Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
audiobomber, did you send your camera in for repair?
Yes, it was delivered to Sun Camera on Feb 25th for warranty repair. No word so far.

EDIT: They replied to my email: "Thank you for your inquiry Dan. We plan to be shipping it back to you on Monday."

I checked my shutter count. Three mirror flop occurrences in 13,000 images.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-05-2015 at 09:37 PM.
03-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly Want to Check Shutter Count

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
I just purchased a new K3. Serial is 6098206. Camera came with firmware version 1.11.

My local camera store, while employing a great bunch of folks, is not the kind of store where you would expect they would go into stock and update camera firmware before selling. IOW, the only likely scenario is that the store received the camera from Pentax distributor with current firmware already installed.

Is it likely that the "reflash" of the shutter software has already been performed on this camera? Is there any way to tell, other than crossing my fingers and waiting to see if it acts up?

I guess another scenario is that this is a return, and previous purchaser did the update.

I just wanted to mention that if you were curious about what your shutter count may be on the camera, you can check it at Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com using your last recorded image.
03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #723

Not certain if anyone is still tracking this, but my new K3- came with firmware 1.11, Serial is 6098206, shutter count was 1342- just had an occurrence of the "crazy mirror sickness." I was taking photographs of birds, Pentax SMC 200 2.5 MF lens mounted, fully charged Pentax battery installed. The thing did the crazy mirror thing through 15 to 20 cycles, I think, and then stopped. I was able to continue using the camera normally for the rest of the time I was outside. I guess the firmware fix that is supposed to arrest this condition when in occurs did work.

I am in love with this camera and will not bail. However, I am within the exchange period and am wondering if, in exchanging for a new camera, I am just kicking the problem down the road. I know folks are getting tired of this subject, but, does anyone have any idea if this is a fairly rare problem, or do most cameras suffer from the condition? If chances are good that the replacement camera will suffer from the malady, I will just send this one off for the fix.

Last edited by tennjed; 03-17-2015 at 12:52 AM.
03-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #724
Veteran Member

Tennjed, as long as your K-3 is otherwise a good one, I would get it repaired. If you get a replacement, you may end up with the same issue. If you get the firmware flash, at least you'll be sure it's done.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-17-2015 at 03:59 AM.
03-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #725
Forum Member

Anyone needing to check your shutter count and or manufacture date can do it right here on this very website.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I just wanted to mention that if you were curious about what your shutter count may be on the camera, you can check it at Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com using your last recorded image.
03-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #726
Pentaxian

Shutter Count, Customer Service

Not certain if anyone is still tracking this, but my new K3- came with firmware 1.11, Serial is 6098206, shutter count was 1342- just had an occurrence of the "crazy mirror sickness." I was taking photographs of birds, Pentax SMC 200 2.5 MF lens mounted, fully charged Pentax battery installed. The thing did the crazy mirror thing through 15 to 20 cycles, I think, and then stopped. I was able to continue using the camera normally for the rest of the time I was outside. I guess the firmware fix that is supposed to arrest this condition when in occurs did work.

I am in love with this camera and will not bail. However, I am within the exchange period and am wondering if, in exchanging for a new camera, I am just kicking the problem down the road. I know folks are getting tired of this subject, but, does anyone have any idea if this is a fairly rare problem, or do most cameras suffer from the condition? If chances are good that the replacement camera will suffer from the malady, I will just send this one off for the fix.

If your shutter count was the 1342 count prior to your shooting, you might want to inquire about why. I have had a new camera that had below 100 (well below) and others that had low counts. I had a K20D that did some mirror flapping, I used to have to turn it off, or if necessary take the battery out and restart it to get it to stop. It was not persistent though, so I never complained and kept the camera. I have had two K5s and a K5IIS and they have never done it. On the other hand, if your mirror flapping issue continues with your K3, supposedly confiding with Pentax Customer Service 1-800-877-0155 would most likely be a sensible move. They are very helpful and would most likely tell you the wisest next step to take.
03-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #727
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, I am within the exchange period and am wondering if, in exchanging for a new camera, I am just kicking the problem down the road.
Conventional wisdom is to do the exchange. That pretty much insures that the camera will route back to Ricoh and be part of their quality assurance loop. There is no reason to keep a camera that is defective.

