Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #451

DRabbit.

Thank you for your time & effort, on behalf of all K-3 owners (& almost owners still waiting in the wings, like me ...).

I know this took a lot of your time to work with Ricoh/Pentax. I, for one, -really- appreciate your approach & efforts.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

06-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #452
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Many companies don't publicly admit there's a problem until they have a fix, Apple being the most noticeable. The issue for the company is, how do you keep confidence in your brand while your engineering people come up with a fix. From a consumer standpoint, they don't care about the brand, they just want their camera to work. Customers and manufacturers have different agendas.

Personally, my take is given what you do, Pentax should just give you your money back and take back the cameras. It's not suited to what you do, in it's current incarnation.
But, camera companies , car companies etc. never do what I say they should do, so don't hold your breath. I'm a little concerned about Pentax's approach to this... if you were part of the loop on trouble shooting this problem, you should have been paid for your time. I guess a bit of forum credibility is all you're going to get, although a couple of properly functioning cameras would be nice. They could at least use your cameras for a test run of the update software, since you seem to be such a willing tester. Maybe they'll put you one the list of people who get to pre-test new models.

Maybe next time their's supposed to be a forum give away, Adam can just send something your way... but hey... like I said, nothing ever happens the way I think it should...
They did return my money. They also gave me a K5-II loaner for a long period of time. They replaced an out of warranty lens with SDM failure. They fixed my older original K5 for free. The article I wrote up about the issue, I was clear to say that Pentax took care of me... I never had a gripe with the treatment I got from Pentax personally. None of this was ever about me being an unhappy customer, it was about tracking down the issue and seeing it get addressed and resolved.

I did get a couple of properly functioning cameras. Not K3 bodies, but two K5-IIs bodies. When I got my money back for the second K3, that's what I bought instead. My point all along has simply been, shouldn't the K3 perform at least as well at the K5-II or K5-IIs? I know I'd like it to. We should all expect it to. Not unreasonable.

QuoteOriginally posted by WestCoastGuy Quote
DRabbit.

Thank you for your time & effort, on behalf of all K-3 owners (& almost owners still waiting in the wings, like me ...).

I know this took a lot of your time to work with Ricoh/Pentax. I, for one, -really- appreciate your approach & efforts.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thanks!
06-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #453
Site Supporter

Mirror flap

I purchased in November, camera body4830350. I have experienced the mirror flap three times. The shooting conditions and settings vary but in each case the battery was very low. I halted the runaway by removing the battery.

Mitch Tillison
Albuquerque
07-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #454

Just had my first Lockup/Flapping and stopped it also by removing the battery.

Conditions:

Battery was full bars (75%-90% really) charged last week but not used much. Have had my K3 since April without issue. The only change was that This time I shot in Green Mode as I needed to quickly get some various shots with shutter-button focus. Normally I stoot in Manual and have shutter-button focus disabled.

So I am not sure if MODE plays a part in it as well? This camera has 3000+ shots and the battery is well broken in I'd say.

FW: v 1.03
MODE: Green
Battery: 1 in unit, no grip.
First occurrence for me.
SN: 4842347

It is an irritating glitch that would be embarrassing on a pro-shoot I can imagine. But the K3 was the only Camera on the market that met all my needs and price range.

Last edited by Scotchman; 07-02-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added Serial Number
07-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #455
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K3 Crazy Mirror Sickness (Mirror Flapping Lockup) - Report Yours Here!

Scotchman... I'll add your name to the list tonight when I'm home... Sorry you ran into the problem. Do you mind sharing your serial number?

Mode doesn't seem to play a roll. I often had it happen in manual mode and aperture priority (M and AV) mode.
07-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #456

Started testing the time lapse function yesterday. Had no problems when I did only a couple of hundred frames, but today I've had the mirror flapping approximately 40 minutes into a 2000 frames every 2 seconds shoot. Twice.
07-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #457

Just curious... anyone heard yet of a fix for the mirror-flap issue being available in Canada yet? I was thinking of picking up a K-3 at the end of the month for a trip I'm taking.
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #458
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update 7/10/14
Firmware version 1.10 is now available. There was a rumor that firmware released in July would includes a fix for the mirror-flapping problem. There is no specific mention of this, or indication that mirror-flapping/crazy-mirror/runaway-mirror/mirror-overrun has been addressed with firmware 1.10, at least according to the Ricoh/Pentax website. "Improved stability for general performance" may or may not include the mirror-flapping problem. Without significant testing, or official word from Ricoh/Pentax, there's just no way to know at this point.

