Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #826
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Mine has just started doing it again, after some time.

Date of event: 24/8/2015
K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014 ("unable to recreate fault")
Shutter count: not a lot
Ser No: 4858537 Park Cameras UK
Quality: RAW+JPEG
Memory: two memory cards
Lens: Pentax 16-85
Mode: TAV
Focus: AF
AF button:
SR: off
Firmware: 1.03

The battery was nearly fully charged. The rattling stopped after a few seconds.

Could anyone suggest what I should do?
Upgrade the firmware to version 1.21. This fix stops the problem when it does occurs. You can also send it in for repair.


Last edited by gaweidert; 08-30-2015 at 10:28 AM.
08-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #827
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 393
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Mine has just started doing it again, after some time.

Date of event: 24/8/2015
K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014 ("unable to recreate fault")
Shutter count: not a lot
Ser No: 4858537 Park Cameras UK
Quality: RAW+JPEG
Memory: two memory cards
Lens: Pentax 16-85
Mode: TAV
Focus: AF
AF button:
SR: off
Firmware: 1.03

The battery was nearly fully charged. The rattling stopped after a few seconds.

Could anyone suggest what I should do?
Of course JP Service could not replicate the problem! It's RANDOM. I had mine fixed by C.R.I.S. in Arizona over a year ago and have not had one recurrence of the mirror flap problem since then. There is a specific programming fix on a particular circuit that controls the voltage to the mirror mechanism. Once this is done, there should be no problem, and any Pentax repair facility should be aware what the cure is. The latest user-installable firmware simply arrests the flapping when it occurs; it does not prevent it. It's not a "fix," it's a band-aid.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
08-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #828
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 348
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Mine has just started doing it again, after some time.

Date of event: 24/8/2015
K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014 ("unable to recreate fault")
Shutter count: not a lot
Ser No: 4858537 Park Cameras UK
Quality: RAW+JPEG
Memory: two memory cards
Lens: Pentax 16-85
Mode: TAV
Focus: AF
AF button:
SR: off
Firmware: 1.03

The battery was nearly fully charged. The rattling stopped after a few seconds.

Could anyone suggest what I should do?
Hi Peter, just update to the latest firmware.... I think the fix occurred after version 1.11, as I recall. I had the problem with 1.03 a few times, since then and thousands of shots later, the new firmware handles the problem and the user hardly notices there's been a glitch. Therefore zero problem for me.
08-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #829
Site Supporter
Dougg's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Washington
Photos: Albums
Posts: 251
Probably wise to get the official Pentax repair while the camera is under warranty...

Best, Doug

08-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #830
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Posts: 460
Thank you all - just updated it. No news will be good news

I have just phoned Park Cameras and based on "K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014" it is OUT of warranty.
08-26-2015, 03:54 AM   #831
Pentaxian
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Thank you all - just updated it. No news will be good news

I have just phoned Park Cameras and based on "K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014" it is OUT of warranty.
Buy from a Pentax Pro dealership next time 2 year warranty as standard.

I'm surprised Park aren't and only offer the standard 12 months

Service Support Centre - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
08-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #832
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,028
Well I hope they've addressed this issue not to come out on the k-3II. I ordered one and it's coming this September.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 08-26-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
09-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #833
New Member




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
mirror flutter

I too am a victim. I received the k3 in October 2014 and the mirror issue has happened twice.

10-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #834
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,149
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
So far, the issue seems to have been reported in serial numbers ranging anywhere from:482XXXX to 493XXXX (black bodies)
and
2573XXX to 2578XXX (silver bodies)
I am just trying to convince myself to buy a K3 (not a K3II) and was wondering if the aforementioned numbers are the only ones to worry about?
I know this thread is getting "old" but I thought it would be a good idea to check, anyway.

JP
10-07-2015, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #835
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,003
This issue is now largely sidestepped by the limitation on the error made by recent firmware upgrades. I have had it a couple of times but recognise it immediately and quickly move beyond the issue by camera restart or battery ejection with no real loss of picture taking opportunity.

Get the camera cos it is great!
10-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #836
Site Supporter
Dougg's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Washington
Photos: Albums
Posts: 251
Even if done out of the warranty, I expect the official repair would be done a nominal cost, since it's a simple application of a software fix. Very quick turnaround too.
10-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #837
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,149
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am just trying to convince myself to buy a K3 (not a K3II) and was wondering if the aforementioned numbers are the only ones to worry about?
I know this thread is getting "old" but I thought it would be a good idea to check, anyway.

JP
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
This issue is now largely sidestepped by the limitation on the error made by recent firmware upgrades. I have had it a couple of times but recognise it immediately and quickly move beyond the issue by camera restart or battery ejection with no real loss of picture taking opportunity.

Get the camera cos it is great!
QuoteOriginally posted by Dougg Quote
Even if done out of the warranty, I expect the official repair would be done a nominal cost, since it's a simple application of a software fix. Very quick turnaround too.
So I suppose I could always request that the camera doesn't fall in the "bad" serial numbers?
And that the firmware is V1.21 ?

Thanks!
10-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #838
New Member
ijimenez's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9
K-3 mirror flop / shutter issue

*SIGH*

This is the first time this happened to me. K-3 body with grip accessory. Camera set to manual function & single frame shooting. In the middle of shooting it locked up on firing the shutter in rapid succession (machine gun). I had to turn the camera off, then back on to gain control of normal camera function. I think this happened when the camera switched from the low battery in the grip to the battery in the camera body. This happened with firmware 1.03. I removed the grip, and flashed the K-3 firmware to 1.21. I hope this won't happen again, especially in front of other photographers.
10-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #839
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,220
QuoteOriginally posted by ijimenez Quote
*SIGH*

This is the first time this happened to me. K-3 body with grip accessory. Camera set to manual function & single frame shooting. In the middle of shooting it locked up on firing the shutter in rapid succession (machine gun). I had to turn the camera off, then back on to gain control of normal camera function. I think this happened when the camera switched from the low battery in the grip to the battery in the camera body. This happened with firmware 1.03. I removed the grip, and flashed the K-3 firmware to 1.21. I hope this won't happen again, especially in front of other photographers.
With 1.21 it may still happen, but it will be stopped in its tracks almost instantly.
10-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #840
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by ijimenez Quote
*SIGH*
I hope this won't happen again, especially in front of other photographers.
First, what do you care what other photographers think? And, of course, *none* of those other photographers have ever had issues with their cameras. Nothing like oil spots on the sensor, or using a toxic chemical on a rubber viewfinder, or anything like that which is much worse than a flapping shutter. Oh, wait.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, batteries, battery, body, camera, conclusion, crazy-ass mirror sickness, dslr, frame, grip, issue, k-3, k3, kiss, mirror, mirror sickness mirror, pentax, pentax k-3, post, shots, sickness, temperature, time, time lapse, view, voltage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 failure - couldn't stop the mirror flapping up and down Photodana Pentax K-3 26 06-11-2014 03:19 PM
Help - Pentax K2 Mirror Lockup replacement barbosas Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 11-06-2013 08:09 AM
Mirror lockup O'Brien 860 Pentax K-30 & K-50 23 07-14-2013 05:16 PM
Pentax MX mirror lockup lever mod? asaru Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 12-24-2012 07:45 AM
mirror lockup Andrew Crouch Pentax K-5 5 12-13-2012 04:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top