Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You wouldn't have known that, because it's not - but it's quite understandable that it should have come up in this thread, given that the K3II is a revised version of the K3....

---------- Post added 02-05-2016 at 02:09 AM ----------

No. Not for the K3. The serial number range is well known.
Thanks !
I just have to check with the shop to make sure when ordering.

Edit: received and tested the K3 (only 100 images so far); serial number is not within the "danger zone".
Let's hope for the best.

Last edited by jpzk; 03-02-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added info
03-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #887
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Happened to me for the 2nd time yesterday. The first time it happened, was a week ago soon after a firmware update.

Black body.
Serial # 6225XXX
Purchase date: 10/22/2015
Sounded like a machine gun, and then quit. Once it stopped, the camera resumed function as normal. Lasted all of 2-3 seconds.
Was using Manual Exposure Mode with grip on full Wasabi batteries.
Latest firmware as of 2 weeks ago.
03-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #888

Well, that's nice to hear that it was held only to a couple seconds! Sorry that it happened though.

Mine did it on two occasions, both of which I had to get the grip off and pull the battery before it stopped. Once I got the final FW update, didn't have it occur at all yet. It's sad that the issue isn't gone, but happy to see that the camera is able to recognize and stop it.
03-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #889

I haven't had this happen for over a year, and then a couple weeks ago it hit. The last FW stopped it but of course I lost the shot.

05-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mirror flap on my K-3

Mine has started doing mirror flapping this month. I am using the D-BG5 battery grip ,my dfa 150-450 and 1.4 hd teleconverter. The k3 body serial # is 498xxxx and firmware is version 1.21 . Am I about to lose my functional ( as yet ) camera in the near future?
05-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #891
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Mine has started doing mirror flapping this month. I am using the D-BG5 battery grip ,my dfa 150-450 and 1.4 hd teleconverter. The k3 body serial # is 498xxxx and firmware is version 1.21 . Am I about to lose my functional ( as yet ) camera in the near future?
Are you still under warranty? If so, get the camera fixed. If not, you might want to get a quote to determine the cost to fix. There is no reason to believe that the problem will go away on its own.

Steve
05-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I have the extended warranty and a k-50 backup. Tomorrow I make a phone call. Thanks for your input.

05-13-2016, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #893
Veteran Member

I think a key issue here is the battery level. If the battery is getting low I believe it has a greater chance of happening.

I've had my K3 for approx. 2 years so in my opinion I don't believe it is not major issue. We all have to make up our own minds on what is acceptable though.

Howie Be
05-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I think a key issue here is the battery level. If the battery is getting low I believe it has a greater chance of happening.

I've had my K3 for approx. 2 years so in my opinion I don't believe it is not major issue. We all have to make up our own minds on what is acceptable though.

Howie Be
Low battery level in the battery grip and my original pentax lion battery was not the problem. I bought my K-3 in december 2014 and it has over 24000+ actuations. Howie, how many times has this happened to your camera?Mine has had 3 episodes of mirror flapping that are happening with more frequency. I wonder if the actuations during mirror flapping are counted. No images were created during these paroxysms .
06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #895

K-r mirror crazies

Started with this issue about 3 years ago, was repaired but started again within months. Now just cannot use the camera because it is all the time, like every command has shorted out to the shutter.control. Will try to see if Pentax can do anything.
06-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not good to hear marctorr. Good luck on your quest. We all hope your issue is resolved soon. I am keeping my fingers cross having just gotten my well functioning K-3 back from Precision.
06-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #897

This is why I refuse to purchase any more Pentax bodies. The company should have admitted the defect early on and recalled them all...still should. Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer for deceptive business practices, just like Volkswagen.
06-29-2016, 02:54 AM   #898
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
This is why I refuse to purchase any more Pentax bodies. The company should have admitted the defect early on and recalled them all...still should. Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer for deceptive business practices, just like Volkswagen.
Good to have you back... six months since your last post...
06-29-2016, 03:39 AM   #899
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
I beg to differ with you. There is no evidence that the level of this problem meets such a standard. Pentax does fix problems within the warranty period (one year in the US standardly and three years with a 20 dollar extended warranty). Based on the isolated posts in this thread, it appears that electronic gear does eventually break, but once again, it doesn't appear to me that it is at a higher rate than would be expected from digital camera made by other brands.

A class action lawsuit would require a lot higher standard of fault than is suggested by the problems posted here and elsewhere on this forum.

But if you want to fund such a lawsuit this certainly is a country in which none of us can stand in your way.
06-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #900

K-r mirror crazies

Well, a few days ago, one of my K-R's was unusable due to crazy mirror syndrome all the time and pulled it out today, put in a different memory card and battery and now works good as new. Was it the North Carolina humidity? Perhaps it prefers the New Mexico dry air. Seems more likely that it has a preference for certain batteries and memory. They both work fine in the other camera, also a K-R. Just can no longer depend on Pentax so this is the last one I plan to buy. Will go back to a Sony or Canon.