Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #871
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,285
QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
The ad hominem attacks appearing in this forum are neither appreciated or productive. As it was, shortly after the release and purchase of the K-3, Pentax denied there was a problem (told me they hadn't heard of it) and had no "cure". After all, why would they have a cure for something they claimed they didn't believe existed?

I posted my opinion of the product and didn't expect a hash of recriminations for it. What I DID expect (but didn't get) was an answer to my question about whether there had been a recall by Pentax for a range of serial #'s in the K-3 and if this recall was independent of the "warranty" period.
If my response came across as an attack or an attempt at recrimination, I think it was mis-read (I've mis-read replies here before, I know it can happen) - and, FWIW, I saw no other replies that were like that (really, I didn't). For my part, I was actually trying to be helpful. Alas, I can't help with your recall / outside-of-warranty question, I'm afraid, otherwise I'd have responded in the way you expected. Hey, all I want is for you to be enjoying your camera and photography, and it just seemed to me like Pentax had been a thorn in your side since last year.

As I said before, I hope you get your issue sorted or find a brand you're happier with.


Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2015 at 05:28 PM.
12-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #872
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 371
QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
What I DID expect (but didn't get) was an answer to my question about whether there had been a recall by Pentax for a range of serial #'s in the K-3 and if this recall was independent of the "warranty" period.
The K-3ii is subject to a serial number based recall for a hardware fault. The K-3 is not.

If your flapping issue has resulted in secondary damage to working mechanisms, you have a clear cut case for a warranty remedy. If the warranty period has expired it might be harder to make a claim but you should still argue the case, particularly if you have evidence the fault occurred within the warranty period, i.e. EXIF data from affected images.
12-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #873
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,880
QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
I posted my opinion of the product and didn't expect a hash of recriminations for it. What I DID expect (but didn't get) was an answer to my question about whether there had been a recall by Pentax for a range of serial #'s in the K-3 and if this recall was independent of the "warranty" period.
To the best of my knowledge the answer was and continues to be no (see above). Ricoh has not offered out-of-warranty service or replacement for any known K-3 issue nor have they offered an in-warranty service remedy for any issue based on serial number range*. If you need a more direct and authoritative answer, Ricoh/Pentax support would be your best source of information (see above for toll-free number).


Steve

* If they had, I would have been first in line with my symptom-free-but-still-under-extended-warranty camera.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2015 at 05:49 PM.
12-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #874
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
As it was, shortly after the release and purchase of the K-3, Pentax denied there was a problem (told me they hadn't heard of it) and had no "cure".
I got this from them as well for many months. Then all of a sudden they said to bring it in for a re-flash. However, they never admitted to me that there was an actual problem. I was told 'Well, let's re-flash it. Maybe it got corrupted the first time' or something much to that effect. That was Ricoh USA and I had to take to a 3rd party service provider here in Canada (no Ricoh service presence in this country). I was told by the technician that did the job that there indeed was a new firmware distributed to them for the re-flash, but they were asked my Ricoh not to tell customers that it was new. He was ex-Pentax and said he hated working with Ricoh. I do not know what, if any, of this is true, or just the technician's sour-grapes rambling, but I have not had the issue since the re-flash.

02-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #875
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,151
I know that I am late for this thread but I can't find the "bad" serial numbers to avoid when I place my order later today (too many pages ! )
Can someone direct me where this is ?
Thanks !!

JP
Edit: I did find (in the fist page of this thread) the first series of serial numbers to avoid, but are there more?
Also, is there a sure way to test the camera for the "syndrome" once I have it in my hands?

Last edited by jpzk; 02-04-2016 at 02:59 PM.
02-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #876
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater Montreal Area
Posts: 736
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I know that I am late for this thread but I can't find the "bad" serial numbers to avoid when I place my order later today (too many pages ! )
Can someone direct me where this is ?
Thanks !!

JP
Edit: I did find (in the fist page of this thread) the first series of serial numbers to avoid, but are there more?
Also, is there a sure way to test the camera for the "syndrome" once I have it in my hands?
For me the problem used to occur when doing movie time lapses. It has discourraged me and I moved on to another device for this purpose.

Even though the latest firmware would stop the craziness, the timelapse would still be ruined.

Hope this helps
02-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #877
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,151
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
For me the problem used to occur when doing movie time lapses. It has discourraged me and I moved on to another device for this purpose.

Even though the latest firmware would stop the craziness, the timelapse would still be ruined.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply, Marc-Antoine.

Well, I am looking for the "bad" serial numbers before I place my order.
As I mentioned earlier, I found some in the first page of this thread but also wondering if there are more.
02-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #878
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater Montreal Area
Posts: 736
Has anyone heard of the feature on the K3 II ?

