Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #691
Pentaxian

That is nice to know. If this is the case i will strongly consider the K-3 as an option...it seems that the premium to pay in chosing it over the new K-S2 would be rather small.

Even if, for my needs the K-S2 would be more than enough (and both are lightyears ahead of my k200d...)

02-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #692
Veteran Member

I was replacing the K200D by a K-3. You will not regret it, it's such an upgrade!
02-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #693
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Who knows. It can't be that good but I have never heard of anyone having a mechanical problem following an occurence of the runaway mirror.

Plus it would seem that the latest firmware mitigates the problem. Finally if ever it happens, one should send the camera for repair.
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
If I understand correctly, with the latest firmware, the camera will detect the condition very quickly and perform a reset. If you were in the middle of shooting a volley of shots, you might loose a few, and your shooting will be interrupted for a second or so, but I don't think there's any danger to the camera itself, since the mirror will only flap a few times before reset. I think this happened to me once since I got the K-3 (a little over 3k actuations). Basically the camera stopped in the middle of a voley (at continuous medium), vibrated a little, performed a kind of reset, and I got one corrupted JPG and some not taken shots. I don't think it's something to worry about much, personally, on what is otherwise a rugged, reliable camera...
I just sent my K-3 in at the behest of and at the expense of RICOH. I spoke with a RICOH CS after the Pentax CS nonchalantly fobbed me off to PCR in Colorado at MY EXPENSE. The Ricoh CS stated unequivocally that the public firmware does not address this issue. He stated that the firmware that is not available to the general public is only available to PCR. During the course of the conversation, he urged me to send it in, providing me with a UPS shipping label and assurance that the repair would be made at no cost to me. My camera is out of warranty. I was up front with him about that issue, but he could probably tell that from the serial number. Now, don't ask me what the difference is between the two CS reps. All I know is I dealt with the Pentax guy through email, wrote a nastygram about the whole affair of them wanting me to pay for a known fault, and that I smelled kickbacks and fraud because PCR is the only repair facility and it's charging exorbitantly for something that SHOULD be taken care of through a recall instead of being swept under the carpet and hoping it goes away. I got a phone call that very evening from Dale. That's how I got plugged into the Ricoh end. The camera is going to Enfield, CT -- not Colorado.
02-13-2015, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #694
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
... The Ricoh CS stated unequivocally that the public firmware does not address this issue. He stated that the firmware that is not available to the general public is only available to PCR. ...
Different people have been told different things. However, it's pretty obvious to me that FW1.11, while it does not fix the issue, does address it, as per the (admittedly cryptic) release notes: "Added automatic reset function when detecting rarely occur abnormal motion of the sequence. (When automatic reset function is operated, latest setting will be reset)".

The existence of an actual fix via a non-publicly available FW update is certainly possible, but personally as long at the mirror doesn't keep flapping indefinitely when it happens, and if the problem remains totally infrequent, I'm unlikely to send my K-3 in for a repair. I'd rather be out shooting with the camera than spend several weeks without it!

02-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The existence of an actual fix via a non-publicly available FW update is certainly possible, but personally as long at the mirror doesn't keep flapping indefinitely when it happens, and if the problem remains totally infrequent, I'm unlikely to send my K-3 in for a repair. I'd rather be out shooting with the camera than spend several weeks without it!
Just a data point: I mailed my K-3 (with mirror flap) on a Thursday and got it back the next Wednesday, which is remarkably fast turnaround.

YMMV

Michael
02-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #696
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
You are essentially correct.
He is essentially incorrect, but it is an attractive conjecture. The truth is that a re-flash of the mirror controller board is an effective fix and has nothing to do with voltage drop. Ricoh has provided a solution and many, many people who frequent this forum have taken advantage of it.

Steve
02-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #697
Veteran Member

Has anyone with a 60******* or higher SN had mirror flap? Just curious. According to the K3 SN database, no has had mirror flop, so that's not really helpful.

02-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #698
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the K-3 on Oct 31/13 and had two mirror flop incidents in 2014. I sent it for repair after the first incident, service was unable to fix it. I didn't bother sending it in after the second incident because by then the problem was known but there was no fix. Two days ago I had a third incident. As in previous instances, it coincided with a very low battery powering the camera. Unlike previous episodes, the mirror flop was short-lived, only flapping a few times. It created a file that LR couldn't view. I assume this was the updated camera firmware doing its job.

I telephoned Sun Camera yesterday, the new service contractor for Ricoh Pentax Canada. The tech assured me they were aware of the problem and the non-user-implementable firmware solution. I have a backup K20D and a Sony a6000. Winter weather, no birds and no upcoming events means it's as good a time as any to be without my main shooter, so I sent it in for repair.

PS The Pentax Canada warranty is two years.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-24-2015 at 08:03 PM.
02-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #699
Veteran Member

Excellent idea...I'll do the same.
02-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #700
Forum Member

I just brought mine into Sun yesterday. Has anyone sent their K3 into them for this problem and gotten it back yet? Do they do a good job?

The guy at the counter said he's not a fan of Ricoh.
02-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
The guy at the counter said he's not a fan of Ricoh.
What do you suppose he meant by that? I'm a big fan of Ricoh, especially after the bad times with Hoya.
02-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What do you suppose he meant by that?
Based on their website's homepage, camera = Canon. Lens = Canon. Flash = Canon.
I'm sure he's not a fan of <insert any brand here other than Canon>.
02-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #703

I am very new to Pentax and this forum. I just ordered a K3 and after that I read this. As far as I know, Pentax has provided a fix since last summer. Does that mean this issue is gone in latest batch?
02-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #704

is there any way i can determine if my new K3 gunmetal edition is free of potential defect from factory? Serial number 2598802. Just checked which firmware it came with and it's 1.11.

Thanks a bunch
02-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #705
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What do you suppose he meant by that? I'm a big fan of Ricoh, especially after the bad times with Hoya.
I am not sure. I don't think it was the equipment, but more the people he has to deal with at Ricoh. Perhaps it's just a learning curve. Ricoh do things differently than Canon. But he did mention the transfer from Ricoh to Sun was more like a dump and run. Not much in the way of training or assistance. More like:

Sun: Sure, we'll take on Pentax service.
Ricoh: Great, but there's a problem with Pentax service.
Sun: What's the problem?
Ricoh: It's your problem. Thanks, bye.