334
Veteran Member

Just had a report of a K-50 mirror flop, too... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/265278-pentax-k50-mirror-flopping.html

Edit: Doesn't look like the same issue. Nothing to see here.

Last edited by ofer4; 06-09-2014 at 06:51 PM.
06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That looks nothing like what I experienced (twice).
06-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That looks nothing like what I experienced (twice).
Agreed... I hadn't actually watched the video until now. Sorry!
06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #337
Veteran Member

It (eventually) got fixed, but they had to replace the aperture mechanism.
Isn't the aperture in the lens?

06-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Isn't the aperture in the lens?
It was the aperture control mechanism. I just got a little sloppy with my language. For an interesting video (from CRIS) about replacing one, see here:

Anyway, I've taken this thread off-track. I'll be quiet now.
06-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #339
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed... I hadn't actually watched the video until now. Sorry!
I'm glad you brought it up. Lots of people think the mirror-flop started with some K-5 and K-r bodies, and continues with the K-3. The symptoms are quite different and the cause is likely different too.
06-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad you brought it up. Lots of people think the mirror-flop started with some K-5 and K-r bodies, and continues with the K-3. The symptoms are quite different and the cause is likely different too.
as far as I'm aware the k5 flop was a direct result of the motor being out of sync curtain to shutter usually sue to wear.

The k3 having seperate motors for this function cannot possibly flop for the same reason so I agree with you
06-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Hi, Dan. While the cause may be different, the symptoms are exactly the same as what I saw with my K-r. (They just happen to differ from the K-50 poster's symptoms.) Personally, I think that the cause is the same, but I would be gladly proven wrong. Regardless, it stinks that this issue has appeared in several models now.
06-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #342

K3 mirror flopping repaired

Hi Ofer

received today after 2 working days my K3 back from the repair shop. Repair documents state "firmware installed (was before already/after repair 1.03), camera checked, mirror mechanics repaired".

So I my cross fingers that my K3 want flop hopefully anymore ;-)

Twino4u

Hi, Twino4u... Yes, I agree. My K-r had to go in for service. It (eventually) got fixed, but they had to replace the aperture mechanism. I still suspect that some faulty electronics have been plaguing all of these models, and the K-3 just happens to have provided the high-$ motivation to make some noise here.
06-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, Dan. While the cause may be different, the symptoms are exactly the same as what I saw with my K-r. (They just happen to differ from the K-50 poster's symptoms.) Personally, I think that the cause is the same, but I would be gladly proven wrong. Regardless, it stinks that this issue has appeared in several models now.
It would be a fairly large coincidence that this issue seems to be shared with other models of Pentax DSLRs to varying degrees but not some relational cause to why it happens. It may not be the exact same problem, but it's nothing less than odd that it has plagued Pentax alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Twino4u Quote
received today after 2 working days my K3 back from the repair shop. Repair documents state "firmware installed (was before already/after repair 1.03), camera checked, mirror mechanics repaired".
Twino4u and I have been in touch by email and I'm trying to get confirmation from Pentax/Ricoh USA that his experience with the repair center in Germany/Austria is something we are going to see more globally... that indeed a fix has been found for the mirror-flapping.
06-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
It would be a fairly large coincidence that this issue seems to be shared with other models of Pentax DSLRs to varying degrees but not some relational cause to why it happens. It may not be the exact same problem, but it's nothing less than odd that it has plagued Pentax alone.

enjoy

And a d800 that that 'fixed' doesn't re-seat mirror (flop)
http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1956/d800-mirror-gets-stuck-and-view...mes-blurred/p1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buddymcbride/14153634101/#sthash.6U8Nacu0.dpuf

you sometimes have wonder if the cure is worse than the symptom?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/eos_5d_mirror_repair.do

"Canon has learned that in rare occurrences the main mirror of some EOS 5D digital SLR cameras may fall off"
You sometime just have to smile !
At least it won't flop when it's sat on the floor with you camera in your hand

Last edited by awaldram; 06-11-2014 at 07:45 AM.
06-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very interesting. Of course, I think it also proves you wrong as well, with your battery assumption. LOL

Just goes to show that not everyone knows everything. You and me included. :P