02-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #879
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,285
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Has anyone heard of the feature on the K3 II ?
I'm sure I recall hearing one report of mirror flap on the K3II, but that's all. I think we can be pretty confident that Ricoh dealt with the issue by now.
02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #880
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,028
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Has anyone heard of the feature on the K3 II ?
There are I think 2 threads regarding the k-3II mirror flap issue. I for one have experienced a mirror flap on my k-3II 3 weeks ago. However, the behavior is different from the k-3. My experience was with a continuous single shot mode when the mirror started flapping as if I was shooting at 8 fps. However, when I released the shutter button, it stopped. It only happened once and didn't occur again. I tortured test the camera the following week and it worked fine. I think all who had experienced the k-3II mirror flap have the same experience; only once and when the shutter button is released it stops.
02-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #881
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,285
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
There are I think 2 threads regarding the k-3II mirror flap issue. I for one have experienced a mirror flap on my k-3II 3 weeks ago. However, the behavior is different from the k-3. My experience was with a continuous single shot mode when the mirror started flapping as if I was shooting at 8 fps. However, when I released the shutter button, it stopped. It only happened once and didn't occur again. I tortured test the camera the following week and it worked fine. I think all who had experienced the k-3II mirror flap have the same experience; only once and when the shutter button is released it stops.
One of the threads is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/308335-k3ii-mirror-flap-when-battery-low.html
02-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #882
Site Supporter
Dougg's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Washington
Photos: Albums
Posts: 251
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
For me the problem used to occur when doing movie time lapses. It has discourraged me and I moved on to another device for this purpose.

Even though the latest firmware would stop the craziness, the timelapse would still be ruined.

Hope this helps
There seems to have been two different ways Ricoh addressed the problem... The firmware update stifled the flap when it occurred but wasn't a full fix. Then they offered a free re-flash of the pROM as a fix for the problem. Clearly the firmware update is satisfactory for most, but there must be a bunch of K-3 out there that haven't received the pROM re-flash.

I was fortunate in being a member of this forum and read about the issue, so when it happened to my camera I recognized what was going on, and it went to Precision within the warranty period and got the fix.

How to tell if a specific used camera has had the re-flash? Don't know, though likely Ricoh (or Precision for USA service) has a record of the service and could say. I'm not confident that one could tell from a serial number list...
02-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #883
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,285
QuoteOriginally posted by Dougg Quote
There seems to have been two different ways Ricoh addressed the problem... The firmware update stifled the flap when it occurred but wasn't a full fix. Then they offered a free re-flash of the pROM as a fix for the problem. Clearly the firmware update is satisfactory for most, but there must be a bunch of K-3 out there that haven't received the pROM re-flash.

I was fortunate in being a member of this forum and read about the issue, so when it happened to my camera I recognized what was going on, and it went to Precision within the warranty period and got the fix.

How to tell if a specific used camera has had the re-flash? Don't know, though likely Ricoh (or Precision for USA service) has a record of the service and could say. I'm not confident that one could tell from a serial number list...
@Dougg - out of interest, is there any difference between the firmware update and pROM re-flash? I assume there must be, otherwise Ricoh would simply have directed people to carry out the downloadable firmware update... But did anyone every quantify the difference between the two solutions? I only had the mirror flap once or twice on my K3 in the entire time I've owned it, so not an issue for me (no more so than glitches with any other technology I own, for sure).
02-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #884
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,151
I didn't know this was also a thread for the K3II.

So .... anyone suggesting more "bad serial numbers" than the ones on page 1 of this thread?

For the K3, of course.

JP
02-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #885
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,285
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I didn't know this was also a thread for the K3II.
You wouldn't have known that, because it's not - but it's quite understandable that it should have come up in this thread, given that the K3II is a revised version of the K3....

---------- Post added 02-05-2016 at 02:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So .... anyone suggesting more "bad serial numbers" than the ones on page 1 of this thread?

For the K3, of course.
No. Not for the K3. The serial number range is well known.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, batteries, battery, body, camera, conclusion, crazy-ass mirror sickness, dslr, frame, grip, issue, k-3, k3, kiss, mirror, mirror sickness mirror, pentax, pentax k-3, post, shots, sickness, temperature, time, time lapse, view, voltage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 failure - couldn't stop the mirror flapping up and down Photodana Pentax K-3 26 06-11-2014 03:19 PM
Help - Pentax K2 Mirror Lockup replacement barbosas Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 11-06-2013 08:09 AM
Mirror lockup O'Brien 860 Pentax K-30 & K-50 23 07-14-2013 05:16 PM
Pentax MX mirror lockup lever mod? asaru Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 12-24-2012 07:45 AM
mirror lockup Andrew Crouch Pentax K-5 5 12-13-2012 04:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top