Steve

03-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #728
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

does anyone have any idea if this is a fairly rare problem, or do most cameras suffer from the condition?
Very rare, particularly since this last summer. That being said, your concern that a replacement body would have the same problem is valid. The problem with sending it in for repair is that Ricoh/Pentax is not in the loop for the warranty repair process except to pay the bill. This is a major fail for Ricoh. In my opinion, all warranty repairs should have a corresponding customer service tag # with the cause for repair along with serial numbers routed back through their QA process.

Steve
03-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #729

The shutter count I gave for my camera- 1342- is the count just after the "floppy mirror" incident. Based on how long I have had, and used, the camera, I would say that it is an indication I am the original owner.

I did call a couple of numbers today. Well after 9:00 this morning I called Precision Camera as I was directed there by the Ricoh web page. I let the phone ring for a couple minutes. No answer or answering machine. I then went back to the web page and found a second number. On calling it, a helpful individual at Ricoh picked up the phone, stated that the problem was familiar to them, and then told me he would have to request "corporate" approve a shipping label for me. He verified my Email address and warned me that the label may be Emailed to me today, or it might take a couple of days......I guess it is going to take a couple of days.

Strangely enough, when I called my retailer about the possibility of exchanging the K3, they stated they did not have any cameras in stock, but did have some on order. No estimate on delivery. I note the B&H has just reduced the K3 price again. I wonder if we are seeing the end of K3 production.

Best regards,
03-17-2015, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #730
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wonder if we are seeing the end of K3 production.
Nope...bad weather and labor disputes...

Steve
03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #731
Pentaxian

Good Move

The shutter count I gave for my camera- 1342- is the count just after the "floppy mirror" incident. Based on how long I have had, and used, the camera, I would say that it is an indication I am the original owner.

I did call a couple of numbers today. Well after 9:00 this morning I called Precision Camera as I was directed there by the Ricoh web page. I let the phone ring for a couple minutes. No answer or answering machine. I then went back to the web page and found a second number. On calling it, a helpful individual at Ricoh picked up the phone, stated that the problem was familiar to them, and then told me he would have to request "corporate" approve a shipping label for me. He verified my Email address and warned me that the label may be Emailed to me today, or it might take a couple of days......I guess it is going to take a couple of days.

Strangely enough, when I called my retailer about the possibility of exchanging the K3, they stated they did not have any cameras in stock, but did have some on order. No estimate on delivery. I note the B&H has just reduced the K3 price again. I wonder if we are seeing the end of K3 production.

Best regards,
Contacting Pentax/Ricoh was a very good move. Getting their opinion and advice is a step in the best direction. Not that you have to, but if you got the shutter count for your first, or one of your first few images, that might be more revealing on what the shutter count factor was before you had the incident you mentioned (if you are curious). Being in direct contact with Pentax/Ricoh customer service about the conditions or incidents that may concern you with your camera is the careful and wise route to take. Whenever I buy a camera, I verify that the dealer that I am buying from is an authorized Pentax dealer, so that if any kind of situation comes up where I need advice, I can contact Pentax customer service directly.
03-19-2015, 02:52 AM   #732

Thanks for the comment. I did get the label from Ricoh, and am sending the camera off this morning.
03-19-2015, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
audiobomber, could you let us know when you get it back? I'm curious about turnaround on this issue, given the horror stories that are floating around about warranty service in Canada... If mine starts exhibiting the problem more regularly, I might want to send it in too.
Total time, including shipping both ways via ExpressPost, was sixteen days. (Note that I had to pay for shipping to Sun.)
03-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #734
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had it happen once, and that was with the grip installed and when the camera was apparently trying to swap from the grip to the battery or the battery to the grip for power (I forget which). Haven't had it occur since. I haven't upgraded my firmware yet so I'm still on vanilla 1.0.
03-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #735
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the comment. I did get the label from Ricoh, and am sending the camera off this morning.
They sent you a shipping label? That is extremely cool! I hope this all goes well for you.

Steve