Ricoh has still indicated that they will fix/reduce the problem for people who run into it, but you have to send the camera into their repair center for this to take place. This has been confirmed by Ricoh/Pentax themselves. See this post and subsequent replies for more information.

07-10-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #459
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Update 7/10/14
Firmware version 1.10 is now available. There was a rumor that firmware released in July would includes a fix for the mirror-flapping problem. There is no specific mention of this, or indication that mirror-flapping/crazy-mirror/runaway-mirror/mirror-overrun has been addressed with firmware 1.10, at least according to the Ricoh/Pentax website. "Improved stability for general performance" may or may not include the mirror-flapping problem. Without significant testing, or official word from Ricoh/Pentax, there's just no way to know at this point.

Ricoh has still indicated that they will fix/reduce the problem for people who run into it, but you have to send the camera into their repair center for this to take place. This has been confirmed by Ricoh/Pentax themselves. See this post and subsequent replies for more information.
Well, with the 1.10 firmware and a mirror-flop "fix" from C.R.I.S., I guess I have the problem on hold with both belt and suspenders. I will, and I hope everyone will, advise if my camera ever goes into runaway mirror mode again. I trust it will not - but one never knows.

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 07-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.
07-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #460

Took me some tries to figure this out but you have to turn on the camera WHILE ALSO holding down the menu button. Friendly reminder.
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #461
Forum Member

Did anyone tried if the new firmware resolve the problem with the mirror? I am curious if I should give back the k-3 to the service for inspection. It happened to me 3 times, conditions varied, all on v.1.03 firmware.
07-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #462

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
150 reported cameras out of circa 115000 produced, means the probability of having this specific defect is 0.001.
Even if the number of defective cameras is doubled, it is still only 0.003.
Let's even say it is 5x bigger a problem that what we know, the defect is 0.007.

Say the threshold of recalling the entire production is 5% of affected cameras. In this specific problem, you'd need to have ~40x more cases that what we have to base such a demand.

Benard Shaw- obviously you are still stuck in the last century. Modern statistical process control mandates near six sigma (99.9999%) perfect products in today's market expectations. How would you feel if there was a .003 chance that your airplane that you are riding in will fall out of the sky?

---------- Post added 07-11-14 at 11:59 AM ----------

Gzub, I installed new firmware last night. I have not experienced the shutter fluttering but have had some shutdowns. Hopefully this firmware will at least help with that.
07-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #463

QuoteOriginally posted by gzub Quote
Did anyone tried if the new firmware resolve the problem with the mirror? I am curious if I should give back the k-3 to the service for inspection. It happened to me 3 times, conditions varied, all on v.1.03 firmware.
Your question should be, has anyone run into the mirror flop issue AFTER installing firmware 1.10. So far after only 2 days and 78 shots, I have not. I think you should wait until after this Pentax World Weekend (starts today for me!) and you'll have some real results.

UPDATE 7/16 - 1 Week and No Issues Yet

Last edited by airjames; 07-16-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Updates on Firmware Usage Thus Far
07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #464
Site Supporter

K, haven't installed the new firmware. Have had 3 episodes; each started in a handheld single shot session on Tv with a battery grip attached. Turning the power off didn't stop it. Power 1/3rd or more. #4937450. Pretty peeved as power has to be husbanded carefully where I am.

---------- Post added 07-17-14 at 09:17 AM ----------

Would someone be kind enough to add any fix suggestions apart from firmware as a sticky ? I'm on very limited internetivity.
07-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #465
Site Supporter

1.10 installed. No mirror flap, but the other irritation another lock-up has just occurred. This time I was only looking at image by image on playback. Switching off did fix it, only taking the battery out worked. All OK after this.

This is minor, but I guess it shows that 1.10 is not yet entirely stable.